Calling for Massive about monitors

Thurgood

I have used wharfies for 5 or so years. I now hate them. Boxy and annoying but... I am used to them and the mixes translate well. It's kinda like the old Ns-10 days. Recommendations in the 1000.00 range. I have had some recent requests for mixing some tunes and they have come out fine. The imagining is great but the "sound" is making me crazy.

Sorry for the re-post. Preemptive response to my thread, I have read 100's of items about monitors "which is better etc... " until my eyes began to bleed. For years. Since 2004. Done. I would like to get a response about the current items available that sound "accurate" and do the job well. Is that to much to ask? :) "Sound and accurate" is funny in the same sentence. Off to eat some nice soup. Be well all. WS.

Sorry for the re-post. Preemptive response to my thread, I have read 100's of items about monitors "which is better etc... " until my eyes began to bleed. For years. Since 2004. Done. I would like to get a response about the current items available that sound "accurate" and do the job well. Is that to much to ask? :) "Sound and accurate" is funny in the same sentence. Off to eat some nice soup. Be well all. WS.

Just in the $1000 range? Not in the 'best' price range yet IMO. I like soup too. :)

I am looking myself to get some updated monitors. Looking more in the $2500 range. Even then, I am sure it will just come back to learning again, what they are telling me. Start all over....

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I haven't heard much of anything in that price range anymore that "do it" for me. The ADAM's are pretty nice, maybe some used DynAudio BM15P's could be in that range, Mackie 624's (worthless without a sub and therefore a truckload of trapping)...

Personally can't stand those Yammie (HS80's?) but I know some people that are pretty happy with them...

Just in the $1000 range? Not in the 'best' price range yet IMO. I like soup too. :)

I am looking myself to get some updated monitors. Looking more in the $2500 range. Even then, I am sure it will just come back to learning again, what they are telling me. Start all over....

My boss uses the sE Monroe Eggs w/ a Focal sub. Total cost is $2,500 for the eggs, and then $1,000 for the sub, but holy wow, those things are great. I'd suggest those or at least going to a fancy store to check 'em out.

The Dynaudio BM5 MKII are $1k/pair. These are the real deal.

I have been in the audio business for 37 years, and as a rule HATE 95% of most speakers I hear. These have no listener fatigue whatsoever. I have mixed for extended periods of time, and have never had to walk away due to ear fatigue.

Thanks guys, sorry for the late response. Maybe fortune will shine on me and I can up my budget!. I have listened to the Dynaudio before and they were pretty good (good room helps). My friend has a pair of Adams, like those too. I want to get something useful for the $$. My wharfies are not that annoying but why not step up if you can. Translation is what I am about (that and limited ear fatigue). I generally monitor at 83 db or so and adjust frequently, ya know loud, quiet etc. I have an analtone that gets some use too. Thanks again, Be Well All.

I don't have anywhere near the experience that some of these guys have, but I have the Mackie 624s and get on really well with them.
I'm not aware of bass being a big issue, but I do final check on a pair of wharfedales with 12" drivers just to be sure about it.

I grabbed a pair of Yamaha HS-8 (updated HS80s) a week ago and I really like them. I have a KRK 10S sub that's been properly set up and the room is treated, so... there you go.

I've only heard the sE Eggs in a quick demo in a shop without the best in acoustics or quiet listening conditions--but my initial reaction was very positive indeed...certainly worth auditioning if you can find a place that can do it.

However, at the $2500 price range you're definitely in Genelec country. I'd DEFINITELY listen to whichever model hits your price range--I have to be a bit vague because I don't know US pricing. However, dollar for dollar Genelec make just about the best monitors on the market.

I grabbed a pair of Yamaha HS-8 (updated HS80s) a week ago and I really like them. I have a KRK 10S sub that's been properly set up and the room is treated, so... there you go.

What size is your mixing space that you'd have the additional sub? I've been eyeballing the updated HS8's as well.

