Building a guitar?

MrWrenchey

I'm starting this thread because I didn't want to hijack someone else's. I'm kinda curious if anyone knows of any particularly good books or forums or WHATEVER to point me in the right direction of what exactly I need for tools to get started, and how much I should plan on investing.

I'm not afraid to spend upwards of $1,000 for all the hardware I need to do this, I'm just kinda curious what it would cost to do it and do it well, and what I'd need to do with the tools when I get them.

Thanks for any help! =)

Hang in there. A couple of us are about to launch a thread about just this very soon. The last one descended into a troll fest so we are looking for options to avoid that..,..;)

Hang in there. A couple of us are about to launch a thread about just this very soon. The last one descended into a troll fest so we are looking for options to avoid that..,..;)

I didn't even know one had been started. Trolls need to go to the cave for a good ass spanking. The serious threads don't need that.
Anyway, I really look forward to following that thread and know I'll learn a lot

I bought a book a few months ago... <now where is it, ah!> Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock.

I bought it mainly to get ideas for making a neck. and also some help with finishing. Haven't really thumbed it all that much , so can't recommend or dissuade.

I do have some links you might find useful.

If you're in the US
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=328

I think these guys are expensive
Guitar Parts | AllParts.com

Everyone's favorite
STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Parts, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Hardware, Tools, Supplies, Free Information

Nitro finishing on StewMac
STEWMAC.COM : Nitrocellulose Finishing Schedule Free information

Another site
Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc.

Useful guide on tonewoods
Tonewoods used in the making of electric guitars - By Gaskell Guitars

If you're interested in veneering, some great advice
Getting Started In Veneering

and veneering supplier in the US.
Exotic Wood Veneer, Vacuum Press Systems, Veneering Tools and Veneering Supplies

My personal favorite
Welcome to Guitarfetish

Chili, you are a saint.

There are those who would disagree. :D

I'm excited to see what you're planning to do. I love seeing other people put together guitars. It's fascinating to watch the craftsmanship.

I did two bass projects. One was a refinish of a cheapo Yamaha and the other was a kit of sorts. Both projects I used a burled walnut veneer. Beautiful wood, just that I didn't do it justice. The Yamaha was my first attempt at anything like this and I have a thread in here somewhere on it. It came out meh.

The second was more involved. I bought the body and the neck and all the parts separately mostly from Guitarfetish. I just finished that one last week, but I'm not crazy about the clear coat which is why I'm asking John about his spray capabilities in his thread. I will say, though, it sounds killer nice. Love the tone on it. :)

I'm real excited because my lady got me a wood burning book and tools awhile ago so I've been studying and practicing that. I've never had a single coil guitar setup, so I want to make a Telecaster clone with noiseless pickups and a natural finish, and burn some fancy design into it to make it look nice and fancy/custom. I've been wanting to do this for MONTHS, but I'm still just trying to figure out how to do it.

Just a little update. I have spoken to one or two of the mod team and they are investigating ways to organise a build-a-long thread that only key contributors can post in but is visible to all. That way the thread should be derailed. All questions and comments will go into an open thread that all will be free to post in. That way the specific information should remain in one place and be easy to access. Got a reply from Chatar this morning and she is on the case.

I didn't even know one had been started. Trolls need to go to the cave for a good ass spanking. The serious threads don't need that.
Anyway, I really look forward to following that thread and know I'll learn a lot

It was a related thread that got derailed. I invited the main perpetrator to the cave but he declined..

There are those who would disagree. :D

I'm excited to see what you're planning to do. I love seeing other people put together guitars. It's fascinating to watch the craftsmanship.

I did two bass projects. One was a refinish of a cheapo Yamaha and the other was a kit of sorts. Both projects I used a burled walnut veneer. Beautiful wood, just that I didn't do it justice. The Yamaha was my first attempt at anything like this and I have a thread in here somewhere on it. It came out meh.

The second was more involved. I bought the body and the neck and all the parts separately mostly from Guitarfetish. I just finished that one last week, but I'm not crazy about the clear coat which is why I'm asking John about his spray capabilities in his thread. I will say, though, it sounds killer nice. Love the tone on it. :)

The finishing process is the thing that kills most peoples enthusiasm. Stick at it and don't forget that how it plays and sounds is the most important thing.

I bought a book a few months ago... <now where is it, ah!> Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock.

I bought it mainly to get ideas for making a neck. and also some help with finishing. Haven't really thumbed it all that much , so can't recommend or dissuade.

I do have some links you might find useful.

If you're in the US
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=328

I think these guys are expensive
Guitar Parts | AllParts.com

Everyone's favorite
STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Parts, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Hardware, Tools, Supplies, Free Information

Nitro finishing on StewMac
STEWMAC.COM : Nitrocellulose Finishing Schedule Free information

Another site
Luthiers Mercantile International, Inc.

Useful guide on tonewoods
Tonewoods used in the making of electric guitars - By Gaskell Guitars

If you're interested in veneering, some great advice
Getting Started In Veneering

and veneering supplier in the US.
Exotic Wood Veneer, Vacuum Press Systems, Veneering Tools and Veneering Supplies

My personal favorite
Welcome to Guitarfetish

Part of the build-a-long project will be to list a bunch of recommended links and reading. We may even have the possibility of getting some interest from suppliers if I can sweet talk them. How that will work across the pond I'm not sure yet. We will be setting a budget and a list of essentials as well as including tools you can improvise or make. The whole idea is to get people on the road without vast expense and to show that it can be done.

I know I have said this before but be wary of sites that claim to give definitive advice on tonewood characteristics.

Finally just so that we are working in the right direction if anyone has a real preference for a syle of guitar that they would like this project to focus on let us know now. To my mind it needs to be either a Les Paul Junior style or a tele style. Both are excellent designs and would be a good start point for a first project as the geometry is relatively simple. My preference is for a Junior style but thats cos I have a few tele's kicking about and make quite a few of them already.

Other suggestions are welcome and would be considered.

I was really wanting to build a Les Paul style guitar, and a tele as well. So you nailed exactly what I was wanting to do. xD

Back