Ampex MM-1000 Story...

Well I think it time to release the notion that the silicone fluid is just saturated in the flywheel housing...I believe it is indeed seeping through the pores of the aluminum casting. BUT...Jay McKnight responded to a follow up post I placed on the Ampex List and ALSO went to the trouble of contacting Larry Miller of Ampex fame (IIRC and my sincere apologies if this is incorrect) who was (among other things) the project manager for the AG-440 series...a tremendous resource of a guy, and he said:

"The casing is made of an aluminum casting, is it not? If so, it is subject to porosity, which silicone fluid is notoriously famous for leaking through. The solution is vacuum impregnation with a plastic compound. There are many shops that can do this.

http://www.saranindustries.com/impregnation.html"

Needless to say I already have an inquiry out to Saran Industries.

I'll keep you posted.

So the assumption is that if they were to return a finished part to you it may be wrapped in Saran wrap?????

Ive been following your thread, fun to watch. I am a little suprised about the shimming required for the pinch roller? That setup IIRC is an artefac of the quad video machines. Is it possible that the sheet metal "U" that holds the pinh roller is tweaked? I have.t been around one of the video machines in decades, so I dont remember, but if the screw pattern where the roller bracket mounts to the arm is symetrical, by flipping it you could determine where the problem is? Anyway, keep up the good work.

Mdainsd, thanks for the comments!

Yes, I'm pretty sure the U-shaped yoke for the pinch roller is tweaked. Its a formed steel part and it looks like it's had some tough days. I'd prefer a machined piece in there and someday I may have one made up, but for the time being what's there still seems very stout.

The mounting hole pattern is indeed symmetrical, but either way the axes of the pinch roller and capstan shaft were not parallel and it was easier to place the shim from the top so there ya go.

What video machines did you work around??

I want to say VR-2000, although the defining moment of my youth was a trip to a local TV station when I was 8 or 9 and first got up close and personal with a Vr1000. I may have to hunt one of those down, one of these days, LOL

Total...freaking...crossroad...

I've hesitated to post about this as it may be frustrating to those that have been waiting for this marathon to wrap up.

I did a service call on an MM-1000 at a local studio. I've been dialoging with the owner of the machine for awhile and we were finally able to get our schedules to line up. He purchased the machine about 10 years ago with the goal of getting up to snuff and using it, but as things often go he hasn't gotten to it. I spent an hour or so on the machine and generated a typed two-page assessment on the machine's current state and what is needed to get it back to spec, some of which is a total mystery because at this time none of the electronics modules power up.

5018570449_0c4463e423_b.jpg

5018570545_4850794b9a_b.jpg

5019177530_12275a14ba_b.jpg

Its just like mine; an early production non-auto-input switching model. It needs some work. The upside is that it is pretty well complete and proper...a true early production 2" 16-track MM-1000...straight-ahead. And it is in relatively good shape too aside from going through and figuring out why all the stuff doesn't work that doesn't work. By "relatively good shape" keep in mind that I've gotten into some disasters so this seems pretty good. Cosmetically its got good potential though there has been some damage to the 24V supply and control relay box chassis. But it started life as a 2" 16-track and that's all its been...no whackiness.

So, yeah, the guy is feeling like he wants to be done with it. He can't afford the cost to have it fixed up and he is offering to negotiate a very fair price with me.

So I am interested in some feedback from you all.

Why I'm even thinking about this is that at the price I think we could come to terms I would be able to part out some stuff I had for the 16-track conversion on my current machine and be ahead financially...that's the least of the reasons but a real one. My other reasons have to do with the funkiness of my machine and a couple important issues with mine that are not present on the available machine.

