Building a home studio on a budget

Half of my studio came from Turnkey.
You can get some good deals from Gear4Music online. I bought an 8 unit rack from them in a sale and wanted another one a year later but it was 40 quid more expensive so I rang them up and asked if they could match the original price and they agreed.
Its worth having a barter Ray.
Sorry not trying to be a smart arse, just I am a stingy bastard ! 😅
Cheers 😉👍

None of them had MTC. They had their own 9 pin sync connectors which apparently used something like MTC internally but you couldn't access the MTC directly and use it.

If you really want to sync them to anything you can either go the old fashioned way and stripe a track with timecode and use your current synchroniser or use a synchroniser with an ADAT 9 pin connection which gains you an extra track to record on. I use a MOTU Digital Timepiece when I need to sync things in my studio. It works with LTC, MTC, ADAT, Tascam DTRS, Digidesign Superclock and Sony RS422 protocols (and probably others that I've forgotten).

Personally I wouldn't bother using them as recorders - as I said elsewhere, just use them as extra A/D or D/A convertors with your computer.
Thats why I just use the DCC now as a stand alone deck with my home audio. I realise now it was never going to be a very good mastering option. I THINK I can master from the ADAT's to the PC and burn the masters to a plug in CD writer I have for the desktop?

Thats why I just use the DCC now as a stand alone deck with my home audio. I realise now it was never going to be a very good mastering option. I THINK I can master from the ADAT's to the PC and burn the masters to a plug in CD writer I have for the desktop?
Its all at the start of the learning process James. Thanks

Oh, a double-mention from Grim, thank you! I would not say that I DISDAIN stand-alone digital recorders, but found that the advantages of a computer DAW outweigh any of the 'conveniences' of a stand-alone. I used a Boss BR600 (up until 11 years ago) with 64 'virtual' tracks, but really only 6 tracks (4 mono, 2 stereo) available for mix-down meant lots of 'fader-riding' and bouncing of tracks when I was recording. I cringe when listening to those recordings now! Being able to comp tracks, automate, unlimited tracks/takes, and being able to 'undo' everything has made recording and mixing a joy instead of a chore!
Dont wish to open a bag of worms here, but I agree about your comments about "stand alone" gear totally.

In every genre, home hi fi and recording etc. Integrated music systems are more convenient but generally offer lower quality and less features and options than seperate dedicated units I believe.
For instance, I bought an SR16.... it is a great drum box but limited in that there are no expansion card options. I could have bought a second hand DM5 rack mount or a better Roland Drum rack mount.

Really hoping I wont get shot down again for this comment and opinion 😟😟😅😅😉😉👍👍👍

Oh, a double-mention from Grim, thank you! I would not say that I DISDAIN stand-alone digital recorders, but found that the advantages of a computer DAW outweigh any of the 'conveniences' of a stand-alone. I used a Boss BR600 (up until 11 years ago) with 64 'virtual' tracks, but really only 6 tracks (4 mono, 2 stereo) available for mix-down meant lots of 'fader-riding' and bouncing of tracks when I was recording. I cringe when listening to those recordings now! Being able to comp tracks, automate, unlimited tracks/takes, and being able to 'undo' everything has made recording and mixing a joy instead of a chore!
PS MJ..... Apart from the Yamaha MT8X, still love that thing 👍

PS MJ..... Apart from the Yamaha MT8X, still love that thing 👍
For a cassette deck system it is great, mechanism and drive top notch, clean and great S/N as are all Yamaha machines. But that dbx? Just horrible. A parametric and dolby C would have made it really so good.

Half of my studio came from Turnkey.
They were around for quite a while, then one day I noticed that they weren't. I didn't buy a great deal from them, but I do remember buying my SM58 from them. I used to like looking in there, even when I couldn't make head or tail of much of what I was looking at. I bought mic cables from them that I'm still using. I gave a nod to them and their ilk in a lyric though.
Did you ever check out Sound Control, which was located in the basement of the Virgin store on the Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford Street ? That was my go~to when I was making the switch to incorporating VSTis. It was about the only place I knew where you could actually listen to the samples before you took the plunge.

You can get some good deals from Gear4Music online
I do like Gear4Music. For the stingy budget-minded like me, they're brilliant. I bought an electric 12-string from them a few years back. And I just got a set of timbales from them to replace a set that I lent to a friend which came back wrecked. Both were under £100 and they do the job. They are eminently tweakable.

I do like Gear4Music. For the stingy budget-minded like me, they're brilliant. I bought an electric 12-string from them a few years back. And I just got a set of timbales from them to replace a set that I lent to a friend which came back wrecked. Both were under £100 and they do the job. They are eminently tweakable.
I agree, a lot of guys here are professional engineers or retired pro guys so their standards and knowledge and expectations are way above mine.
You know, I would not advise a 24 handicap golfer to buy the expensive golf clubs I have.

They were around for quite a while, then one day I noticed that they weren't. I didn't buy a great deal from them, but I do remember buying my SM58 from them. I used to like looking in there, even when I couldn't make head or tail of much of what I was looking at. I bought mic cables from them that I'm still using. I gave a nod to them and their ilk in a lyric though.
Did you ever check out Sound Control, which was located in the basement of the Virgin store on the Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford Street ? That was my go~to when I was making the switch to incorporating VSTis. It was about the only place I knew where you could actually listen to the samples before you took the plunge.
Sound Control had a shop in Newcastle. I got a lot of stuff from there in the 90s

Did you ever check out Sound Control, which was located in the basement of the Virgin store on the Tottenham Court Road end of Oxford Street ?
Never dealt with Sound Control. I think I went to Turnkey once with a friend, but I just gave them phone orders. They kept sending me little magazines, and I kept buying.
Stands,Racks,Cables,MS2000B. I'd never used Gear4Music until about a year ago. Last week I ordered patch bay units at 9:30pm, and they were here by lunchtime the next day.

Back