Can it really be called racist if it's this inclusive?

I used to love to watch Don Rickles. Some people would complain that he picked on certain people. That wasn't true, he picked on EVERYBODY and ANYBODY. It didn't matter who or what you were, he had a joke to insult you! He didn't care if you were a movie star, someone he was friends with, a fat guy in the front row, a waiter serving dinner, or a fancy lady leaving to go the bathroom. Black, White, guy or gal, Chinese, Mexican, Catholic, Jewish, fat, skinny, tall or short. He would have a crack about you in some way.

...and they say he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet offstage.
Ricky Gervais carries that torch now...

No offence Rob, but in my whole life, the only people I've ever heard offer that explanation are the ones that tended to make the jokes that they count as humour. And in England, it has always been White Englishmen. Or Northern Irishmen. I'd almost bet my life you'd feel a whole way different if you spent an evening in Kingston or Detroit or even Stockwell being the butt of a continuous stream of "condescending towards Whites" humour aimed in your direction. And I'm not talking about the mild stuff. I doubt many of us would stomach a half-hour of a stand-up comedian cracking jokes about our Mothers' menstrual cycles or wives/girlfriend's/partner's lopsided vulvas or dry vaginas and applying a racial or cultural tag to it.

That all said, lots of unsavoury things are actually funny. To some people. I'm sure I could think of a few funny comments on the subject of someone's Mother dying on the loo and not being found for a few days or someone's baby bouncing like a newly blown-up basketball when dropped down the stairs by their big brother or someone flying like Superman straight through the windscreen of a car hitting a bus head-on.

It's not so much that there needs to be a committee on what is and what isn't funny. It's more that, after decades of having shitty comments and crap flung in one's direction, under the guise of "humour", those on the receiving end rather had enough and stood up and said, "Hey, you know what ? I don't like this. I never did, but now I'm going to tell you I don't and you can go suck on a horse's...um, mane 😸 if you don't like me saying so."
I do find it somewhat amusing that there are many people that complain that they can't get away with being condescending any more.
I lived in Windsor into my mid 20's during the 70's and spent an abundance of time in Detroit as that is where a good portion of my wife's family resides. During that time I had an abundance of encounters and relationships with the Afro-American community. The majority were a positive experience with a few or so being negative. I have black friends and had gone to black comedy clubs in downtown Detroit where the white portion of the audience was the minority. The black comedians would at times centre us out and crack a few honkey jokes,... and we laughed,... because they were funny,... and true. One of my favourite modern day comedians is Dave Chappelle. Some of my favourite skits he does are the ones about white folk,... because they're funny,... and true.

There is a famous concert venue in Detroit called COBO Hall. My friends and I attended well over a hundred concerts in that building during our youth. During each concerts there were an abundance of security guards throughout the hall and at least 90% were very fit black men. Some would look at you while bouncing their buttons off the concourse floor when making your way to your seating level with a stare that pretty much said,..."don't fuck up honkey". Was it intimidating?,... hell yeah,... but you respected it. Could they have just been pissed off at all whites,... yes, possibly,... and I would agree as to why that might be so. But, I had nothing to do with it and refuse to be held accountable for the deplorable behaviour of some racist white pricks who lived 400+ years ago or the ones who remain for that cause today.

In high school I had two black friends and we would joke with each other constantly back in forth about the humorous portions of our individual cultures,... because we found some of it funny,... and true. I spent a great amount of time at their homes and around their families and at no time did anyone get upset or insulted when the jokes started to fly. This was probably so due to the fact that none of us took ourselves SO DAMN SERIOUSLY back then. I can tell you I was the brunt of some jokes in those households after having a had a handful of drinks on a Saturday night and thinking I could dance as well as my black friends,... and they had the right to do so,... why?,... because it surely must have looked funny to them,... why?,... because it was true.

I come to music forums to escape the hatred and divisiveness (on both sides). Can we please stick to music?
But this section of the forum is Off-Topic. This is literally where people come to talk about everything BUT music. Your complaint would be valid in any other section of this forum, except the one you chose to make it in.

Kind of a weird thing to complain about considering this is what it says at the top of the front page of this section of the forum:

"

Prime Time​

Post thread
A fun gathering place for contributing members to talk about things other than recording."

