Adele

Funny thing happened last night. I was in Leicester, picking up my son from University, and due to covid restrictions {he's just recovered from it} I wasn't allowed in the building. And because it was after 10pm, I couldn't get into the car park either. And I ended up waiting an hour while he got his stuff together and transported them to where I was.

In that time, I had to listen to the radio because my iPod battery had died and the ciggy lighter input doesn't power it enough to charge it. And all the stations I could get in Leicester were rather lame, so I had to listen to BBC radio 4. They had features on climate change and Russian science, a woman reading an essay on ritual, a story of some producer in early radio {at least, I think that's what it was; my mind wandered and I drifted in and out of sleep}....

After a while, I just looked around for other stations and came across this one with some woman singing. At first, I thought the song was a bit predictable, but I actually got into it and liked it. I waited for the end to hear who it was by and what it was called, but there was no DJ, it just went into the next song. I don't do music radio, so I went back to the BBC. Anyway, while the song had been playing, I scribbled a few words on a car CD radio manual that was in the glove compartment, to remind myself to see who it was by, later. I had written down "Go easy on me" and "I was just a child" and I'd forgotten about it until just now.

So I typed in the words on a lyric site and it was when I saw the words that I looked at who it was by and it turns out to be "Easy on me" by Adele. Though I've not heard it in its entirety, I bought the download.

Nope, she can definitely sing.
To be honest, I don't really care who it's by.

But the fact that the thread was meant to be one putting down her singing kind of made it rather amusing to me. And if she used autotune at any point in this recording, may the money I spent on the single roll down the rattiest drain in town !

I had to listen to the radio because my iPod battery had died and the ciggy lighter input doesn't power it enough to charge it. !
Hmm. This is sus. The Alternator should be making enough current. Figure +12 volts and at least 60 amps driving.

Check the battery ground.

Adele can indeed sing, and I saw that Rick Beato episode where he was fawning over Adele. The song in question sure sounded like another overwrought ballad, something Adele specializes in. Rick claimed no Autotune was used, but I know it's been used on her in the past.

I finally had watched the recent Adele special. Yeah, she can sing. She's got a powerful voice. However, I really didn't care for most of the songs. But more importantly, there's something about her vocal style that just didn't move me.

I can listen to Diana Krall all day. Ann Wilson, Kelly Clarkson, Pat Benetar, there are probably a dozen others that I would rather listen to. Between her and Lady Gaga, I'll take Gaga for the voice, not necessarily song choice.

But the fact that the thread was meant to be one putting down her singing kind of made it rather amusing to me. And if she used autotune at any point in this recording, may the money I spent on the single roll down the rattiest drain in town !
No not really. I should have reworded my original at the beginning. More like is she as good as the hype around her especially after watching the Beato video. I still dont think she is good as some make out and yes the last one reminds me of Zed.

Adele can indeed sing, and I saw that Rick Beato episode where he was fawning over Adele. The song in question sure sounded like another overwrought ballad, something Adele specializes in. Rick claimed no Autotune was used, but I know it's been used on her in the past.
I like watching him, but I found that video embarrassing, so I switched off after a few minutes.

I had not watched the Rick Beato video until just now and only watched a few seconds of it. Yeah he gets a bit over zealous. She is a fantastic female singer...crazy good songwriter to. I have seen and heard a ton of great female singers, some world famous and some totally unknown to the mainstream. I had the honor and privilege of playing keys in a praise band where the female music director had the voice of a freeking angel and was a damn good musician too. My daughter has a killer voice and in high school got to work under an incredibly talented Choir director. My lord she and her classmates were so lucky to have such a talented coach. It was there that I saw a few other singers who without the coaching of Judd Bonner would not have ever gone where they went. Raw talent, right place at the right time, luck and hard work got Adelle to where she is today and there was a litany of other people that helped her to where she is. A really great female singer. So Rick kind of gets a bit over excited on some things that are good but not THAT good.

I get it though...caught up in the moment...

