Cheap alternatives to Cloudlifters, and other in-line preamps

rob aylestone

I ordered some very cheap Chinese inline preamps - one was average, but the other equally as good as the FET FP1 that I use here with an SM7B

I dreamed up a way to compare them - not particulary accurate or complicated, but sort of real world testing.

Record normally. Normalise to full scale, then in the gaps you can see how far down the noise is. Now clearly the noise is a combination of hiss, room noise, like fans, and even breathing - but the electronics noise rapidly overtakes the ambient 'silence. Swapping one pre-amp for another, and removing it totally produces pretty well what we expect, when we have to turn the gain up - extra noise. Oddly, I discovered that the camera preamp I use is pretty good with the preamp in circuit, but not good when the level lowers, and bringing it back up in the DAW is not good. The noise floor shoots up. The Zoom H6 I also use, manages gain much better and removing the preamp on that gives a very small difference in noise when normalized - where as the camera audio when boosted in the DAW is much worse. I also tried it on tones too - 1K, then a gap, then 1K produced other interesting 'artefacts'.

In the video I edited out the start and end of each tone burst - I had to. I recorded the first version usuing the camera and the waveform was a real mess - as the tone started, it overshot, then settled and when it cut, it did the same - every abrupt start and stop produced these peaks which I had to edit out to be able to normalise. I blamed the camera - thining it had some kind of limiter, but discovered the zoom did exactly the same thing. I tracked it down to the active loudspeakers - recording the speakers on the vido editor, there was no overshoot? I have never seen this before - but clearly this must happen when they are playing music. These are not 'quality' speakers, just active PA speakers that sound quite nice, but the onboard amplifier must be badly designed or even faulty? I don't know.

Once I edited out the nasty start/stops, all was fine.

So - not that scientific really, but it showed that one preamp was actually lower gain, but noisy, and that one Chinese pre-amp was as good as the FP1 that I normally use. The video is best listened to on headphones. Interestingly, I cut out the FP1 noise and butted it up to the Chinese noise and they were indistinguishable = for £12 plus shipping and the VAT.

Attachments

• tubular-overshoot normalised 0-1.jpg
    tubular-overshoot normalised 0-1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 2
20 quid....$25 US.....not bad.
It can get to be splitting hairs on some of the noise specs....

I did the Cathedral Pipes DURNHAM....$50 new, today and USA built and uses Neutrik plugs, nice paint job....
I sold the Cloudlifter but it was fine too. Abit pricey but like Radial stuff you know youre getting something really well built.

Little booster just left on the SM7b all the time, much cheaper than an ISA One!

So I am curious as to what to expect in benefit using this as opposed to just going direct into my little Behringer mixer with "midas" preamps?
Is it strictly for studio recording or is it something I would use live too?

These both look similar to the one you show in the video..You didn't mention the brand name in the text

1697739438335.png

These gadgets typically apply 25dB gain and just get the mic output to the sort of level that means the channel gain sits at the sort of area where the noise is minimal.

I have Midas M32 and compared to the virtually similar X32, the mic preamps have a tiny bit more useful range. I've been experimenting today with the Tascam interface and it has a weirdness - if you plug a mic in, the gain gradually increases, but at about 85% gain, it suddenly ramps up. In this range, the noise seems to increase more than the gain does?

The one I liked is identical to that MX2 above - same product, many brands. The tubular one performed poorly in my tests on the camera AND the Zoom H6. Today, plugged into the Tascam interface, it did a pretty good job and had less noise. I'm wondering if the camera and Zoom cannot supply enough current? Perhaps dropping the 48V down to something that impacted the noise performance.

The trouble for me, is that my normal mic, the SM7B, is known for low output, but I also use it at a distance. The pre-amp is pretty vital. Before I had it and had to run higher channel gain, it sounded less good by quite a way. The preamp convinced me the mic was OK. The other bonus with the tubular one is that it fits in a normal panel XLR socket. You have to be careful not to yank on the cable - but it fits!

These inline devices can still help decent preamps - they just enable them to work more efficiently - so an 85% gain setting (which will be more noisy) might be able to work at around 60% on the knob. It's like gain staging in a mixer with all the input gains, channel gains, group gains and the output level all working with, or against each other.

re watching I think I get it..... basically the preamp provides a stronger signal to the mixer meaning we don't have to turn the volume up as high on the mixer giving us more headroom. Mic is louder with less noise. Am I on the right track?

for me my interface preamps are pretty noisy when it gets turned up near max, like on a soft source into a dynamic mic....
so the booster adds 25 db and then the Interface preamp can sit around 50% to 60% where its quieter...

I even read in some preamp designs keeping amp stages around 25db, with multi stages keeps noise down or something, maybe it was JoeMeek or some article.

Reactions: TAE
re watching I think I get it..... basically the preamp provides a stronger signal to the mixer meaning we don't have to turn the volume up as high on the mixer giving us more headroom. Mic is louder with less noise. Am I on the right track?
Yep, that’s a good way to think of it. I was a little hard on the really cheap one, as it didn’t occur to me that it was a power issue. annoyingly, I also discovered my Tascam interface is even more faulty than I thought. Generating a clean tone reveals some really horrible mangling of the signal. I’ll try to find out today if it’s a record problem too, or just playback where it misbehaves.

Reactions: TAE
I notice Sound on Sound this month have looked at the SM7B with the built in preamp, and theres really interesting history on the mic's low output. It also mentions the fact people buy an SM7B and a cloudlifter most times, so the preamp inside is designed by Cloud!

seems to me the SM7b took off in HR due to its pattern and famous people records and "works in a bad room" .....all green checks for HR.
but the ISA One was like a standard response for SM7b posts...and ISA ONE was the pre-recorded auto response for a preamp match.

then the Boosters took over, Cloud seemed to be the replacement and much cheaper than the ISA One.....and of course "cheaper" than the Cloud appeals to many HR budgets.

thats my view of the SM7. I was reading about mics and SherlyCrow and Willie Nelsons studio Los Lonely Boys using it....and it was $250!! then....but the gain on it was so low I thought it was broken....so reading, I was turned onto the ISA One!! that used to be $180 used...etc....

Cloud had a cool product, Cloudlifter good color, nice reputable company etc... and in comparison to the ISA One cost, a helluva a deal.

the old ART Tube MP worked very well for what it was...
can't drive em too hard..
unless you want the distortion for 'color',
which some used to great effect, myself included.
when I went into preamp rabbit obsession hole...to see if my ears blahblah....anyway, the ART TPSII was cheap, fun, and had clean to nirvanadistortionIamtheWalrus settings..almost a guitar fuzz box! and was like $89 used....and for my vote compared to a MikeE Emperical Labs is still a great product...though the knobs on the TPSII are small...but so is the price!

Back