AHEAD sticks

triple-zero

does anyone else use them? I bought a pair of ahead 7As 2 months ago and they are still in good shape (i would have gone through 5 pairs of wooden in that time). I love them cause they are light, very shock proof - my perfect stick. I was worried about them messing up my cymbals but so far nothing bad has happened...... The only down side is the shit rimshot they give....

I used to use them. I love the feel and response of them but I play rimshots all the time. I broke my last 5B pair after only playing them for two hours...so at that rate and cost for the Aheads, I went back to traditional wood which seems to last longer with my rimshots.

A lot of people seem to like to use these Ahead sticks, but I don't see what's so great about them. If you break sticks a hell of a lot, and think Ahead sticks are the solution, there a problems. I know many hard hitting drummers that use wood sticks, and don't seem to break any of them. I myself have broken two sticks out of the 5 years I've been playing set. I'd say stick to wood.

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!!

cymbals = metal
AHEADS = metal

metal on metal is not a good combo. when you use wood sticks the wood is softer than the cymbals so it's the sticks that break and not the cymbals. why risk the damage to your cymbals and heads?

AHEAD

I bought a pair of AHEAD LARS SIGNATURE STICKS on 12/27/03. I love them. i wouldnt trade them for anything in the world. i dont do rimshots very much so i have no problems with them. the sleeves are pretty cheap ($3) so i have no prob payin' that when my sleeves break. i got a talent show on march 19 and im going to buy a pair of new sleeves and use them for the show. Plus they are easy 2 replace.

the using Aheads isn't like putting metal on metal, they have a thick nylon sleeve that slip over the taper of the stick.. that nylon cover is actually softer than most wooden sticks.

fritzmusic- if you're breaking Ahead 5b's in 2 hours, it isn't the sticks... you need to work on your form and mechanics.

i used a pair for about a year, but i felt i was sacrificing sound quality for durability. i reckon then just dont have the same sound as wooden sticks, but they do last much longer.

i also had problems with the stick resonating in my hand much more than a wooden pair...and they were very slippy. they may be great for some people, i just dont agree with them.

Fall From Grace:
"fritzmusic- if you're breaking Ahead 5b's in 2 hours, it isn't the sticks... you need to work on your form and mechanics."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah whatever. I'm too busy playing live shows and sitting in on sessions to change my entire playing style for a stupid metal alloy drumstick. I think I'll just go on playing hard rimshots using my improper "form and mechanics" with longer-lasting wood sticks. Thanks for the tip anyway....

re. Ahead sticks
If you like them and they suit your way of playing, great. I tried them once and didn't like them at all, but then I play a very different style of music than most of you. I'm switching between soft grace notes to rimshots to cross-stick to back of the stick to a hard heavy strike,etc., sometimes within one or two measures depending on the music.
I think the Ahead sticks are best suited for heavy hitters in a metal or punk band. Your sticks are the extension of your hands and they have to be a comfortable match for you in the way they feel and play.
I've tried a number of the different type of sticks that have come out including the new carbon sticks and they just didn't feel right to me.
Different strokes..... I guess. (no pun intended ;))
I didn't really like the new Zildjian sticks with the rubber "shock absorber" core either. They feel very strange when you reverse them and they do break easily at the back.

I went through three pair of the 5A before they stopped honoring their warranty. That was back when I was punk rockin'. But I never got the same feel or sound that I got from a wood pair, so I've never gone back. If you like them, good for you. You shoudn't give a shit what anybody else here thinks.

I broke mine in 3 months. That was 3 years ago. I never spent the money on them again.

I do not have proper technique, I play way too hard. I'm not going to spend $30 on sticks. I'd rather spend $100 on wood.

I like wood.

Fritz, I wanted to apologize man. I didn't want to come across like a know-it-all. I'm really sorry. I know how busy you must be touring and doing studio sessions, it was cool that you could even find a second and post a reply for the benefit of a mere enthusiast such as myself. Thank you so much...many blessings to you sir...

the nylon tips kept exploding on my pair. than if you brake a tip or it flys off and you hit a tom you get an instant hole in your head. take off your nylon tips and put thread lock on the threads and put them back togther.

Back