Audition 2.0 officially announced and available

Still no MIDI sequencing and now online activation.

How is it that Sonar (Cakewalk) can make $$ with no online activation and Adobe can’t? Online activation is a pain. Even more so when you get a new PC a year from now and have to reactivate the SW.

This will be the first upgrade since ‘97 that I’ll pass on.

Dave S.

Activation is quicker and easier than posting to a discussion here. So what's the problem? I really don't see it. When you install the product I think it requires about one additional mouse click. When you uninstall, you get a clear two-choice message about transferring activation. Very, very simple and very, very quick. No dongle to lose or to remember to take with your laptop. You can activate on two machines. You don't end up subsidising the warez louts.

So, precisely where does the problem lie?

As for midi - well, it's an audio editor not a midi sequencer. If you need a midi sequencer, buy one. If you need a word processing package, buy one of those. Why it has to do what it's not intended to do also escapes me.

This version is the biggest leap forward the product has ever had - but those who don't need what it offers don't need to buy it. Those who do should (IMHO) consider it very carefully.

What if I don't want my recording PC hooked up to the Internet? Then I'm on the phone (wait... wait....)

What happens when I buy a new PC? I'm on the phone again (wait... wait....)

You still haven't addressed the question. If other companies can make the business work for them without product activation, why can't Adobe?

All I'm saying about MIDI is that it's a feature I'd like to see before I invest in another upgrade.

Dave

Another step up

It looks great. I'll definitely upgrade...I'll be able to use the ASIO drivers on my sound card, and my Mackie Control will write to the software. Too cool!

For those of us who were anxious about Cool Edit Pro getting lost in Adobe, I have to say that my fears were unfounded. I have grown to love AA 1.5, and 2.0 is the next logical step, taking advantage of improved driver protocols and control surfaces.

It's ironic that, when I converted to computer recording, I had to learn how to mix with a mouse, and essentially relearn everything I knew...and now, computer recording is coming to resemble tape recording more and more.

I paid $39.00 for the full version of 1.5 on ebay.
$129.00 is a chunk of change.. The compressor is what interests me.
I can't use the compressor in 1.5.. it drives me crazy.

Has anyone used this yet?
Is it worth it?

The whole "built in mastering suite" deal...?

demensia said:
I paid $39.00 for the full version of 1.5 on ebay.
$129.00 is a chunk of change.. The compressor is what interests me.
I can't use the compressor in 1.5.. it drives me crazy.

Has anyone used this yet?
Is it worth it?

The whole "built in mastering suite" deal...?
You likely won't be able to upgrade. Most copies on Ebay are student editions/pirated copies, and upgrades aren't available.

I expect that in a few years' time most major packages will be protected with more than just a serial number. Adobe's activation technology seems to have been bought in from elsewhere - maybe they can afford it and others can't.

If the downsides of activation really outweigh the advantages of the upgrade - well, that's a personal decision I can't argue with.

I work largely with classical music so I've not got very deep into the multiband compressor. It certainly works... its interface is a bit dark for my liking, that's all. By the way - the whole interface brightness can be adjusted to suit your preference. The reviewer at http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=36828-0 clearly had his brightness way down when he took his screenshots - it's normally much brighter looking than appears there. Generally a good review - worth visiting.

OMG.. why weren't we informed about this upgrade in advance so we could start saving up the cash. heh. i'm practically jumping around like a little girl with this new upgrade. this 2.0 is gonna put audition up on the map. screw pro tools :D

We might not have been informed as such but there were dealers offering it on the net for at least the last month - then Amazon leaked it bigtime - followed by a Dutch outlet who posted the pdf flyers - possibly the most leaked release in CE/AA history!

I bought it..

I had a bit of trouble with the installation, but thats only because after I purchased the download, the serial key wasn't emailed to me.. I was trying to install 2.0 with my 1.5 serial key and it wasn't working. After an hour on the phone with adobe they gave me the 2.0 key and the installation worked.. Then I logged into my adobe account and noticed that the serial key was listed there.. Just a little hastle.

They changed everything. I was used to 1.5.. Not to say I won't get used to 2.0, but its quite a shock. The pan faders are different, the transport buttons are different.. just about everything is different.

I did like the effects rack, and the new multiband compressor (which is by ozone) are good.. I like the compressor way more than the dynamics control.

All in all it is a huge upgrade, I've yet to scratch the surface.

I did notice alot of artifacts on a very simple recording with no processing.
Could be the way I have it set up, or my machine might need a reboot, but something was certainly wrong.

Change of POETS said:
You likely won't be able to upgrade. Most copies on Ebay are student editions/pirated copies, and upgrades aren't available.

I thought upgrade's were available on most of the education versions that Adobe offers? I have a buddy who had a copy of 1.0 that upgraded just fine to 1.5 I think. And I know people that have had education versions of Sonar and upgraded with no trouble, also.

Silverwulf said:
I thought upgrade's were available on most of the education versions that Adobe offers? I have a buddy who had a copy of 1.0 that upgraded just fine to 1.5 I think. And I know people that have had education versions of Sonar and upgraded with no trouble, also.
Typically speaking, you have to be a student to obtain those. Second-hand copies of educational software is considered piracy by most software corporations. I work for one of the top 25 software companies in the world, and we will not give upgrades to people with second hand copies. I'd assume Adobe won't either.

Change of POETS said:
Typically speaking, you have to be a student to obtain those. Second-hand copies of educational software is considered piracy by most software corporations. I work for one of the top 25 software companies in the world, and we will not give upgrades to people with second hand copies. I'd assume Adobe won't either.

Yeah, educational versions imply that students buy them. We're talking about educational versions, not second hand versions of editions or pirated copies.

Back