Book Recommendations

HeavyDluxe

Hi all...

I'm a college music major (reeds) who toured/recorded professionally for a couple years. Now, I'm looking to get into recording starting with a small project/home studio for me to tinker with... Down the road, a couple former buds and I have 'joked' about opening a 'real' studio.

First, I need to figure out what the heck I'm doing...

I've always been a good book learner, so I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on good beginner recording books. I'm (ideally) looking for something fairly meaty given that I have some experience. I've looked at some online sites start-up guides and found them to be a little fluffy and simple for my liking. (Though I haven't checked out a start up guide on this site yet).

On Amazon, it appears that the following books are big hits. Anyone have any comments/criticisms/praises to give?
HOME RECORDING FOR DUMMIES

RECORDING IN THE DIGITAL WORLD
** This looks cool since it's a Berklee Press book (seems like they always have good stuff)

AUDIO PRO HOME REC COURSE

I'd love to hear what y'all would recommend! Thanks in advance for posting and helping out!

Musically, Dluxe

Thanks for the suggestions, Spin... Any priority to the order of your posts? Just trying to figure out where to spend my (limited) cash to get started.

Thanks, Dluxe

Books are good, but with the internet there's so much free information out there. Most recording magazines have back issues online. www.soundonsound.com is a good place to start, look in techniques. It's a snowball effect essentially, find and read as much as you can, then google the terms/techniques that you are fuzzy about, repeat....
Good luck!!

The editor of Sound on Sound, Paul White, has written some good books. I keep referring to Recording and Production Techniques. A big book with all you should need to know is Rumsey and McCormick's one ... can't remember the title ... it's very dry though and not always a practical help.

Dragon's home page for HR.com has a few good suggestions too. Take another look there.....

Back