Best interface for my SM7b and ISA One (Budget-$300)

joms

Given that I will be getting a Shure SM7b and Focusrite ISA One, what would be the best interface to get for roughly $300?

Note:

1) To be used for PC and MAC
2) To be used for recording my voice (singing) to my computer. No recording of piano/drums/etc. Only vocals.
3) Im a total noob
4) For home recording only
5) I don't need a lot of channels. Actually I only need 1 (for my mic) or at most, two.

Other questions:

1) Do interfaces have preamps as well? If so, won't it be redundant if I already have an ISA one preamp?

2) Is firewire much better than USB 3.0? If not, i'd rather get the USB 3.0 so that I can use it on my Macbook pro

3) I looked at the option of the ISA One wherein it has a digital out upgrade. However, it doesnt have USB nor firewire. How can I connect the ISA One if it doesn't have USB or firewire? Is the digital interface of ISA One any good?

4) If my preamp has +50 gain and my interface has a +30 gain, does that mean that I have a total of +80 gain for my SM7b? Or can I only use either the gain of the preamp/interface?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
Ordinarily the preamp gain would be the only thing you'd take into account.
The reason is that you'd usually run the preamp into a line input or digital input which wouldn't offer any further amplification.

Gain specs on an interface usually refer to the built in preamps, which you would want to bypass.

Basically, some interfaces have preamps and some don't.
Look for an interface with line level inputs or spdif in (assuming the Isa has spdif out).
I know echo have a little 2 channel with line inputs. Maybe that would do?

As for firewire and USB 3 - which is better?
Neither really. It only really matters if you're pushing the maximum bandwidth and with a few channels you won't be.
I don't know the numbers but I'm sure either technology is capable of 16 simultaneous IO or something like that.

Given that I will be getting a Shure SM7b[/URL] and a Focusrite ISA One, what would be the best interface to get for roughly $300?

Given the really excellent all-in-one's available today (pre and A/D/A) I'm no longer as big a fan of standalone preamps as I once was. If you're looking for an esoteric sound (and you can afford 'em) then they have their place but if what you're looking for is clean ample gain then IMO they're a waste of money. The ISA One in particular is one of those pres marketed to n00bs who think that they need a boutique pre to get the sound they want. $500 per channel? Pfffftttt. Given your budget what you gain with a decent pre (and the ISA One is a decent pre) you'll probably lose with your bargain A/D/A converter.

Skip the ISA One and look at a RME Babyface, Apogee Duet, or Sound Devices USBPre 2. All damn solid, all great pres, and all highly regarded.

I'm not a newbie but I have 2 ISA Ones and like them very much.
They provide so much versatility for the price.
Bought them for $300 each. One new, one was about 1 month old.
I run them into the Line-Ins of my Firewire Mixer.

Back