Adele

Personally I think he has gone from a great rock star to an embarrassing nagging grandmother.
LOL Elton was and is a bad ass...but yeah he definitely has the nagging grandmother thing going on these days... I was lucky enough to see him live 3 times in the 70's...holy shit that boy could rock. fricking lightning bolts shooting out of his fingers as he whacked those keys....and he could sing like a frickin bird.

I have never claimed to be a singer of any kind

I have never claimed to be a singer of any kind or ever released any recordings.
You asked " Am I the only one who thinks that Adele cannot sing?" It's pretty clear by her success that the commercial music listening public thinks well of her singing abilities......Are you the only one that's thinks she can not sing?...surely not, but I'd venture a bet that in a survey of 1000 people forced to listen to her sing "Hello" and then asked that question it'd be less than 1% that would agree with you ( maybe 10 out of 1000) She's not only a great vocalist but a very talented lyricist and song writer....

You asked " Am I the only one who thinks that Adele cannot sing?" It's pretty clear by her success that the commercial music listening public thinks well of her singing abilities......Are you the only one that's thinks she can not sing?...surely not, but I'd venture a bet that in a survey of 1000 people forced to listen to her sing "Hello" and then asked that question it'd be less than 1% that would agree with you ( maybe 10 out of 1000) She's not only a great vocalist but a very talented lyricist and song writer....

The public buy and have always purchased records for many reasons 'other' than whether someone can sing. In fact going back to some artists over the years, that is possibly the last box ticked.

Manufactured boy and girl bands from the 70's to now werent picked by the record companies and management because they weighed 18 stone, had rotten teeth and leprosy. There may have been a reason for that TAE.

I don't think she is anywhere near as good as the hype. But that's not unusual in the entertainment industry or celebrity circus.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAE
The public buy and have always purchased records for many reasons 'other' than whether someone can sing. In fact going back to some artists over the years, that is possibly the last box ticked.

Manufactured boy and girl bands from the 70's to now werent picked by the record companies and management because they weighed 18 stone, had rotten teeth and leprosy. There may have been a reason for that TAE.

I don't think she is anywhere near as good as the hype. But that's not unusual in the entertainment industry or celebrity circus.
The entertainment industry is exactly that....Shiny objects, pretty, scary, unusual, unique or especially rare things that allow we humans to get out of ourselves and into some other creators dream. We go to a museum, we click on the radio or TV, we go to a sporting event, play or concert all to be entertained / distracted from dull drums of life and or inspired, humored, frightened, excited or absolutely blown away. Good and Bad are subjective as are Ugly and Beautiful. Personally as someone who sings, took a voice class in college and can hold a note. I would of been totally blown away if I was sitting in a coffee shop somewhere and this Adelle chick was sitting on a chair strumming her guitar and singing pretty much anything she wanted to sing. She is really good...so are millions of others. As a performer who has experienced both ho hum crowd reactions and OMG gee you guys are terrific encores I can tell you sometimes it's just unpredictable. Having performed live both in a band and as a solo artist I have experienced the craziness of it all. It's all about perspective and circumstances. One of the most fun reactions I ever had was in a small middle eastern Mexican restaurant in China ( hows that for a strange setting) . All by chance and me taking one...I had stumbled upon these Russian musicians walking to their gig, followed them there, watched them was entertained and then another Russian band played and some guy who had been walking around the restaurant goes up and starts singing Frank Sinatra songs pretty damn well...Well he wraps up and starts walking past my table and stops and ask...You're a musician? Wow, how'd you know? I could just tell then he sits down and starts talking and after I tell him I play keys and sing he tells me I should go up and do a few tunes. Nah I say...He goes on I don't do this for the money , I do it because I love it. Damn he got me.... OK I'll do a few...so he gets it set up that when the band takes their next break I go up and do a song or two. I am introduced as Tomco a special guest from LA...No one knows who I am but here I am... I bang out "a song for you" ala Leon Russel...Holy shit...The crowd went ape shit...The owner of the restaurant is going crazy...buying me drinks telling me this is my home anytime I'm in Guangzhou...damn! It was surreal.. I ended up playing and jamming till 3 in the morning ...who'da thunk?

