Best Pre-Amp Under $150?

hnia6

I need a pre amp for vocals and guitars (acoustic & electric). I don't have compression. Someone recommended the ART Pro Channel, which I can get for $159. I like the idea that it has EQ and compression. However, I checked out some reviews and saw complaints about distortion. I don't want noise. What do you all think? I can't afford to get carried away. What's the best I can do for my price range?

Are you looking for a stereo pre amp to be able to do both guitar and something else at the same time or a mono for one track recording at a time? If so you would still want to spend more than $150. for a nice preamp.
What microphones are you to run through this preamp?

M-Audio DMP3 -- Probably the only preamp in that price range that doesn't deserve to be thrown into a tire fire.

I bought a Studio Projects VTB-1 a few weeks ago because they were on super special, I have tried it on electric guitar and Vocal and it turns in a good performance. Sound on Sound were impressed too. It is however only a single channel unit. You could however buy 1 now and another one later. Here is Oz there is a supplier selling 2 in a rack adaptor on special at the moment so have a look around.

Alan.

I'm recording at home and the ART has only one input anyway. I would be using one instrument at a time for as far as I can see. My mic is a Sterling ST51.

Please keep the feedback comming, especially moresound. I'm curious as to your thoughts/inquiry relative to my mic, which I understand is not top of the line gear.

Well for $100 you could have done a wee bit better for a microphone.

Are you looking for a new microphone as well?

As far as a preamp goes what both Alan and John suggested would work for you.

I got a good price quote on a PreSonus Studio Channel and an AT2020. What do you think about that direction?

I can get a AT2020 for $60 new. It seems there are more postive reviews for the AT2020 over the ST51, which I already got rid of on CL. Do you agree that it's overall, at least a little better between the two? I appreciate the other suggestions, but $60 is pretty hard to walk away from and if I'm doing even a little better, it's worth it to me. Some say the AT2020 is bright, but that's a plus to me.

M-Audio DMP3 -- Probably the only preamp in that price range that doesn't deserve to be thrown into a tire fire.

I certainly haven't tried them all--but from what I have tried, I'd agree with this. I don't have a DMP3 per se, but I have a couple of 8 channel Octanes (in fact, they represent 16 of my 32 channels in). And from what I understand, they are the same pre as the DMP3 (just 8 in a single unit). I've got other "specialty" pres that I use for really important tracks, but I've got drums and all sorts of electric guitars going through the Octanes, and I'm not at all disappointed.

Last edited:
I can get a AT2020 for $60 new. It seems there are more postive reviews for the AT2020 over the ST51, which I already got rid of on CL. Do you agree that it's overall, at least a little better between the two? I appreciate the other suggestions, but $60 is pretty hard to walk away from and if I'm doing even a little better, it's worth it to me. Some say the AT2020 is bright, but that's a plus to me.

It's your $60. You know it wouldn't hurt to get it and if you out grow it then off to CL it is.

I've got a Studio Channel as well as a DMP3, and they both slay! Haven't experimented much with the StudioChannel yet though.
I've used the AT2020 of a friend. I would say it's closer to "light". It just seemed too thin.
Did sound pretty cool on background acoustic guitar in his mix though :p
I suppose every sound has its own place, especially for $60

I have both the DMP3 and the ART Pro Channel, and I think they are both pretty decent! The DMP3 is definitely cleaner, but you can crank it up without distorting or adding much noise, very useful!

The Pro Channel has tons of different knobs and settings on it, and I haven't used them all yet, but I have been happy with it on vocals, bass direct and kick drum.

So far, I definitely think the ST51 was thinner than the AT2020; it is brighter and louder on the same settings. Got the PreSonus studio channel; haven't played with the eq or compression much but when they're both bypassed, the sound is pretty good. For my skill level; I'm good for a while.

Pres and converters are probably the worst things to 'go cheap' on. They really can make all the difference.

Edit: not to say that you have to spend over a thousand bucks, but $150 isn't even enough for me to recommend something used.

Pres and converters are probably the worst things to 'go cheap' on. They really can make all the difference.

Edit: not to say that you have to spend over a thousand bucks, but $150 isn't even enough for me to recommend something used.
I can see how pro studios don't rely on relatively cheap gear, but I don't think hobbyist need the same quality and durability. A pro might say a $150 preamp is worthless for everything while a home recordist has years of good use with it.

I'm not a pro studio. I have an Apogee Duet, purchased used for $280. I consider that an inexpensive bargain, but it is far from cheap. M-Audio pres stink, period. And the drivers are worse.

Back