Adele

Orson

Am I the only one who thinks that Adele cannot sing? Her last record reminds me of as if Zed McGlunk was singing it.

Just my thoughts.

Correction........ Is she as good as the hype?

Last edited:
Can't say anymore. We're probably not hearing her real voice anyway. Give me some Anne Wilson or Clare Torry.

I won't opine too far on this other than to say she always sounds to me like she has a frog in her throat, however I have noticed the same sort of phlegm-iness in UK actors doing Standard American accents.

Am I the only one who thinks that Adele cannot sing? Her last record reminds me of as if Zed McGlunk was singing it.
Zed McGlunk and the Schmebulocks have some wonderful vocals {Z has a 5 octave range and can break windows as well as deafen fish at the bottom of the ocean} but some kinda dodgy violin playing. Funnily enough, their violinist is called Buzzia Dell.

I'd have her voice doing backing vocals on my songs, any time !!
And you would probably earn fist full's of cash. But great singer? No way and my mind boggles on how that is claimed. But it's got to the stage where people go fanatical over something which really is just nothing. Total hype!

Last edited:
Watching the recent video at the US observatory made me change my mind about her. I don't like the music much, but the girl can sing - quite well actually, based on the usual criteria. Pitch - the slide up technique is pretty well controlled, and her tuning seems fine. Timbre - she has a characteristic tone and again, it's controlled. Diction - she sings better than she speaks. Can she sing? Yes, she can. You might not like her style, or attitude, or persona - but there is no doubt she can sing, and an awful lot better than many - especially when she belts.

Last edited:
Watching the recent video at the US observatory made me change my mind about her. I don't like the music much, but the girl can sing - quite well actually, based on the usual criteria. Pitch - the slide up technique is pretty well controlled, and her tuning seems fine. Timbre - she has a characteristic tone and again, it's controlled. Diction - she signs better than she speaks. Can she sing? Yes, she can. You might not like her style, or attitude, or persona - but there is no doubt she can sing, and an awful lot better than many - especially when she belts.
I heard her sing that Hello song or 'word'. Then I heard this latest one on radio the other day after watching Mr Beato swoon over her recently . I have heard a few recent interviews/complaints/moans in past few weeks and heard/read how her divorce is to blame for everything....................and thats it in total besides pics of before and after weight loss. I know nothing else.

The weight loss was impressive to me and that is about all.

Still..........what do I know. I rarely bother to listen to most bands today. Most remind me of Sparky's Magic Piano or Laurie Anderson.

I haven't really listened to anything by Adele except for the occasional times she has been on the radio, usually while I'm in the car driving. I recorded a recent tv show with her, and I think Oprah, but have yet to watch it. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

However, the other night I watched a special with Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet. Now that girl can SING! I can't say much for the hype and don't really know any of her "hits", but when it came down to belting out some jazz standards, the lady can do it. She gets a little over the top, but that's an "artistic choice". As for talent, it's there.

+1 For Lady Gaga. She has a pop sensibility that I am not really all in with but great pipes. Another I have been impressed with vocally is Pink, who, like Lady Gaga , works in a genre I'm not really a consumer of. For Adele type bluesiness I like the sound of an artist called ZZ Ward. "Put the Gun Down" is a good one from miz Ward

OTOH, a female singer I can't abide is Celine Dion. Don't get me wrong- she is great at what she does and I won't claim she can't sing. I just find her unlistenable. 'Druther put spikes in my ears if I had my 'druthers.

+1 For Lady Gaga. She has a pop sensibility that I am not really all in with but great pipes. Another I have been impressed with vocally is Pink, who, like Lady Gaga , works in a genre I'm not really a consumer of. For Adele type bluesiness I like the sound of an artist called ZZ Ward. "Put the Gun Down" is a good one from miz Ward

OTOH, a female singer I can't abide is Celine Dion. Don't get me wrong- she is great at what she does and I won't claim she can't sing. I just find her unlistenable. 'Druther put spikes in my ears if I had my 'druthers.
Lady GaGa singing and some of her songs as well. But it should stop there. She and others are entertainers and thats it.

Celine Dion a good old warbler, but she has been through the ringer of late losing her hubby and all that.

Pink, yeah another one who can belt them out.

I can't think of many others today. :unsure:

Just my thoughts.
Yes you are one of the only ones who think Adele cannot sing - there's a difference between inability and not liking the way someone sings.

Yes you are one of the only ones who think Adele cannot sing - there's a difference between inability and not liking the way someone sings.
Mmmmm. Perhaps I should have worded it better.

Actually a few people agree with me.

Last edited:
Adele...top notch IMO.
Lady Gaga....top notch IMO.

Millions of fans for both. All are opinions. Hard to so many are wrong.

Saw the Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett show. Awesome talent all around.

Mick

Reactions: TAE
Agree with the MIckster...I think she is damn good and Gaga is too...Of course after watching the Voice these last 20 seasons I've come to accept and realize there are a shit ton of incredible singers in this world. You know who else is a bad ass is Kelly Clarkson...that girl can sing her ass off.

There are and have been loads of singers whose voices I might not like but they can certainly sing. In the 70s, quite a few well known people used to go gaga for Ashley Holt. I cannot abide his voice, but he could sing.
Tiny Tim, I'm not so sure......:unsure:

If you draw up a list of things you could use to decide if somebody could sing it will be flawed. Pitch, rhythm, tonality, purity these kinds of thing and say a tick = 1 point and therefore a good singer would be 4, and a bad singer would be 1 - it fails the minute you apply it to real people. Frank Sinatra would really struggle. By any practical rating he should be a bad singer, but he's a great one - but there's something in his voice that overpowers any of the rules? You can hear loads of flat notes, loads of out of time notes, loads of mangled diction - but the result is a great song, with style. Maybe this is what gets Adele into trouble - her way of singing while technically accurate really annoys some of us? Same thing with Celine Dion. Elton John has in his early songs loads of lyrics that you have to google to know what he sang - now he's got old, his voice has pretty much gone. The range, the power and the clarity gone and the way he has to sing live now because of his age is not Elton any more, as we remember him.

If you draw up a list of things you could use to decide if somebody could sing it will be flawed. Pitch, rhythm, tonality, purity these kinds of thing and say a tick = 1 point and therefore a good singer would be 4, and a bad singer would be 1 - it fails the minute you apply it to real people. Frank Sinatra would really struggle. By any practical rating he should be a bad singer, but he's a great one - but there's something in his voice that overpowers any of the rules? You can hear loads of flat notes, loads of out of time notes, loads of mangled diction - but the result is a great song, with style. Maybe this is what gets Adele into trouble - her way of singing while technically accurate really annoys some of us? Same thing with Celine Dion. Elton John has in his early songs loads of lyrics that you have to google to know what he sang - now he's got old, his voice has pretty much gone. The range, the power and the clarity gone and the way he has to sing live now because of his age is not Elton any more, as we remember him.
Are you in for a hissy fit tantrum if you ever run into him!

Personally I think he has gone from a great rock star to an embarrassing nagging grandmother.

Last edited:
Back