Best album in terms of lyrics or allround musically.

I've always been a fan of Van Morrison but I especially liked his "Poetic Champions Compose" album. Another of my favorites would have to be Counting Crows "Recovering The Satellites". I'm sure that you could draw a lot of parallels between a lot of Van Morrison's work and what Counting Crows have done. I also have to agree with most of the other replies I've read. There are some great artists on this list.

Here are four recordings I think are great but somewhat underrated (Except for the forst one):

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Oranges and Lemons - XTC
Waiting for Bonaparte - The Men They Couldn't Hang
Silvertown - The Men They Couldn't Hang

Will C.:cool:

Maldita Vecindad y los hijos del quinto patio

I think you dont know them cause they are from Mexico, but their lyrics and their music are one of my favorites mixes and music...
try them in napster.

Maldita vecindad - pachuco -or- el circo

Buck62 said:
It's a tie between...

Aja (Steely Dan)
Every song on that album is a recording masterpiece. Period.

And furthermore, i don't think there is such a thing as a bad Steely Dan song.

Sorry guys.... Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off!

The ultimate 'stuck on a desert island' albums are (3)

1. James Taylors greatest hits. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

2. Heart Like a Wheel by Linda Ronstadt. Excellent

3. I almost said Tragic Kingdom, Its really that good but...

The real #3 is easily Wallflowers.

I'm a bit younger(18) it seems and I got into older rock(60's and 70's) late... Like, I was almost 17. I'm really into newer things. I'm in know way trying to impose these as superior to the "greats," as some of you might insist.

Toad the Wet Sprocket- Coil
Chris Cornell- Euphoria Morning
Toad the Wet Sprocket- Dulcinea
Tonic- Lemon Parade
Dave Matthews Band- Under the Table and Dreaming
Smashing Pumpkins- Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Jars of Clay- Much Afraid

I also really enjoyed Hootie and the Blowfish- Fairweather Johnson, but I'm not sure I would put it up with the others because I'm really partial to the acoustic "vibe" of the album more than the songwriting and production.

I would also recommend everyone, even if you laugh at my list, to give a hard listen to Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning. It is truly excellent.

Here are my top five most obscure faves ' ' '

"THANKS I'LL EAT IT HERE" - Lowell George

"BUT SERIOUSLY FOLKS" - Joe Walsh

"T-SHIRT" - Louden Wainwright the toid

"BLADES" - Steve Kahn

"SKETCHES OF SPAIN" - Miles Davis

This thread is quite long, now it's a little longer. There's some good albums coming up here-some of you actually have taste.

weezer. rivers cuomo hasn't written a bad song in his whole life, i'll bet. both the =w= albums, and their new songs, kick ass. there's not a single bad song on any of em.

I'd also have to agree with what someone else said about the Carol King: Tapestry album. There are some EXCELLENT songs on there. OK, so nearly all the songs are excellent. Heh.

Weezer kick ass!!!

i think that Jeff Buckly's album 'Grace' is an unreal album, both musically and lyrically...Alex Lloyd's 'Black the Sun' is good too...

Tim

"Rythem of the Saints" Paul Simon
"Pontiac" Lyle Lovit
"Bring the Family" John Hiatt
"Exudus" Bob Marley
"Whats Going On" Marvin Gaye

Best Intstramental
"Passion " Peter Gabriel
"Ariel Boundries" Michael Hedges

This is not an absolute list. Just a first thought.

Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd)

The best selling Rock album of all-time! It was on the charts for something like 9 years straight. Truly a masterpiece.

[Edited by Buck62 on 09-02-2000 at 21:15]

ditto.

"Forward he cried from the rear, and the front ranks died."

"the folded paper holds their faces to the floor, and everyday the paperboy brings more."

"and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run...you missed the starting gun."

The lyrics alone put it over the top, but we get freaking unbelievably sweet music, and production to boot.

For a band as uncommercial as Pink Floyd (was) to have an album on the charts that long, it HAD to be good.

It was, is, and always shall be.

Kudos to those who already posted some of my favorited albums.
Namely
Lou Reed-New York
Paul Westerberg- Eventually (My friend saw it in my rack and asked "Does this have the song that makes me cry?" (Love Untold)- If a song makes people cry-enough said.
DADA-Puzzle
Matthew Sweet-Girlfriend (Better songs, more feeling than his newer albums)
Elvis Costello-(someone said any, but I'm going with King of America)
and yes Metallica's Master of Puppets
All great albums, and I'm glad I'm in the company of such good tastes.

BUT

One album changed my life.

I know none of you have probably heard this but
Smile by Change of Heart is the most amazing piece of music I've ever heard. It had to be cut down to 72 minutes to fit on a CD. It was all recorded live to DAT (1992), and all the songs flow together to make it feel like one piece. I used to play it as I fell asleep every night for nearly 2 years. It's a concept album themed on environmental degradation, and if you ever come accross a used copy, BUY IT. If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you, since I've worn out 2 copies already, and it's out of print.
Sample Lyrics
"I don't think we really see what the problem is,
What is lost, and what will be forgotten here
Living mad to make tomorrows today
breeding loss in all directions
just remember treasure what you find"--Ian Blurton COH

Jeff

[Edited by jvasey on 09-12-2000 at 23:08]

Back