anyone manage a 1 U rackmount case?

guitz

They look sexy, amongst other rack gear....squeezing just the right mobo that fits the backplane openings is but 1 challenge....Just having a single PCI slot is not an issue...that'd be for my Layla 3 g card (with the supplied riser card)....video would have to be on-board, and I've seen low cost ATX or micro ATX that'd fit the bill....every case I've looked at, has vertical on-board audio connectors, which I'm told, will not fit a 1 U case...solution, de-solder!...questions would be how quiet are the packaged power supplies? Does standard sized memory chips fit? Do mobos these days come with the backplane bracket? Would a standard CPU fan be too tall? I'd like to have a setup dedicated for nothing but audio/recording, and a 1 U rackmount case would bring maximum happiness and joy :D

1U PC Case pros:
Saves room

Cons:

Heat issues

must conform to onboard video and only use 1 pci slot via a riser card

power supplies are tricky to find, and when you do, they typically cost a stupid price.

Sure only 1 rack space would be sweet, but I'm going with a 3U case at least, space in the rack isn't an issue for me, plus I game on my recording box sometimes to so I need the AGP slot. Plus 2 soundcard, wireless nic, etc. 1U just won't cut it.

As for this

"every case I've looked at, has vertical on-board audio connectors, which I'm told, will not fit a 1 U case"

I can't tell by looking at pictures of the 1U cases but I know for fact that the majority of 2U + cases have removeable I/O plates, allowing you to use the one that comes with your mobo.

Creamyapples1 said:
1U PC Case pros:
Saves room

Cons:

Heat issues

must conform to onboard video and only use 1 pci slot via a riser card

power supplies are tricky to find, and when you do, they typically cost a stupid price.

Sure only 1 rack space would be sweet, but I'm going with a 3U case at least, space in the rack isn't an issue for me, plus I game on my recording box sometimes to so I need the AGP slot. Plus 2 soundcard, wireless nic, etc. 1U just won't cut it.

As for this

"every case I've looked at, has vertical on-board audio connectors, which I'm told, will not fit a 1 U case"

I can't tell by looking at pictures of the 1U cases but I know for fact that the majority of 2U + cases have removeable I/O plates, allowing you to use the one that comes with your mobo.

I've got a 4 space rackmount job now...nice...but hugely heavy and a drag to take out to work on....the 1U's I've been looking at, have the power supply already with them....I just wonder how quiet they'd be...not very I'm guessing...wasn't there a company that specialized in audio pcs using 1 or 2 U rackmount cases ?

Back