I've only heard the sE Eggs in a quick demo in a shop without the best in acoustics or quiet listening conditions--but my initial reaction was very positive indeed...certainly worth auditioning if you can find a place that can do it.

However, at the $2500 price range you're definitely in Genelec country. I'd DEFINITELY listen to whichever model hits your price range--I have to be a bit vague because I don't know US pricing. However, dollar for dollar Genelec make just about the best monitors on the market.

Genelec's are on my list to demo. Thinking about getting THESE.

My sub is not matched to my system by any means. It works in the space and I have no issues with translation, though I am not sure it is the right thing.

And to the next post, My control room is 15' x 32' x 8' high. 10 4" 2'x4' rockwool panels, two of them above mixing spot, and 2 4" 2'x8' bass traps straddling corners behind my desk.

Jimmy, make sure to check out some solo 6be monitors if you can (I know this is a couple hundred more than you want to spend). I have only heard the twin 6be set in a professional environment but they are REALLY good. I actually like them more than the genelec set they have that cost them more (some set with 8" drivers, I can't remember wtf the model was. Older set, cabinets were boxes and not the newer contoured stuff).

My sub is not matched to my system by any means. It works in the space and I have no issues with translation, though I am not sure it is the right thing.

And to the next post, My control room is 15' x 32' x 8' high. 10 4" 2'x4' rockwool panels, two of them above mixing spot, and 2 4" 2'x8' bass traps straddling corners behind my desk.

I've read people say Genelecs are too flattering and arent the best speakers to mix on (Even by people who own them) I almost went for a pair of 8040s on Ebay because they must sound awesome. They were only 500.00 which is really cheap for Genelecs. I'm very happy with my Adam A7x. Have you looked into the Adam x or s line? Focals are supposed to be good too.

Do you have your first reflection point treated as well on the walls or is that it for treatment?

OP: I would check out Adams A7 or KRK VXTs.

I can't really recommend one over the other though as I have only heard the Adams and it wasn't for very long. They did seem to sound pretty good for mixing on (in that they didn't sound all that flattering).

I heard them in a studio not guitar center though. I don't even know how anyone could pick out a set of monitors in guitar center with the way they have them set up in that shitty fucking room. haha

Do you have your first reflection point treated as well on the walls or is that it for treatment?

Yeah, man. The side walls have 8 panels spaced 1.5 feet apart, starting at the reflection points from the desk. Just to add, my drum room has the whole ceiling (open joists)filled with rockwooland covered with cloth. Concrete floors and walls. 5- 4" panels hanging 8" from the walls. Same size as the control room. Well, the washer/dryer and my dirty laundry take up some of the space. lol

Jimmy, make sure to check out some solo 6be monitors if you can (I know this is a couple hundred more than you want to spend). I have only heard the twin 6be set in a professional environment but they are REALLY good. I actually like them more than the genelec set they have that cost them more (some set with 8" drivers, I can't remember wtf the model was. Older set, cabinets were boxes and not the newer contoured stuff).

That is the kind of personal experience info I am looking for. Thank you! I have not found a good listening environment to actually create a good judgment on monitors. Yeah, GC is not ideal. The nice thing tho, is that I can take them to my studio and return them if they don't work in my space.

I've read people say Genelecs are too flattering and arent the best speakers to mix on (Even by people who own them) I almost went for a pair of 8040s on Ebay because they must sound awesome. They were only 500.00 which is really cheap for Genelecs. I'm very happy with my Adam A7x. Have you looked into the Adam x or s line? Focals are supposed to be good too.

I haven't found the Genelecs "too flattering" but you DO have to take the time to set them up as per the manufacturer's instructions in terms of aiming, distance apart, free air around etc. Also note the DIP switches on the back of each unit that allow some pretty precise room adjustments--but it's also possible to make them sound "good" rather than "neutral".

FYI, my last two employers used them extensively in edit suites and audio post suites--our models in edit suites were a precursor to the one you're looking at; the big audio suites had some of the really big expensive ones (glad I wasn't paying with my own money!).

Back