My machine is funky. Its a "frankenpex". I think it started life as an 8-track, and then at some point was a 16-track, and then back to 8-track, OR its had parts transplanted from different machines...I'm pretty well convinced it is a very early model, maybe even somewhat prototypical, so there is wierdness there. I can deal with that but with the availablity of a straight-forward production model 16-track, well that wipes away a huge task list of to-do's to convert mine to 16-track...way easier to go from 16 to 8 than from 8 to 16. And you've all read (probably many times) my concerns about the noise level of my machine and the main issue is the capstan motor and shaft. Though mine sounds cool, after listening to this other machine I suspect something is wrong with my capstan motor or shaft. The machine I looked at is WAYYYY quieter than mine...it just feels more solid and it is totally reasonable that I could record even medium volume sources right in the studio with the machine without much conern for bleed...same capstan motor type, but it is just much quieter. And there has been quite the dialog going on over on the Ampex List about my viscous-damped reel idler flywheel; trying to figure out the leakage, etc. Bottom line is that it looks like the the whole vacuum impregnation thing is going to be the proper course and its not cheap.

The other machine's transport is fully functional...some components need attention...its not at all perfect, but it has great potential and considering my experience around the MM-1000 there are few mysteries. I pretty much know where to look to resolve a given problem.

I'll stop there for now.

Last edited:
Parts?! Now's your chance to do 16-16 bouncing!

At any rate, what does the idler flywheel look like? Leaking? If not, I'd say you have your answer.

To me (and my unique way of justifacation of aquisitions, like oversized audio equipment), I think it is a no-brainer. As I first read your report it struck me as a bit of a conflict of interest (dont take that wrong). But thinking about it some more, meh. If he was all that gung-ho to get it up and making revenue, it would have been done by now, right? So what better place for it to end up than with somebody who is going to put it or its parts to good use? I say get it! Maybe its the one you finally decide to use and your original becomes a donor...

Its a fun quirky hobby we find ourselfes in, part of that being you just never know whats going to fall out of the sky!

Im doing something similar myself over the long weekend. I have a bueatiful Tascam Atr-80-24. Ive got it all hooked up and been really enjoying learning how to put it through its paces. So 24 tracks of analog goodness should be more than enough for the modest home studio, one would think. That was mybthoughts, till out of the blue a PAIR of Sony APR-24s fell into my lap, so there goes the weekend. So now mixdown of 72 tracks (well i guess technically 69, as I hace to "sacrifice" 3 channels for t/c). Will I ever do it? Most likely not, but could I do it? You bet!

Go get that badboy and report back!

He can't afford the cost to have it fixed up and he is offering to negotiate a very fair price with me.

So I am interested in some feedback from you all.

I think that it comes down to dollars and sense.

The price of the the plastic vacuum impregnation on Matilda's flywheel (oh that sounded odd) is not the only cost you should think about for keeping Matilda around. She, (and all tape machines) is going to require major spare parts throughout her life to keep her going, and she will probably be unpredictable.

You clearly have a deeply vested interest in this model of machine, too deep to cut and run now. I think that if the price is anywhere as "reasonable" as you claim, you should go for it, to have a nearly limitless spare part machine. (Or, make this your primary, and use Matilda for spares, whichever makes more sense.)

The mechanical quietness of this 16 track raises a concern for me.

The picture shows this machine in the middle of an open room and the sides are removed from this deck. So, the noise levels may be misleading unless you have the machine closed up and in the same smaller environment, up against a wall, where Matilda resides.

Cheers! :)

You clearly have a deeply vested interest in this model of machine, too deep to cut and run now. I think that if the price is anywhere as "reasonable" as you claim, you should go for it, to have a nearly limitless spare part machine. (Or, make this your primary, and use Matilda for spares, whichever makes more sense.)

Muck makes a good point to get the other machine. Cory, I would be otherwise worried, for a gillion reasons like if you were talking a different machine altogether, back to square one sort of deal but ... but ... I think at this point, you're aware of all of this (plus much more) so anything reasonable to get the MM-1000 up and ready IS a good and reasonable idea. Nothing wrong with having 2 same machines of this vintage, for spares etc... or just to put one together etc... I honestly was a bit nervous with the impregnation solution.. Not that I know something you don't but I speculated the cost would be huge and who knows what other gremlins may creep up. Also, if you get that second machine, I just ask that you be careful not to put unnecessary servicing into it. I always thought when a certain machine was built, those 40 years ago, that everything there, all components work as a unit and to upgrade/update, change this or that, may cause an unwanted domino effect. If something works well, whatever component, I'd just leave it alone and maybe do simple routine maintenance, no matter how hard would be to do otherwise. If it's "cheap", like if he's practically giving it away, and you know you at least have good parts in there, then go for it. Cory, are you planning to replace what's needed on your current "restoration in progress" machine with the second machine's parts or do you plan to start from scratch on this "new" machine? It's just that you put so much time into the current one and starting from scratch, a new restoration, would worry me a bit .... but, to just replace faulty parts, sure, I see that easily...