Several times when my daughter was singing under Judd I was awestruck what this guy was bringing out of @ 30 public high school kids....Both my girls got to work under him and man there were a few girls that were every bit as good as the pro's. He was a taskmaster but brought the cream to the top...He left the public high school gig for a gig with a California Baptist University...

Here's a video of a recent concert he directed...In it you'll hear some voices that are on par with the best of the best...or am I just being a little over zealous ;)

I had not watched the Rick Beato video until just now and only watched a few seconds of it. Yeah he gets a bit over zealous. She is a fantastic female singer...crazy good songwriter to. I have seen and heard a ton of great female singers, some world famous and some totally unknown to the mainstream. I had the honor and privilege of playing keys in a praise band where the female music director had the voice of a freeking angel and was a damn good musician too. My daughter has a killer voice and in high school got to work under an incredibly talented Choir director. My lord she and her classmates were so lucky to have such a talented coach. It was there that I saw a few other singers who without the coaching of Judd Bonner would not have ever gone where they went. Raw talent, right place at the right time, luck and hard work got Adelle to where she is today and there was a litany of other people that helped her to where she is. A really great female singer. So Rick kind of gets a bit over excited on some things that are good but not THAT good.

I get it though...caught up in the moment...

Several times when my daughter was singing under Judd I was awestruck what this guy was bringing out of @ 30 public high school kids....Both my girls got to work under him and man there were a few girls that were every bit as good as the pro's. He was a taskmaster but brought the cream to the top...He left the public high school gig for a gig with a California Baptist University...

Here's a video of a recent concert he directed...In it you'll hear some voices that are on par with the best of the best...or am I just being a little over zealous ;)

Hard to make out voices in a chorus. But yeah, there’s tons and tons and tons of amazing singers out there that people will never know.

When I dated a girl in college, she had the lead of this one musical, and there was one song in there that’s brutally hard. “Shine” I think it was called. Her vocal coach gave a backhanded compliment saying, “there’s only a dozen singers out there that can sing this song, and you’re one of them, but they can at least sing it in tune.” Well, when I heard the play, I didn’t hear any pitch problems.

Reactions: TAE
My last year of Jr. High School (9th grade), we had a kind of talent show in our auditorium. One young lady from our 9th grade class belted out Shirley Bassey's version of "Goldfinger". Blew everyone away. Sounded just like the movie intro I heard in the theater.

Reactions: TAE
Hard to make out voices in a chorus. But yeah, there’s tons and tons and tons of amazing singers out there that people will never know.

When I dated a girl in college, she had the lead of this one musical, and there was one song in there that’s brutally hard. “Shine” I think it was called. Her vocal coach gave a backhanded compliment saying, “there’s only a dozen singers out there that can sing this song, and you’re one of them, but they can at least sing it in tune.” Well, when I heard the play, I didn’t hear any pitch problems.
he definitely lets the cream have their solo's check out this one @ 2:30 she's a bit of bad ass,,

This is a audio clip from a rehearsal / practice with the praise band I got play in for a few years...Just a little recorder sitting on my keys during practice...Dolores is amazing

Last edited:
My last year of Jr. High School (9th grade), we had a kind of talent show in our auditorium. One young lady from our 9th grade class belted out Shirley Bassey's version of "Goldfinger". Blew everyone away. Sounded just like the movie intro I heard in the theater.
That's bold...would of loved to see that...

