Best album in terms of lyrics or allround musically.

Thanks for the replies. If nothing else this has given me a little confidence, for a minute here I thought that I was the only one around who actually likes decent music and also proud to say I know little about the shite in the charts these days.

dragonworks, LOVE was great..was "Orange Skies" on the Forever Changes LP or one of the others?......

Hey Ben "If I Had A Boat" and "Walk Through The Bottomland" are my faves on "Pontiac"....good taste, both y'all...gibs

I think I was fifteen when I got the Love album with Orange Skies on it...and I had a girlfriend that loved the song as well....I had a car 8 track copy too, and we'd make out listening to it down by the lake....I'll do a search at one of the cd store sites and find out what album it's on......gibs

Gibs

Orange skies was originally on DaCapo.
How in hell did you find that Clarence White
site? You are my hero you know.

Gibs... of course we both have good taist... as we are both Texan's (ex Texan for me anyway)... but does that mean we taste good??

sorry charlie lol

Ben

It's a tie between...

Aja (Steely Dan)
Every song on that album is a recording masterpiece. Period.

Puzzle (Dada)
Best two-part harmony since Lennon and McCartney.
Awesome guitarwork.
Flawlessly engineered.

These aren't necessarily my three favorite albums, but I think they're worth a look.

The Beatles -- "The Beatles" (aka White Album) There are a lot of Beatles albums from which to choose, and they are all good (except for the original YS with only four new songs), but the White Album is the favorite. For one, the album has one of the most diverse stylistic mix you'll hear. For another, the Beatles really rock on this one ("Yer Blues," "Helter Skelter," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," and others). Aside from the infamous "Revolution 9," the whole album is good.

Queen -- "A Night at the Opera" Yes, Freddie Mercury really could sing that well, and yes, those clarinets and trombone sounds are really Brian May on guitar. Another album without a weak song that ranges from 1930's Hollywood whimsy ("Seaside Rendezvous") to sci-fi skiffle ("'39"). Side two is my favorite LP side on any album. "The Prophet's Song" is Brian May at his finest, "Love of My Life" is a tear-jerker, "Good Company" features the famous clarinet guitar, and "Bohemian Rhapsody" speaks for itself.

Matthew Sweet -- "Girlfriend" While "In Reverse" may be a slightly better album, I'll give this one the nod just because of its production. Or lack of production. Dry vocals, dry guitars, and lots of harmony. The title track proves you can still make great three-chord rock and roll.

MikeDog

[This message has been edited by MikeDog (edited 07-31-2000).]

I agree that elvis costello is good

BUT

I think that the best record in terms of good music and good lyrics is

ANDREA BOCELLI--------SOGNO

proof of this is that the song has been out for about 60 weeks (aug 2000) and it has been the NO.1 WORLD ALBUM for all the weeks but four

NOw the best instrumental album,

WITHOUT a Subjective doubt ,

would be

drum roll
KENNY G
KENNY G
KENNY G
KENNY G BREATHLESS
KENNY G BREATHLESS
KENNY G BREATHLESS
KENNY G BREATHLESS

every track is EXCELLENT and it even has a world record as , I think, the instrumental record with the most sales.

"Summer Breeze"- Seals & Crofts
"Kindness of Strangers" -Spock's Beard
"New York" and "the Blue Mask" - Lou Reed

Its not so much an album, but a computer game.
Its a game called turrican 2. An artist called chris hulesbeck makes the music for it, its quite old, but I love it!!!Its called Turriacn 2, title, the renewale. The content of the tune is amazing, always going from feeling to feeling, I mean most tunes do, but really, when I listened to it the other day, it made me feel that alot of tunes now days don't seem to have as much quantity as this, but I suppose thats not the point really, its how it sounds. But anyways its a good tune if your into anything that goes. He also as an album out, but I dont think it has the tune.

Back