:eek:

I come to music forums to escape the hatred and divisiveness (on both sides). Can we please stick to music?
Some members here chose to discuss real world issues and partake in stimulating conversation possibly in hopes to understand each other better and or to expand our minds to things we may not have known. This is a voluntary decision to stop here and engage,... or simply move on if it is not the cup of tea one was looking for. It's ok to discuss topics of controversy,... take that freedom of speech and expression away and we are headed for big trouble. Nothing new here, people of all nations and race have been doing it since their beginnings.

I like what you had to say, but you're a bit off the mark. Prime Time is the off topic area of discussions here at HR, but it is much much more civil than Prime Time's predecessor, The Cave. Truth is, Prime Time has been functionally harmonious, even in the midst of an election year. Differences of opinions are always welcome.

I get Noah's point, and in the past I asked if there was a way that a topic could be "ignored", basically like you could put a person on ignore. I never heard of any way that could be done, so I assume it's either not possible, or isn't a function that Audiofanzine wants to implement.

I get Noah's point,
But he doesn't really have one, though. He's complaining that a DESIGNATED "Off Topic" Forum contains subject matter that is "Off Topic". It makes no sense. There's no "point" at all. It's like walking into clearly marked "Hell's Angels" Headquarters and complaining there are too many motorcycles. :D

All he has to do is stay out of this part of the forum. You don't walk into a place that's clearly marked as being what it is, and then complain that the place is what it is. :eek:

Last edited:
Time to get that ball rolling! lol
Nah! Let's not get that ball rolling again here at HR, but I do have to ask @noah330 a question. You've been here at HR since 2009. I'll assume it that you're familiar with the history of The Cave, and I'll also assume it that you damn well know that Prime Time survived a period of transition, teetering back and forth between the worst of The Cave and the best foot forward that Prime Time has succeeded. There are boatloads of innoccuos threads here within Prime Time you could have engaged yourself, but you haven't.
Why now? After all this time?
What is it about this thread that made you jump the shark?
Random dude posted because he saw the humor within the advert. Someone else responded, putting forth a questionable racist spin on a thread, for reasons of his own, that the thread didn't deserve. But that's just the way it sometimes goes when people are free to speak (or post) freely. And that's exactly how it should be.

The funny thing is, I hadn't been here for about 6 years. I only started posting here again a few months ago. I stayed away from even looking at the posts in "Prime Time" because of all the political savagery that always went down. This is the first thread I start in Prime Time since posting here again. The only reason I started a (admittedly stupid) thread was because I noticed that there is absolutely no negative discourse going on here lately. Which is pretty impressive considering the political climate going on in in the real world right now. This place has been beyond civilized.

Kind of the most mis-guided thing to complain about here is "hate and divisiveness" because there's less than none going on.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say there's been any hatred or divisiveness. There's been showing different angles to the topic between people that generally get on, even if at times in the past they have gotten heated with one another.
Someone else responded, putting forth a questionable racist spin on a thread, for reasons of his own, that the thread didn't deserve
Who was that ? I can't find a single post that put a racist spin on this thread. The title posits the question as to whether or not the ad can be called racist. Views have been shared that look at the wider topic.

Nah! Let's not get that ball rolling again here at HR, but I do have to ask @noah330 a question. You've been here at HR since 2009. I'll assume it that you're familiar with the history of The Cave, and I'll also assume it that you damn well know that Prime Time survived a period of transition, teetering back and forth between the worst of The Cave and the best foot forward that Prime Time has succeeded. There are boatloads of innoccuos threads here within Prime Time you could have engaged yourself, but you haven't.
Why now? After all this time?
What is it about this thread that made you jump the shark?
Random dude posted because he saw the humor within the advert. Someone else responded, putting forth a questionable racist spin on a thread, for reasons of his own, that the thread didn't deserve. But that's just the way it sometimes goes when people are free to speak (or post) freely. And that's exactly how it should be.
Looking at my post-count, you'll see that although I may have been a member for fifteen years, I read more than I post.

It seems time to move on. No hard feelings, I just don't have the appetite to argue racism/politics.

Best wishes everyone! Maybe I'll check back in during 2039!

Back