Boss Compact serie- trs input?

Treskalle

Tried some hours searching around the web after some answer to this, but didn't find anything. (Might not be the best researcher).

I bought some MONO patchcables(jack) from the internet, along with another Boss compact serie pedal (Super overdrive). Got the patchcables, only in stereo jack (trs). The problem is that when I plug the trs into the input it won't work, but when I try with a mono jack is working. Wonder if anyone have a tips for this or I might do anything wrong, or is it just that simply it won't work?

Have no chance to deliver the monopatches back, and I only got 3 and 6 meters long cables, a bit too long for patches I think;)

That's a guitar pedal right? Guitar pedals are mono and you will want to use mono jacks with them.
Don't quite understand what you said, as you said you bought mono ones, but got stereo ones?
Whatever the case - you want to use mono with that pedal :)

Yeah, sorry. It is a boss compact serie. It's guitar pedal. Mono in/out. But Boss have a thing with you have to plug in a jack before it want to work. Don't see why stereo jacks won't work, the only difference is a ring.

I ordered some mono but got stereo, the shop sent wrong. Very complicated history, so won't tell it here, but I can't return them for some mono.

Yeah, sorry. It is a boss compact serie. It's guitar pedal. Mono in/out. But Boss have a thing with you have to plug in a jack before it want to work. Don't see why stereo jacks won't work, the only difference is a ring.

I ordered some mono but got stereo, the shop sent wrong. Very complicated history, so won't tell it here, but I can't return them for some mono.

Ah I see.
The reason why it wont work - correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but;

Stereo jacks have a different signal on each ring. Mono jacks just have the one. If you plug a stereo jack into the pedal and it's not working, this is because the mono guitar signal is only on one of the rings, which happens to be the ring which isn't touching the connection inside the pedal. So as far as the pedal knows, it's receiving an empty signal. And from the guitar signals point of view, it is not connected to the pedal.

You can use one of those short TRS patch cables by soldering a jumper across the ring/sleeve connections on one end of the cable... I'd just buy the right cable... but in a pinch it will work

The battery ground goes to ring in the jack, so when you plug in a TS plug, the shield connects battery ground to circuit ground. That won't work with a TRS plug, unless you jump ring to shield internally. If the plugs are molded, you're pretty much out of luck.

I finally got it. Some hours with testing I found a solution. If I just use the Boss adapter into the Boss pedal, and the TRS patch from a tuner it won't work. If I use the adapter in the Tuner and use a "multiadapter" from the tuner to the Pedal and use the Patch cable in the middle, it will work. It's weird, but simple. Sorry bout this thread. Perhaps it helped someone?

Back