Let me see if I can bring some clarity to this latest wrinkle.

First off, some responses:

As I first read your report it struck me as a bit of a conflict of interest (dont take that wrong).

No not at all. I totally get what you are stating there...and just know that the owner and I have been dialoging for over a year, and after a long silence he let me know that he had put it up for sale and that he had a bite and the potential buyer was coming to look at it. I knee-jerked and said essentially "oh man I wish you would have talked to me first", so he's known there is some interest there, but the potential buyer backed out after looking at it and the owner contacted me and asked for my help in determining its worth/what it needs, etc. I have to operate with high degree of integrity and ethical prowess in my line of work so I'm used to being able manage conflicting situations. I offered to help him and both of us knew that there was potential income in it for me in providing service and I think both of us also knew that if he decided to ditch the machine I'd be close by figuratively speaking to consider it. No hiding, no mysteries...he's been great to work with and I was very clear with him that when I made the service call my goal was to help him get a grip on what it needs; ultimately to help him be able to plan for how to get it running and into use. I think my report was well balanced...clearly stated the positives of the machine along with bare minimums to get it going and also what would be needed to get it to spec. The thing for him is that it has NEVER worked since he bought it, and he doesn't have the time, money or patience to get it going and he'd rather be relieved of the burden, have some money (maybe to help get his Scully 280 1" 8-track going) and be able to move on knowing its gone to a good home. He's ready to tear it down and part it on eBay if I don't want it and I say that just to clarify where he is at emotionally-speaking in terms of committment to the machine.

The price of the the plastic vacuum impregnation on Matilda's flywheel (oh that sounded odd) is not the only cost you should think about for keeping Matilda around. She, (and all tape machines) is going to require major spare parts throughout her life to keep her going, and she will probably be unpredictable.

Oh yes, absolutely, though I have every reason to believe that once you get the bugs worked out of an MM-1000 it runs and runs and runs...George Schowerer and Skip Juried ran that AG-1000 at Mirasound night and day for three years without a hitch. But, yes, there are upkeep costs but I have every spare part imaginable here...literally...for the MM-1000. The vacuum sealing will likely cost me about $70.

You are absolutely right...It wouldn't even be on the table for me if it wasn't an MM-1000. Part of why I like 'em so much is because they are so familiar...I mean, being able to step up to an MM-1000 that is alien to me and afer an hour have enough objective info to fill two pages and have made some repairs in the process...being able to hook test leads up to stuff without needing schematics...that has a lot of value to me. To be honest, chances are if I got this one it would be primary. I'll explain more below. Price? Dunno yet, but I think I may have spent more on 16-track harnessing and accessories earlier this year for Matilda than I would pay for the 16-track...

The mechanical quietness of this 16 track raises a concern for me.

The picture shows this machine in the middle of an open room and the sides are removed from this deck. So, the noise levels may be misleading unless you have the machine closed up and in the same smaller environment, up against a wall, where Matilda resides.

Yeah, good points, Ghost, but I know these machines very well if I may be that bold. It wasn't a "hm...that seems like maybe its a little quieter..." it was a clear "WTH?! Why isn't MINE like that??" The room that the 16-track in is a good sized room but the ceiling is pretty low with deep exposed ceiling beams...its actually a pretty dead room, and keep in mind that the front of mine is open, and I often have it running with the side panels off. The 16-track sounded like a totally different machine. Not bad, just quieter in a sewing machine kind of way. I really do think my MM-1000 is pre-production. My capstan shaft is always on when the machine is on. I know of two machines other than mine now where the capstan shuts off when tape is unloaded and the wiring to accomplish this is clearly factory. I bet my capstan assembly has spent a lot of time idling. It was used for video sweetening at Universal Studios...likely spent days and days and days powered up just idling in between working. I am, without a doubt, convinced it is quieter. MUCH quieter.

