AKG D5 won't pickup on my computer

MintyFresh

I have an AKG D5, I've plugged my XLR cable to a 6.5mm adapter, to a 3.5mm adapter and plugged it straight into my computer. But my computer isn't receiving my voice through my mic? Is that because I'm missing something? It's dynamic so it shouldn't need external power.

It just won't pick up when I speak into it; nothing comes out. It's a balanced XLR microphone if that helps.

I think you need a pre-amp (or some setting in the computer to apply pre-amp gain to the signal, if there's enough going through the converter to not be just very noisy). What are you hoping to do with your mic? You'd get much better results with a USB audio interface (or a USB mic might be good enough, depending on what you're trying to achieve).

First thing is to check to see if the input is actually active - can you connect a line/headphone level device like an iPod or even your phone to the same computer socket and record audio from that. It will either not work from this source either, or it will record fine. If it records very loud with distortion, then this would show the gain is cranked up high enough for your mic. If the mic doesn't work, then you might just have a wrongly wired cable and adaptor that could be shorting out the mic. Surprising easy to do as the usual ¼" to 3.5mm adaptor is designed for headphones, in stereo. It's not unknown for some of these to have reversed left and right, which would short out the input and result in no audio. If the iPod or phone is also silent, then you may simply have not set the audio connection settings on your computer to the right input. Easy to do, and on my computer, I often find a programme changes the default to a different input.

Use it for all in general use, nothing in specific; I just need it working with my computer. It's not my computer that's faulty because I use the same port for other microphones ( not as good ones, dodgy headphone microphones )

I feel as if pre-amp is required - Blue Microphones Icicle USB Interface does this look competent?

Use it for all in general use, nothing in specific; I just need it working with my computer.

I feel as if pre-amp is required - Blue Microphones Icicle USB Interface does this look competent?

General use is too vague. Are you recording music? Podcasting? Skype? The quality required for different uses is vastly different and therefore the equipment you'll need might vary.

---------- Update ----------

Also, before you buy something, try out rob's suggestions above to try and diagnose where the issue is.

I'll be using the microphone predominantly to record vocals, for a vocal cover youtube channel that I'll be making dedicated to rock/metal vocals.

But if you can swing it, Steinberg UR22, Focusrite 2i4, highly recommended around here. There's also a pretty good spectrum of decent interfaces in the $99 camp.

And point-of-reference: don't ask the same question in multiple places on these forums. I answered the one in the Newbies section, this really has nothing to do with Recording Techniques.

Last edited:
If another mic functions in the socket, the your problem is the cables and adapters. Or of course the mic could be duff. Do you have another mic with xlr socket to confirm if it's the mic or cable?

Back