Acoustic strings for a retro/vintage sound?

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
I'm working on a project right now where I'm looking for sort of a "vintage"/retro sound (think early 20th Century, almost).

I've got a few sets of strings that I can use, that are different materials. I've got some Phosphor bronze, 80/20 bronze, Aluminum Bronze, "Earthwood" (Ernie Ball), and Martin's "Monel" strings.

I also found some D'Addario Nickel Bronze I'm thinking about buying if they'll work. Martin has some "pure nickel" strings but they're $40 for one set.

Which of these would be best to put on my guitar and record with? The main guitar I'll be using is a Takamine EG334 cutaway. There's also one song I want to do on a 12-string, which has a laminated spruce top.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
early 20th century didn't really have steel strung guitars did they? Just gut strung acoustics? If you mean 21st century - then strings are hardly going to do much? Vintage/retro is more differences in EQ and playing style? String changes are personal to the player really. If you have a dull guitar, bright strings can be better, or vice versa. I'm not sure what your 'vintage' sound actually is?

Here's some stuff on early 20th century gear. Scroll down a short way to see some string offerings (Eagle Brand, Black Diamond, LaTosca and Bell Brand). The strings were heavier gauge, heavily silver-plated polished chrome steel - no sizes given.

Last edited:
early 20th century didn't really have steel strung guitars did they? Just gut strung acoustics? If you mean 21st century - then strings are hardly going to do much? Vintage/retro is more differences in EQ and playing style? String changes are personal to the player really. If you have a dull guitar, bright strings can be better, or vice versa. I'm not sure what your 'vintage' sound actually is?
From what I found, "steel" guitar strings actually came out in the very early 20th century (around 1900 or so).

So I guess my question is: before 80/20 strings, before Phosphor Bronze strings, what was there that was considered "steel" strings on guitars?

I believe that the Martin Retro (monel) would be the closest to what you are looking for. They are made to be very close to what Martin’s first steel strings were.

I believe that the Martin Retro (monel) would be the closest to what you are looking for. They are made to be very close to what Martin’s first steel strings were.
Good. Because I have a couple of sets of Monel strings. I bought a set for my six-string, and a set for my 12-string.

Back