additional hard drive

guttadaj

Howdy, folks.

I'm getting a new hard drive for Christmas, and I just want to double-check how it's supposed to be set up to maximize SONAR performance.

Is it that audio files should be on a separate drive from the system files?
Or, is it that audio files should be on a separate drive from the SONAR application files?

How do you guys have yours set up? I've heard that having the system installed on one of the drives and everything else on the other drive is a good way to do things, because then system reinstalls can be done without affecting any program/data files.

Thanks! :)
-Jeff

OS and software on boot partition.

Data files on second drive.

Not only does it protect data from system maintenance and problems, it provides improved efficiency of reading and writing.

AGCurry said:
OS and software on boot partition.

You must mean on the boot drive :) Make partitions on single HD doesn't improve it's performance, phisical wise. Those partitions still share same head, cable and IDE channel.

You can set Windows, Cakewalk, and other programs on first phisical HD. Project and audio files on the other HD. It is recomended to use separate cables on different IDE instead of line 'em up on single cable (as master and slave). Each should have their own slot. If you have CDRW or DVD, connect it to share with first HD's (boot) cable.

So...

IDE 0 = -->HD1 (OS and Progs) -->CDRW or DVD
IDE 1 = -->HD2 (Project and audio files)

Use 80 pin cable (with grey, black and blue connector) instead older 40 pin cable.

Either FAT32 or NTFS will do just fine (with their own respective pros and cons).

One more thing, leave Picture Cahce folder on first HD (OS and Progs).

;)
Jaymz

Thanks, guys!! I knew I could count on you to steer me right! :)

Oh, btw, my folks are upgrading my Sonar 3S to 4S for Christmas! Yippee! :D I'm sure my wife will be thrilled - means I'm pretty much useless for the first couple of weeks after I get it. :rolleyes:
Now all I have to do is reinstall Windows XP and pray that it will recognize my Audiophile 2496 soundcard. :(

Thanks again!
-Jeff

I've got my second HD set up with only data files... BUT

I also have my swap file set to my second HD because it is so much faster. Is this a mistake for HS 2004 performance?

No, that should not be a problem - in fact it's good - IF you set the page file setting to a static size (minimum = maximum). The page file's main use is in serious multitasking, and when you're recording you should only be using the recording application.

Back