I'd encourage you to look past her fame and look deeper into her story and her passion...she sings like a bird because she truly loves to sing and you can feel it if you listen and watch closely. That crowd felt my love for playing and responded back with a shit ton of love.

Oh yeah and this happened just about 6 years ago...a 62 year old ancient dinosaur rocker... it isn't always just about looks, though I am a bit on the chunky side, balding and wrinkly....:laughings:

Last edited:
Well I remember being sick to death of the stuff I was force fed by radio and tv back when I was a teen. Then I heard some stuff by 'newbies' and I thought how different they were.

One of those bands today is revered as being one of the biggest bands on the planet and their singer one of the best that ever was.

I also remember another band which arrived years later. They became mega successful but their music was mediocre and the singer average at best. But they jumped on and rode a wave and told everybody how great they were and he told everybody how great his voice was. I also remember they happen to copy some of the things and the sayings of the first band I mention. Many people refer to them as a load of what is called 'shisters' meaning basically chancers who got away with it

I mention no names but the same arguments could be applied to many people in the business. Just because you are successful doesnt mean you are a good musician or singer or even band.

As Rob says 'Marmite'..........Love em or hate em,. He also gave an example recently of a singer who wasn't too good but got away with it.

Mr Cohen had a voice that could strip plaster from walls. He was never known as a great singer, but he did some world breaking songs and packed the venues out every time.

Perhaps we should have a bitchy thread on who is and who isnt...........Marmite.

Mr Cohen had a voice that could strip plaster from walls.
Good and Bad I define these terms quite clear, not doubt , somehow...ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

One mans ceiling is another mans floor...linoleum
One mans trash is another mans treasure..

On Leonard Cohen I fricking love him, his voice, his styling AND his amazing lyrics..

It all started with Suzanne back in the late 60's ...but then Bird on a wire and Hallelujah and so many more...He's just incredible and yet you liken his voice to a voice that could strip plaster...Heresy I tell ya!

Well just for shts and giggles I will throw out this one- Tchaikovsky is severely over rated IMHO. Boring, flat yuck mouth. Unfit to carry J.S.B's slippers.

I remember when all the "hip" folks were crazy for Leonard Cohen. He never did much for me;

Other very popular singers with strange or bad voices are Bob Dylan and Neil Young. Both are very nasal. Early Dylan is almost joke to me. The songs make up for a lot of "sins".

I remember when all the "hip" folks were crazy for Leonard Cohen. He never did much for me;

Other very popular singers with strange or bad voices are Bob Dylan and Neil Young. Both are very nasal. Early Dylan is almost joke to me. The songs make up for a lot of "sins".
I wonder how many people told Leonard, Bobby and Neil they couldn't sing, don't quit your day job before they made it. Sure glad they all followed their passion cause their songs turned on the lights, opened doors of minds and brought awe and amazement into many peoples lives.

All 3 of em just amazing live performances over the years....I admit their are some Dylan ones that are vocally pretty rough but I could listen to Lay lady lay or knockin on heavens door till the cows came home.

Marmite Artiste = one who audiences absolutely love, or totally hate - Like Marmite the popular UK brand of black yeast based (unless you try vegimite which truly is disgusting) - You spread it on bread and totally love it, or choke and spit it out. Some people even pour boiling water on it and drink it. It takes like meaty guiness that's been allowed to ferment. Nobody ever has no opinion. 100% like or dislike.

Karen Carpenter
Marmite Artiste = one who audiences absolutely love, or totally hate - Like Marmite the popular UK brand of black yeast based (unless you try vegimite which truly is disgusting) - You spread it on bread and totally love it, or choke and spit it out. Some people even pour boiling water on it and drink it. It takes like meaty guiness that's been allowed to ferment. Nobody ever has no opinion. 100% like or dislike.
Jeez I remember that Rob only if me mom had remembered it. Otherwise it was an oxo cube and boiling water.

Back