Behringer Phantom Power, NOT working

Delta_Slider

I bought a Behringer Eurorack MX802A used. Everything on it seems to work fine except the phantom power, I switch it on, the LED goes on and then fades and goes out. I have another pre-amp so I know its not the cables or the mic, etc.

I have been told a couple times that Behringer had trouble with the power supplies and that is the problem. Seems odd to me since the rest of the board works. Will a new power supply fix the problem?

Thanks,

It's probably the 48V generator that is shut...most likely a capacitor that holds some charge. You could probably fix it yourself, providing you have a nice knowledge of electric circuits.

The 48V is probably generated by:

1) A DC charge pump

or

2) A separate switching supply

Either circuit is quite simply and can be easily fixed.
If the remaining of the board works well, the main power supply is surely good.

Thanks for the info, I'll think twice before just ordering a new power supply. However, I am not too handy with electronics so I guess I will weigh the costs of having it fixed vs buying a new one.

Delta_Slider said:
Thanks for the info, I'll think twice before just ordering a new power supply. However, I am not too handy with electronics so I guess I will weigh the costs of having it fixed vs buying a new one.
As I said, the problem lies WITHIN the mixer, not with the external power supply. So changing it will NOT improve matters. You have to open the mixer up and perform the repair.

I had one like that, it was the switch itself on mine. Try flicking yours on with varying force, I bet there's a sweet spot where it'll turn on. Anyway, just break out the two wires going to the switch and wire them up to a replacement switch.

It WAS the switch! WooHoo! So for now I have it bypassed and if the main is on then the Phantom is on. Anybody see any reason why I couldn't leave it this way? I almost always need to use the phantom power anyway.

Back