AKG c418???

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
I'm not sure about the exact model # but they are shipping(2) packaged with the D-112(?) at a good price for a limited time. It's a small, clip on condenser for toms... Are they good? I've seen 'em on the net for $150 a piece... I have a chance to snag a couple really cheap... either I am getting a good deal or I am getting hosed...
Anyone know which???

I have some of these mics for recording toms. The thing I hate most about them is that they are at a fixed distance from the drum head, not much flexibility in the positioning to them. I am still trying get the sound that I am looking for from them, and most important, if your mic-amp does not have a built in pad, I would not get these mics.

Maybe we could get Ed to explain how important it is to have the flexibility in mic positioning.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 10-14-1999).]

Some microphones have switches where you can reduce the decible input, or "pad" the input. Well the c418 does not, so you need a mic preamp that has a button to do the reduction. Simply reducing your gain is not always the solution for a good sound.

Back