Fostex DMT 8 - Hard disk noise to headphones output

Rob590

Hello everybody!

First post here, as I ran into some "problems".

I recently got Fostex DMT 8 (ver. 2, with larger capacity hard disk) to create some music in my DAWless home "studio". Why DAWless? Just because of nostalgic reasons and because I like tactile part of making music.

There is something that bothers me with the machine and I was not able to solve the problem with the help of the Google.

I am almost exclusively using my headphones during recording/mixing, as I live in an appartment building and work on my music during the evening/night. When I plug my headphones into the output jack, I get the constant high pitch noise from the spinning hard disk. It is not loud, but it is annoying. How did I determine it comes from the hard disk? Simply, when I turn on the machine, with headphones on, I can hear the hard disk acceleration as the noise frequency change, until hard disk reaches full speed.

Now, I tested this on other outputs (direct out, monitors, aux send) and this noise is present only on the headphones output. Also, it is not recorded into any of the tracks, nor anything changes if I change the signal routing.

Did anybody with DMT 8 encounter such a problem? Is there easy solution to this?

Looking forward to any feedback!

Rob

Back