Acoustic Piezo RUMBLE!!!!! with prizes!

mshilarious said:
Fret job went with no troubles, adjusted truss rod, good to go when suddenly the D string broke :mad: Changed it, and then the saddle snapped in half! :eek: Never had that happen before, but this is kind of a problem guitar--the top is sunken a little, so the saddle has to be higher than normal :( Anyway, I swapped in another saddle, it's a little short, but I didn't have time to cut one from a blank.

So here it is, only about half of the prelude--Book I, Prelude #4 in C#m, on an Alvarez steel-string with under-saddle piezo through an ART Dual MP (for sale!):

Aaaah, Bach

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cut these fingernails now!
Nice playing, and good sound. I personally don't hear anything wrong with it, but I'm easy.... :D

Dogman said:
Nice playing, and good sound. I personally don't hear anything wrong with it, but I'm easy.... :D

There are a few notes with fret noise . . . some because of the low saddle, some because of me :o In the first two measures, the D string wasn't quite in tune yet, but I left 'em anyway . . . close enough for government work.

The finished file was assembled from an embarassing number of overdubs :o

mshilarious, I listened to your Bach prelude while reading along with my Urtext score. I think Bach so transcends the expressive/intellectual power of any other music (at least to me) that your using this composition in a competition such this can only cause even the most objective judge to be swayed by the compositional beauty as it affects perception of piezo tone, so, in effect, this is cheating and you should be disqualified. My attorney is drafting a more formal complaint soon to be filed.

Tim
;)

Timothy Lawler said:
mshilarious, I listened to your Bach prelude while reading along with my Urtext score. I think Bach so transcends the expressive/intellectual power of any other music (at least to me) that your using this composition in a competition such this can only cause even the most objective judge to be swayed by the compositional beauty as it affects perception of piezo tone, so, in effect, this is cheating and you should be disqualified. My attorney is drafting a more formal complaint soon to be filed.

Tim
;)
I agree. That is cheating.

mshilarious, it is a beatiful piece. I like the sound captured. I don't think I'm even in the same skill league to say, "nice playing".

Still, really amazing playing. Very impressive! It does have a moving quality to it.

Timothy Lawler said:

Tim
;)

Well, seeing how you have the score and all, it would only be fair for me to allow you to resubmit--say, Fugue #5 in D :D And don't cop out and play the voices separately like I did :D

Timothy Lawler said:

Tim
;)
Yeah, and your attorney is....MonKEy???? :p

Oh, and in case all you didn't realize, I won this competition already. MonKEy is my bud..... :D

Well the contest ended on the 13th, and we had lots of great entries. I'm not a judge of course, but in the HR tradition of argument superseding all else, my picks are:

best composition: mshilarious' Bach prelude - You can't do better, compositionally, than Bach, even highly compressed Bach :eek:

best playing: tie between Track Rat's Mood for a Day and Mxmkr's Spanish Nights

best Beatles cover: heh-heh :D

And the overall Best sound quality (the actual point of this rumble, it seems): Alf Jetzer's 3 manual Kalimba.

What do you guys think? Guess it really only matters what Finster thinks, as he's the judge, but we can argue anyway.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Well the contest ended on the 13th, and we had lots of great entries. I'm not a judge of course, but in the HR tradition of argument superseding all else, my picks are:

best composition: mshilarious' Bach prelude - You can't do better, compositionally, than Bach, even highly compressed Bach :eek:

best playing: tie between Track Rat's Mood for a Day and Mxmkr's Spanish Nights

best Beatles cover: heh-heh :D

And the overall Best sound quality (the actual point of this rumble, it seems): Alf Jetzer's 3 manual Kalimba.

What do you guys think? Guess it really only matters what Finster thinks, as he's the judge, but we can argue anyway.

Tim

My pick was Alf's viola. The kalimba didn't do much for me, but the viola killed all :cool:

PS Bach was massively edited, but there's only a little compression, maybe 1 dB. The rest of my evil scheme was accomplished with assiduous use of envelopes & crossfades :cool:

Tim, I'm still blown away with the sound you get. I'd have never believed that was a pick up.

mixmkr said:
so, who is the winner, or did I miss that post?
Actually, there are some sounds in here I found amazing. I think the winners are those of us listening and learning.... :D

Timothy Lawler said:
Well the contest ended on the 13th, and we had lots of great entries. I'm not a judge of course, but in the HR tradition of argument superseding all else, my picks are:........

so...who did the judge pick? :p

Back