AT2035 background noise problem..

ridexcy

Hello people,

i just started streaming games, and i just bought a AT 2035 microphone.. the problem now is it registers also all my background noises like when im hitting the keyboard buttons or when im shooting in the game everybody can hear it.. anybody has a solution how i can fix this? because im a rookie with computers.. :( every help will be appreciated

Hi,
It's not really a computer problem or something you 'fix' as such, but there are things you can do to help.
If you just think of the mic as an ear, that gets you half way there. Silly/obvious as it sounds, your ear would pick up the keyboard sounds too.

If you didn't want to hear them you might turn away, or move farther from, the keyboard.
You might get the person you want to hear to move closer to you.

Same rules apply with the microphone.

Either tilt it so the keyboard is in the mic pattern null (side on is usually safe - Not point directly at, or away, from the keyboard), move it farther from the keyboard, or move yourself closer to the mic and bring the gain down to compensate.

If you're using any processing, particularly compression, make sure it isn't exacerbating the issue.
If there are long periods without dialogue, you might want to consider a noise gate.

Unfortunately most capacitor microphones are very sensitive to airblasts when you're up close.
You might need to use a foam ball or pop filter. Some people opt for dynamic microphones because they're generally much more forgiving, that way.

thanks for the quick response! what you said really makes sense. you have any suggestions on which foam ball / popfilter i can use at my at2035? i check around and there are so many different ones

Unfortunately most capacitor microphones are very sensitive to airblasts when you're up close.
You might need to use a foam ball or pop filter. Some people opt for dynamic microphones because they're generally much more forgiving, that way.

You'd better go for a dynamic microphone ridexcy! Like Steenamaroo writes, condensor mics are very sensitive. Get yourself a Shure SM58 or something like that.
Getting a plop filter won't solve your problem here. And a gate neither. If the gate is open, it's open. And when it's open you still hear everything. Maybe an SM58 (or similar) combined with a gate will do the job best.

The mic has an 80Hz high pass filter, engaging that will help a bit, also has a 10dB pad, that will help more and then get closer to the mic, like 50mm! Yes, you will need a good pop screen.

To be honest though, for online streaming I would have suggested a headset with a noise cancelling mini boom mic.

Ooo! That's a sensitive mic at 22mV?Pa! Even with the pad engaged it is some 15dB hotter than a 57/58.

The spec makes that a very good value mic for vocals in a nice room and an easily good enough noise figure for speech and acoustic guitar, even a gut strung jobby but unless those things are on a future agenda I would chop it in for a good headset or a dynamic.

Dave.

A pop filter isn't going to help a bit with the background noise. Using the high-pass filter should help, and reducing sensitivity might, but it depends on whether you can get close enough and make your voice loud enough that the gain you have to apply doesn't simply pull in those background noises.

Most pop screens, which you should have so you can get the mic closer, are the large round screens (nylon and metal) that attach to the boom. I suppose there might be a generic foam one that you can fit, but they're usually reserved for dynamic mics.

I'd like to see how you have the mic set up. Are you using a floor mounted boom with the suspension mount/basket that came with the mic? A picture would be worth a lot of words, as they say.

Yes, a dynamic might have been a better choice, so if you're in a 45-day no questions asked return window, it's something to consider. Still, the setup will matter.

Back