Acoustic Piezo RUMBLE!!!!! with prizes!

Timothy Lawler said:
I'm closing in on a tolerable sound for my entry.

Who else is working on one besides Snow Lizard and me?

Tim

I should like to offer up an entry...will you really be waiting until the 13th to close the RUMBLE? I can use every day to sweeten (ok, bad choice of words) the sound on my Fender acoustic with Fishman piezo. Guess I'm a sucker for criticism. (read; musician)

DigitalSmigital said:
I should like to offer up an entry...will you really be waiting until the 13th to close the RUMBLE?
Midnight on the 13th it is, and I bet there will be a lot of last minute entries. I'm almost done with mine - likely will have it up Mon or Tues, time permitting. Tracked a solo but I'm kind of getting into it and thinking I'll add to it.

Tim

Spanish Nights

I'm too lazy to scroll up and see whose entry I clicked on.

But Spanish Nights is just an all in all amazing piece. I really really like it. Listening right now.

Pretty cool percussion. The "whistling" sound is nice.

The droplets playing tunes is pretty cool.

Whoever you are, great great piece! :)

Ovations, are OK. Went by the Guitar Center today and played with a bunch of Ovations, they're pretty alright. I like them overall. What's with the price tag, tho! :eek:

The Takamine's are still the best, hehe. :) The Epiphone's are pretty nice too actually. Yamaha always comes in last with the boomy full "rich" sound.

Just thought I'd chime in 'coz I heard someone say Ovation.

Win an MXL990!!! Win a kalimba!!!! Win a rainstick!!!!

Bump. 4 1/2 days and counting to the deadline.

Hope to have mine up today.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Here's my entry. I did a solo cover of the Beatles' Come Together on nylon string, since this is actually a solo piezo contest, but then I got engrossed in it and added several parts to fill it out, so I posted the full arrangement in a separate thread.

It's a Dean Markley Artist Transducer on the bridge of a classical gtr through a Presonus Bluetube pre.

Tim

Nice work, you just won your own mic :p

I started working on my arrangement tonight--I'm a puss, so I'm going to cut the voices separately :D I still need to do the recrown though, and cut a new saddle :eek: No pressure :rolleyes:

Timothy Lawler said:
Here's my entry. I did a solo cover of the Beatles' Come Together on nylon string, since this is actually a solo piezo contest, but then I got engrossed in it and added several parts to fill it out, so I posted the full arrangement in a separate thread.

It's a Dean Markley Artist Transducer on the bridge of a classical gtr through a Presonus Bluetube pre.

Tim

Mr Lawler,

You are the prom, and are entitled to every prize available. It's an honor to be someone who you might be aware of.

None of that annoying piezo boinginess anywhere. I don't think you could've gained much by micing. The recording's great, and your playing's top notch.

Well done.

All the best,

apl

Dogman said:
Tim, I didn't know where to post your accolades, so I will give you this.... :D

Come Together

I think you really, really deserve this.... :eek:
Hey, Dog, I think you're disqualified, unless you're using the new Behringer Piezo Larynx Implant technology.

apl said:
Hey, Dog, I think you're disqualified, unless you're using the new Behringer Piezo Larynx Implant technology.
I just thought Tim's prize, if he should win, should be something he can cherish forever, and ever..... :D

mshilarious said:
I started working on my arrangement tonight--I'm a puss, so I'm going to cut the voices separately... I still need to do the recrown though, and cut a new saddle No pressure
A refret AND a Bach Fugue on gtr. You’re a glutton for punishment. Thanks mshil.

Track Rat – many thanks.

apl said:
None of that annoying piezo boinginess
Glad you liked it apl. I think it’s all in the softness of the putty holding the little monster on the bridge.

Dogman – cool vocal. Very intense. But I agree with apl that in the spirit of the contest you should retrack with a piezo taped to your neck. Actually it’d probably pick up better glued to a rear molar. Seriously though, a good feel to the vocal, especially the breathy low tones.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
mshilarious said: A refret AND a Bach Fugue on gtr. You’re a glutton for punishment. Thanks mshil.

Track Rat – many thanks.

apl said: Glad you liked it apl. I think it’s all in the softness of the putty holding the little monster on the bridge.

Dogman – cool vocal. Very intense. But I agree with apl that in the spirit of the contest you should retrack with a piezo taped to your neck. Actually it’d probably pick up better glued to a rear molar. Seriously though, a good feel to the vocal, especially the breathy low tones.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. Your version of this was just too cool not to mess with... :D
I'm actually setting some of my stuff up different, and might try to do this a little more serious, if you don't mind. That last one was first take, and dry, except for just a bit of verb. I just think this could be a fun tune, and want something to mess with, since all my real tunes are giving me fits right now.... :eek:

mshilarious said:
Nice work, you just won your own mic
Dunno about that... some strong entries... I've just been listening to Alf's stuff and it's really well recorded. Don't know if he'll want the prize though since he's got Schoeps mic's, I believe, and a 3 manual kalimba!

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
mshilarious said: Dunno about that... some strong entries... I've just been listening to Alf's stuff and it's really well recorded. Don't know if he'll want the prize though since he's got Schoeps mic's, I believe, and a 3 manual kalimba!

Tim

Oops I missed those while I was in transit. The viola one is cool. See, good piezos on string instrument often work well, I liked the one I used to have when I had a string bass. Anyway, the viola is a great example of a unique tone that would be tough to reproduce with a mic. It sounds somewhere between a digeridoo and a set of uilleann pipes.

The kalimba . . . I can pretty much guarantee the prize kalimba doesn't sound like that :D

Guitar repair is fun

Fret job went with no troubles, adjusted truss rod, good to go when suddenly the D string broke :mad: Changed it, and then the saddle snapped in half! :eek: Never had that happen before, but this is kind of a problem guitar--the top is sunken a little, so the saddle has to be higher than normal :( Anyway, I swapped in another saddle, it's a little short, but I didn't have time to cut one from a blank.

So here it is, only about half of the prelude--Book I, Prelude #4 in C#m, on an Alvarez steel-string with under-saddle piezo through an ART Dual MP (for sale!):

Aaaah, Bach

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cut these fingernails now!

Back