analog studio photos

Whitefly,
Come on man. Don't you know that digital is where it's at? Just pack all that stuff up and send it to me, I don't want you to be burdoned with such an antiquated set up. Seriously. Put it all on pallets, send it to me, and focus on digital. :D

Great set up man, I'm way jealous!

you bring up a good point. i've heard about this device called "iphone" where you can basically do everything we do here but on this little thing you can fit in your pocket! do you think i could afford one if i sell all of my stuff?

yessir thats the one, the live organ as well ... i've been using the YC-20 instead lately though and i find the sound to be more suitable. probably gonna be putting the farfisa up for sale soon ... i have some emotional attachment to it (including playing it live w/ sky saxon) but i think its time to turn it over to the next.

Do you have an example track using the YC20? I must admit I liked the farfisa sound.

Great setup! It looks really comfortable... it's got a good vibe.

Here is "Studio Apartment Studio" :)

[edited out repeat of the image]

That device under the desk is a test oscillator, right? Does it still produce a stable reference? How long does it take to warm up?

Last edited:
Do you have an example track using the YC20? I must admit I liked the farfisa sound.

i like the farfisa sound too ! ... but it is much hard to control in a live situation, it has a lot more bass and a more abrasive sound to the mids & highs, so getting it to cut through without becoming ear piercing is sometimes a challenge. the yc-20 kind of just blends in and has a warmer tone to it.

i did record our halloween party show at the house on sat night. there are all kinds of issues w/ the recording (clipping, preamps cutting in & out etc!) as i kind of just set up mics and pressed record ... but i may just post a rough mix for all to hear!

lo.fi...that looks great. It looks bright and cozy. ;)

You still having trouble with RFI/EMI in the signal path?

That device under the desk is a test oscillator, right? Does it still produce a stable reference? How long does it take to warm up?

Yeah, it's a 1960s-vintage HP tube oscillator. It takes about 15 seconds to warm up. It doesn't really produce a stable reference, rather I use it as an instrument. Sometimes what I'll do is insert my guitar tuner between it and my preamp so I can tune it to a particular note. The tone tends to wobble a little bit, though, which I'm sure could be rectified by replacing the electrolytic capacitors, but it's not a priority for me.

For actual testing, though, I borrow a friend's solid state function generator.

lo.fi...that looks great. It looks bright and cozy. ;)

You still having trouble with RFI/EMI in the signal path?

Thanks! I've had almost no issue with hum, as all the outlets in my apartment are properly grounded. My unit (and building) has a pretty sturdy electrical system, which is great considering the building was built in 1928 I believe. It's a "nice" apartment by San Francisco standards, and it's been renovated a couple of times as far as I can tell.

Also what's nice is that it's carpeted. I hate carpeting, typically, because it's difficult to clean, and I love how hardwood flooring looks, but the carpeting helps with acoustics.

Great setup!
my_studio.jpg

That's awesome.
I'd love a Tascam 48 and an Otari MX-5050

For sure some interesting amps and vintage stuff. What's that "Flip Top" sound like?

The crazy thing is that it's only part of it. There's a whole back room of randomness as well. The Flip Top is a Toby brand amp. It's interesting to say the least, I can't find any mentions of it on the internet. It's an early early solid state amp where the transistors go in sockets like tubes and it has that awesome VU meter that moves when you play notes. It's an okay bass amp, neat if you're looking for a more trebly bass sound (sounds like an oxymoron, but think punk bass) not a ton of low end even with the closed cab 15 (with a Sica EVM clone in it), I actually use the cab more than the amp. My weakness for it is its looks. I mean, mrrrrrrow.

....Don't button the bottom button on your jacket - ....;)
huh huh :D
I am no fashion expert, but I know that in "analog recording studio" it's only a matter of time before all the take-up reels end up on the left tables, on the decks that are actually being used, of course... ;)

Back