Building a guitar?

I think focusing on the basics would be the best way to go. It's just natural enthusiasm that makes a person want to do things better, and or different than is planned originally. I think embellishments can only slow the process, and divert the attention away from what is most important. I have a few friends that I've helped build guitar's, so I speak from experience when I say "keep it simple".

Most of the material that's commonly available here in the USA is 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, and 7/4. About the only time you'll see 1 1/2" is in construction grade lumber.

I've been researching sources for low cost body blanks, so I'm prepared for when this happens. I'll have info to pass along in the project thread.

The difference in cost for decent timber between 6/4 and 8/4 can be significant for those worried about bodging it.. As I said though it matters not to me I have loads of the stuff kicking about. 7/4 isn't going to leave a lot for clean up?

Last edited:
OK moving on, hopefully tomorrow we should have an answer about organising the build thread. I have a few hours airport lounge time in the morning and then a bit more in the week to come that should allow me to put some meat on the bones so to speak. I'll put together a basic outline and run it by few people then we should be good to start...

Hey mutt, is this a good way to fix a neck problem?

Not-Good.jpg

Any updates on that thread? It's almost the weekend again and I haven't heard anything about it!

I've been away for the start of the week so haven't had much quality time to divert onto this. I have spoken with chatar and chili and they are going to mod the thread quite specifically to keep it organized rather than mess around with sub forums and closed threads.

More importantly I've been discussing some of the detail with JCH because I think he has a lot to offer this from a builders perspective. He would bring a real life part time builders perspective to it. I'm often spoiled because I have everything I need at my fingertips and have been building guitars day in day out for too long. What may seem a simple task or explanation to me may not be as accessible as I might imagine. JCH is also putting some thought into this and I'm sure he will get the balance right. He usually does...

I would hope that we will be running with it soon. I just have a few days back log of repairs and setups to catch up on and then a bit of time to post up the detail..

Back