Acoustic Project -- Should I buy an SM57?

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
I'm working on a project right now that's just going to be acoustic guitar and vocals.

The guitars I'm going to be using, most likely, are my Takamine EG334 SBC (Spruce top, Ovangkol back and sides), my Harley Benton D-200CE-12BK 12-string (Laminated Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides), and possibly my Takamine GB7C (Cedar top, Rosewood back and sides).

I already own an SM58. I've heard that the 57 and 58 are essentially the same microphone.

But I'll probably be singing while playing, so I need to take that into account.

There are other mics I'm considering for other purposes, but this is the question for this thread.

If the 58 will suffice, let me know.

I also have some pencil condensers (AKG P170's) that I could use as well.

My preference for acoustic guitar recording for some time has been to use small condenser mics, but I’ve had good results with just about anything. The differences are usually pretty subtle, especially in a mix with voice or other instruments.

So, short-answer-long, I don’t think the 57 is going to be significantly better or different than the 58 for recording acoustic guitar, I.e., that it [sm57] would be a necessary buy. You should simply do some test recordings and mixes with it and the AKG to decide which will work better for you.

If you hear some problems then you could post the recording(s) back hee and ask questions.

I'm working on a project right now that's just going to be acoustic guitar and vocals

Us the AKG P170s - in a spaced pair or an X/Y patterns - the SM58 use for vocals - the contrast will help with the mix.

I have a 57 and 58 and I use neither for recording acoustic guitar. Yeah you can do it and it will sound OK but there are better mic's IMO. There won't be much if any difference in what you hear with the two mic's unless they are really close, in which case the 57 will pick up a smaller pattern. My preference for recording just about any acoustic instrument is a large diameter condenser followed closely by a small diameter condenser.

I actually like the P170 on my acoustic when I am using a pick. I have 2. For finger picking, I tend to go for my Rode M5s. They have less bottom and my fingerpicking can get boomy with some other mics (its a dread, and I don't have strong fingernails, so it's more the pads of the fingers).

I’ve always liked an AKG 414 on acoustic and had a pair of Teac SDC pencil mics. The pencil mics worked really well aimed at the guitar with the 414 capturing the overall guitar and space around it.

No I realize the 414 is pricey. But it is a great all purpose mic.

Any decent LDC would work.

I’d still buy a 57. Great mics, cheap and they have a million uses, maybe 2 million :)

Anyway that’s just my two cents

Would I use a 57 or 58 for a guitar on stage? Probably but for a recording in a nice space you probably have a need for more detail and you say you have a condenser. I’d try that and your 58 and see what they sound like on your guitar. If you hate the condenser sound but need to sing into the 58 then buy a real 57 from a trusted supplier. Avoid Amazon and ebay.

As others have said, use condensor mics on the guitars. Try to record the guitar parts first, then track the vocals, unless you want the 'live feel', in which case you are going to get some bleed, making it harder to mix well.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm probably going to have to find a way to rig it, as I don't have a stand that's the right size (I need one that has about a 30-inch height), but I think I'm going to use the P170's in an X pattern, at least for guitar, where I can. And I think my MK319 for vocals, but I might go with the SM58 for that.

The room and the mic positioning will be possibly more crucial than the choice of mics you are considering. You'll likely need to do a number of takes to determine all that. IMO the smaller pattern of the SM57 will help you out.....and be very useful in the future.

That said....have you tried what you have already? Find a reference track......do some recording takes....and see what you come up with.

Mick

I was just reading the old sticky by Harvey's 2008-2009 ...explaining mics

SDC probably a great choice, you already own AKG P170's. Congrats!
He was using and mentioning MXL 603's SDC, acoustics, and drum overheads....(into a MCI console doesnt hurt)

seems the SDC would be a great choice.
SM81 types used on some Eagles acoustics, but they used so many mics Neumanns84 of course, etc..

Application of a SDC design is good for the acoustic guitar right?

You could add a SM58 track too, see what you think? Unlimited tracks these days....58 will add off axis a bit more, but if its up so close probably wont matter.
Get up close the "room" goes away.....far away mics, add the room.

Post some clips of both!

Ok, so, I think I'm gonna go ahead and use the P170's for the guitar recording. I'm gonna run them through a Focusrite.

But that brings me to a couple of other questions:

Does string type/material matter with relation to microphone? In other words, would I use a different microphone on 80/20 vs Phosphor Bronze? How about for a 12-string?

I've bought a couple of sets of Martin's "Monel" Retro strings that I'm seriously considering using on this project. I also have some Aluminum Bronze and Earthwood strings. I was just wondering if the string material makes a difference in mic usage. I wouldn't think so but thought I'd ask anyhow.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a mic stand that extends to about 30 inches or so? I have one of those microphone "bars" that I can put two mics on (for the X pattern), but the mic stand I have is, for lack of a better way to put it, a "full size" boom-style mic, and I'd really rather not jack with it. I don't wanna spend a lot on it, but I basically just want something I can put in front of me at the right height, put the mics on it, and record.

Back