Bluebird mic making a low buzzing noise when I record

sbachie

Hello all,

I'm a recording newbie and would appreciate some help! I've been recording on a Bluebird mic with an Icicle USB preamp and garageband. My song has been recorded beautifully until today. All of a sudden, when I press record, I get a low steady buzzing noise. A file is attached so you can hear. I didn't change anything from yesterday to today.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?

Attachments

• test.mp3
    284.4 KB
Hi,
That sounds like what I'd expect to hear if the microphone grill was loose or damaged or if the chassis/grill connection to earth was broken somehow.
Has the microphone sustained any visible damage or been dropped recently?

Thanks for your reply! No, it hasn't been damaged, dropped or moved even. The gain was up to high when I recorded that. When it was as low as it could go, it was a bit quieter but still there.

Can you give us a clip with some speaking level voice for comparison, to get an idea of how prominent this buzz is?

Hello all,

I'm a recording newbie and would appreciate some help! I've been recording on a Bluebird mic with an Icicle USB preamp and garageband. My song has been recorded beautifully until today. All of a sudden, when I press record, I get a low steady buzzing noise. A file is attached so you can hear. I didn't change anything from yesterday to today.

Any ideas on what could be the issue?
Its hard to say definitively, but if the mic base is not screw down it causes it, so does bare xlr connections touching the floor, or a laptop power supply that the Y capacitor went bad in it.

Back