I like watching him, but I found that video embarrassing, so I switched off after a few minutes.
Yeah, he's really good, but he does sometimes offer too much praise where maybe very little is warranted. My God, Adele is nothing but big production in service to what are often merely okay tunes. But with a voice like that, she can about do anything and it will bowl over a lot of people. She's really good. Speaking of Rick, I think he also went Way Too Far in his adulatory remarks on Billy Eilish, declaring her to be the "new Kurt Cobain"(!) after Dave Grohl made the remark about her. Rick kept insisting that one of the good things about Billy is that her music is "tasteful," which seems like the utterly wrong word to apply to rock or pop music by anybody (except perhaps Adele?). Grohl's opinions have no more weight than mine on the issue (or Rick Beato's), but Rick used this as prima facie evidence that Eilish is the new Cobain. Rick came off as more of an uncritical admirer of Eilish (and Grohl) than someone honestly trying to critque modern pop music and Eilish's place in it. Which is okay, because it's his show and it got people thinking about the whole thing. It's well worth watching the video, and the comments section was filled with a few thoughtful comments, and some not-so-thoughful.

I dig Rick because he wears his heart on his sleeve and nearly always has some interesting stuff to say. He can be technical and theoretical, but his enthusiasm trumps that. I do appreciate his technical, theoretical side, though. His videos on why orchestral pieces sound like they do is really eye-opening for the hoi polloi.

Tell you the truth, the Adel video that he did was the last I watched of him. The opening of him just crawling over her latest I couldn't stomach and have never been back. Any other time I found him very interesting, but that destroyed it for me. It was embarrassing.

Well singing isn't her only quality. Boy can she celebrity bitch and whine.

Me, me, me, me, me! I hope with all that money she has she can refund all the people who bought tickets.

Poor celeb me. Her next single is the old Roy Orbison hit......... 'Crying'!

Yeah, I heard a lot of fans were really raking Adele over the coals. I would be crying big tears if I was going to miss out on an estimated $500,000/night payday!

You might get the ticket cost back, but if you flew to Vegas and booked a room mainly to go to the concert, that's more costly than the ticket. Waiting until the day before it opens really stunk. Anyone staying at Caesars was probably paying a minimum of $250-300 a night for a room.

I have heard several acts have postponed or cancel their residencies in LV. Things were starting to reopen when I was there in September, but I guess Omicron has turned things back. Diamond Dave cancelled his shows. Boyz 2 Men, Lionel Ritchie, Post Malone have put their shows on hold, but they weren't supposed to start until Feb or March, so at least people have a chance to rebook or cancel rooms and flights.

Yeah, I heard a lot of fans were really raking Adele over the coals. I would be crying big tears if I was going to miss out on an estimated $500,000/night payday!

You might get the ticket cost back, but if you flew to Vegas and booked a room mainly to go to the concert, that's more costly than the ticket. Waiting until the day before it opens really stunk. Anyone staying at Caesars was probably paying a minimum of $250-300 a night for a room.

I have heard several acts have postponed or cancel their residencies in LV. Things were starting to reopen when I was there in September, but I guess Omicron has turned things back. Diamond Dave cancelled his shows. Boyz 2 Men, Lionel Ritchie, Post Malone have put their shows on hold, but they weren't supposed to start until Feb or March, so at least people have a chance to rebook or cancel rooms and flights.
I thought she had over a £100 million. If she cancelled she can pay everybody's loss that's only fair.

I've spent ten weeks fighting the closure of my show with every morning's covid test results coming in scaring the pants off me. I don't like Adele that much, but to do her show she needs a core of people. The people saying she should just have done it have no idea of how complex these shows are. I'm also pretty amazed that the economics of how showbiz works are so misunderstood on a forum where many of us do live work.

The decision to cancel was not Adele's. It would be her management - the people with the lawyers and accountants on call 24/7. None of us are privy to the deal in place. The sums of money being talked about always make me smile. When you book these kinds of event in the middle of a covid epidemic, the chance of cancelation is not exactly an unlikely event? All the booking sites have small print on cancellations/refunds/deferment.

These shows are not random events every show- they're fully choreographed and timecode. If your crews incomplete, or not fully rehearsed, there really is no option for her to just go on stage a do it. If her management say it cannot happen, she has no choice, and while she may well be paying for all this, that's settlement, later. If the show is not ready, you cannot open. That's how it works. She might be turning on the waterworks, but she's probably been far more angry and grumpy with the management - the tears are for the public.

Back