Cory, I would be otherwise worried, for a gillion reasons like if you were talking a different machine altogether, back to square one sort of deal but ... but ... I think at this point, you're aware of all of this (plus much more) so anything reasonable to get the MM-1000 up and ready IS a good and reasonable idea.

Yeah...there'd be stuff I'd want to transplant, but I feel like my work on Matilda has been of great value for the education, and so many of the transport bits are easy to swap, the same-same components that have had the bearings refreshed and stuff...the electronics, once I get them their juice, are ready to go. It would take 10 minutes to swap the control relay box and 24V power supplies to have those refreshed assemblies on board. That control relay box is essential to trouble-free operation. There is still lots I want to do to Matilda and its all pretty much centered around 16-track conversion...I know me on this point...I won't rest until it is done, and it seems like a real blessing to have a chance to get a machine that needs a good dusting/wipe-down, some component swapping and some troubleshooting but then play-time. It would take weeks...MONTHS off of the Matilda docket...

Nothing wrong with having 2 same machines of this vintage, for spares etc...

Ultimately I'd want it down to one machine with a smart store of spares. Ideally one machine would be able to be built up as a good 8-track and sold as a running machine.

I honestly was a bit nervous with the impregnation solution.. Not that I know something you don't but I speculated the cost would be huge and who knows what other gremlins may creep up.

You should read some of the dialog about this over on the Ampex List. The collective knowledge and experience of so many of those folks is just really...something. One of the members has experience doing this sort of procedure specific to Dow Corning fluid issues so I'm not the least bit worried.

I'm pretty sure that the flywheel in the 16-track is low on fluid too. In fact, after getting some very useful/helpful info from Jay McKnight on the subject I am convinced that most of the viscous damped flywheels out there are low. This is based on the behavior of the assembly stated by others. What has been assumed as the normal characteristics of the assembly I believe to actually be signs of low fluid level.

if you get that second machine, I just ask that you be careful not to put unnecessary servicing into it. I always thought when a certain machine was built, those 40 years ago, that everything there, all components work as a unit and to upgrade/update, change this or that, may cause an unwanted domino effect. If something works well, whatever component, I'd just leave it alone and maybe do simple routine maintenance, no matter how hard would be to do otherwise.

Yeah, I hear you. A significant part of my maturation during these "Ampex years" is that I have become better at listening to others that are in the know when they say "don't mess with that." And I've become much more discerning about what is okay to leave alone. Turns out (surpise-surprise) that on a 40+ year old heavy production machine there is often much that needs attention, but that is one reason I like the 16-track...it is straight, Daniel. Now, Matilda has cleaned up nice, but as a supposed pre-production machine that has been converted and reconverted and seen a lot of use, there is funkiness. A significant amount of time has gone to tracing down problems that are related to non-production wiring and such...having a machine that hasn't been touched and messed with is so much easier you know?

If it's "cheap", like if he's practically giving it away, and you know you at least have good parts in there, then go for it. Cory, are you planning to replace what's needed on your current "restoration in progress" machine with the second machine's parts or do you plan to start from scratch on this "new" machine? It's just that you put so much time into the current one and starting from scratch, a new restoration, would worry me a bit .... but, to just replace faulty parts, sure, I see that easily...

Truly hard for me to say yet. I'm pretty sure I could sell the electronics modules I kept from the parted 440-8 which I intended for channels 9~16 and have my purchase money back. There are a number of things I could clean out...and then swap in the stuff I've rebuilt into the 16-track without too much trouble...I really am pretty quick getting stuff in and out of an MM-1000 by this point. Lots to ponder still, but it is worth pondering. The decision will be based on whether or not I can realistically be ahead in time and money. I need more of both at the moment.

Sounds like a good, well thought out plan Cory. :)

... oh and I wouldn't mind a first crack at the 8 track Matilda, if that would still be on the radar at that time. ;)

So buy it already!!!

You have spent a week screwing around trying to get everyone to "convince" you its ok.

The only reasons NOT to are either 1) money or 2) space.

You have already justified the money part, and I see at least some interest in Matilda going outhte door intact, so that addresses the space part of it.

Go get it!!

Back