Basement Design

cs-21-11

I am new here and amazed how great the forum is. Looking to get some help on laying out my basement. I am new to setup but have been trying to absorb as much info as I can.

Basic details are
Floor = carpet but may get upgraded soon.
Walls = 2x4 from concert block with wallpapered wood panels - should I be concerned about this as i would imagine drywall would have less reflection.
ceiling = drop tiles - 7'2" height to drop ceiling, 8'2" to sub floor above.

I am looking at setting up 2 areas in the main room which is around 22'9" L x 12'2" W.

1. Desk with pc and monitors (KRK V4 right now).
2. Second listening area with chair and floor jbl 4410 monitors.

Hopefully the image attaches which is a quick sketch of what I was originally thinking.

Place the JBL monitors on the North wall, bottom of the image. Original placement 2' from north wall and place 6' apart. Seating would be 8' or so from north wall and 6' from the monitors. From here I could move to find best placement but this is what i was thinking for a starting point. My concerns were

1. There is a 2' x 2' x 4' H half wall in the north east corner that is a surround of the water meter. Will this impact the acoustics in a negative way. I figured if I place the monitors 2' from the wall the half wall in the corner would be behind the monitors.

2. On west wall there is a door 16' down the wall.

For the desk setup, I was looking at the wall by the stairs.

Placement would be around 1' off the wall with the stairs. If I place in the center of the room in regards to width half the desk would be in the opening between the 2 rooms and half would back to the wall. Does this cause any issues. Also, the door on the west wall would be 6' 3" away.

I will also have a book shelf that I need to put into the room that is 5' L x 1'D x 5' H. I was looking at adding it midway down the east wall? Not sure if this will cause any issues or not.

The other way I thought about setting this up was to put the JBL monitors further apart and placing the desk with the krk v4 between them.

The room that connects on the other side of the stairs on the south end (top of picture) I was looking to setup my cabinet to record electric guitar in this space. I mic with a sm57 against the grill so was hoping the space would work. For acoustic I record upstairs in another room and do not do vocals or drums so that space would only be for electric.

After I get the intial layout will look into best places to put treatments for the room.

Wondering based on the info if I am on the right track or if I should be looking to arrange items differently and if I have any major issues that need addressed. Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• room4.jpg
    room4.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 82
What is that in the bottom left corner?
Yes your position would probably be largely problematic with an opening behind the left monitor. Low frequency symmetry is important.
I would rather see you face the North wall and set up for both monitoring positions. Perhaps you could set the JBLs into a position that lets you listen from far field and set the couch well behind your setup?

Alexander, thanks so much for the reply and confirming about the open space behind the one monitor. I belive I can setup both monitoring positions from the North wall as suggested.

In regards to the bottom left corner, it is kind of like a half wall built into the corner that covers the water meter. It measures 2' x 2' x 4' H. It was my other concern in the setup. Since the monitors will be setup 2' from the wall it would reside behind them so was not sure how much of an issue it would cause. I am unable to remove it.

The bookcase on the east wall I am able to potentially move. It is further down the wall but is large, 5' L x 1'D x 5' H. It sits around 11' from the North wall.

I am going to try to rearrange this weekend so I can try to get some measurements and start looking into treatments for the room. Do you have any suggestions, I was looking at bass traps for the corners but was unsure about the bottom left corner that has the half wall enclosing the water meter?

Thanks again for the help!

The bookcase shouldn't need to be moved, at least not at first unless it was causing some specific problems. Of course, bass traps for the corners would be important. Usually I recommend treating the front wall corners first.
I would treat the corner that is against the north wall when talking about the 'front corners'. For the rest of the treatment, you can use this as a guide: Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics

Thanks again for the reply. Good to know hopefully the bookcase will not cause an issue. I will most likly be giving you a call soon. I was looking at something like the studio package 1 for treatment in the room and maybe add 2 more panels to start.

Also I am hopefully getting the ceiling redone soon. Any suggestions regarding how to help cut down on fottsteps from above and cut some sound that travels up from the basement. Currently I just have a drop ceiling installed w standard 2' x 4' tiles. I had looked at potentially adding a layer of insulation between the ceiling tile and the floor above. Would this help or would I be better off looking at something else. Probably will have $1500 - $2000 for the ceiling and not sure the best way to cut down on sound.

Also I am hopefully getting the ceiling redone soon. Any suggestions regarding how to help cut down on fottsteps from above and cut some sound that travels up from the basement. Currently I just have a drop ceiling installed w standard 2' x 4' tiles. I had looked at potentially adding a layer of insulation between the ceiling tile and the floor above. Would this help or would I be better off looking at something else. Probably will have $1500 - $2000 for the ceiling and not sure the best way to cut down on sound.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner -
Yes, first thing you should do is insulate the area. Use the correct thickness of insulation to fill the space. You don't want it to be compressed at all, but you want it to fill up all of the open volume evenly.

Back