Basic analog home studio setup

dhagen

I am looking to set up a basic analog rig for my home studio--just to record acoustic guitar and vocals. I don't have a lot of cash; I don't want anything fancy. Just a simple set up. I'm thinking an old mixing board to a reel to reel that I can then run into my DAW for copying to CD. What would be the most affordable route to accomplish this?

I have only recorded with digital, so my analog knowledge is very limited. Let's see if I've got this right: set up the mix on the board, run the stereo out into the left and right channels of the reel to reel, and record onto one stereo track? Obviously, that does not allow for any post recording mixing to be done, so I feel like my understanding is missing some big piece of the puzzle. Can anyone point me toward some reading I can do to learn about the ways of analog? Thanks.

Please excuse my ignorance.

You have a lot of options. If you're going to send it to a DAW and CD anyway, you probably would want a 4 track 1/4" reel to reel, like a Tascam 22-4. Heck you may be pleased with Tascam's 4 track cassette offerings (Portastudio)

Like Muckleroy said,try for a cassette 4 track.
If its only for vocals and acoustic guitar,this would work fine.
You can get some nice sounds with these.

If you only ever need two tracks simultaneously and you would like to edit in the digital domain, you can get something like a Tascam 32 (relatively cheap and common 1/4" 2 track) and record your guitar and vox onto two tracks. Put that on the DAW and then if you are overdubbing anything, just monitor off the record head into your DAW.

A good reliable Tascam 32 can be had for a couple of hundred and it has two (1/4" TRS) microphone inputs so you can record without an external mixer and just do all your editing on the DAW. If you need XLR inputs, you can get the Tascam 44.

The good thing here is that you will get much better fidelity than a cassette 4 track and if you want to upgrade later, you can always use the 2 track for mixing down in analog.

I would also suggest a 4 track. Tascam is most likely the way to go since they still sell many parts needed for repair. I've never worked with multi track cassette machines but it sounds like a good idea.

If you're ambitious, you might keep on the lookout for a Tascam 388 aka Studio 8 (although I've rarely heard it referred to by that name) it's 8 tracks on 1/4" tape with built in mixer. Othewise, for guitar and voice, 4 tracks is probably fine, and plenty of self contained cassette options. if you want open reel a Teac 22-4 or 3440 with a 8x4 Teac/Tascam mixer would do nicely. You'd need additional cabling, and then you'd be (presumably) mixing to digital, and mastering on PC

Like others have said, there are a lot options. I'm doing about what you're describing and the basic bits for me are a used Tascam M50 mixer, a Teac 3440 4 channel reel to reel, and a Focusrite Pro 24 inteface for my Macbook.

Most any decent 4 or 8 buss mixer will work for you; I'm sure there are tons of Mackie 1604s on CL, which is where I found my Tascam. An M35 Tascam would also be a good choice and maybe easier to find. Likewise keep an eye on CL for the 3440 (or a good 3340), but the 3440 might be a little more rare. As has been mentioned, there are a number of Tascam cassettes out there that would work, if you don't get a Porta-studio unit, the Tascam 234 would be the best. Like the 3440 reel to reel, it's a four track machine with simul-sync capability. It was very well made but it's also perhaps a little harder to find.

I went with the Focusrite 24 over an Apogee Duet converter (or other 2 channel converter) so I would have the option of dubbing all 4 analog tracks into the computer at once.

I know I'm not one of the old hands around here, but I'm finding that this setup works very well. I'm also pretty picky about the condition of the gear I'm buying, so that's making the process a little more drawn out, but it pays off in the end.

Hope this helps.

Like others have said, there are a lot options. I'm doing about what you're describing and the basic bits for me are a used Tascam M50 mixer, a Teac 3440 4 channel reel to reel, and a Focusrite Pro 24 inteface for my Macbook.

Most any decent 4 or 8 buss mixer will work for you; I'm sure there are tons of Mackie 1604s on CL, which is where I found my Tascam. An M35 Tascam would also be a good choice and maybe easier to find. Likewise keep an eye on CL for the 3440 (or a good 3340), but the 3440 might be a little more rare. As has been mentioned, there are a number of Tascam cassettes out there that would work, if you don't get a Porta-studio unit, the Tascam 234 would be the best. Like the 3440 reel to reel, it's a four track machine with simul-sync capability. It was very well made but it's also perhaps a little harder to find.

I went with the Focusrite 24 over an Apogee Duet converter (or other 2 channel converter) so I would have the option of dubbing all 4 analog tracks into the computer at once.

I know I'm not one of the old hands around here, but I'm finding that this setup works very well. I'm also pretty picky about the condition of the gear I'm buying, so that's making the process a little more drawn out, but it pays off in the end.

Hope this helps.

I would get atleast a 4 track cassette or Reel to Reel the two tracks like the 32 or 22 series is just to limiting. 4 track is way way more useable even if you are only recording guitar and vocal.

I would get atleast a 4 track cassette or Reel to Reel the two tracks like the 32 or 22 series is just to limiting. 4 track is way way more useable even if you are only recording guitar and vocal.
and you can't overdub which is very limiting.

Seriously, for your intentions, a very simple, inexpensive cassette / reel would suffice, especially if you're presumably tracking live? Also no need for a mixer or compressor. Anyway........ All of these are in Arizona (you're in AZ , right?):

Why not this to get you started:
Tascam MiniStudio (good price, boxed and possibly unused)
another:
TASCAM Porta02 MKII for sale (possibly new - lower price would be better).
or.... next step up:
TASCAM PORTASTUDIO 424 (OK price)
even higher step up:
TEAC A3340 & A3340S Open-Reel Four-Tracks
(seller probably made a mistake on model #. The first photo shows the 3440 (not 3340) - 3440 is a great machine + price is very good.
another:
teac A 3340S 4 track reel to reel recorder
another:
8_TRACK_RECORDER (nice combo, nice price - but 8 track needs mixer but the 2 track doesn't).

All of the above can also overdub (not essential if you do it solely live).

Another one:
TEAC A-6300 TAPE DECK (I don't think you can overdub with this model but it's a good one).

Check these out in person, carefully, especially head ware (on reel to reel) and try to always negotiate a lower price. Test every function including recording. Listen to abnormal noises or "complaints" from the machine. Expect minimal maintenance like belt / pinch roller replacement.

Last edited:
Back