Acoustic Piezo RUMBLE!!!!! with prizes!

My acoustic is equipped with a Fishman Rare Earth Soundhole Humbucking pickup, so it's neither a microphone nor a piezo.

Can I play?

Hmmmmm...........since I suppose this is an exercize in acoustics going direct, I wouldn't see why not.

apl said:
My acoustic is equipped with a Fishman Rare Earth Soundhole Humbucking pickup, so it's neither a microphone nor a piezo.

Can I play?
But a magnetic pickup is a whole different animal isn't it? Replace those pole pieces with piezo crystals and stick that sucker upside down onto the bridge. Then it'll be a contact transducer. :p

No, wait... if entries abandon the piezo for other recording methods and this morphs into a general acoustic rumble I will have won my argument with mshil won't I?

Tim

This clip is my acoustic with the soundhole pup, dry, no fx, no reverb, no delays, and no compression, pulled out of an old project.

apl said:
This clip is my acoustic with the soundhole pup, dry, no fx, no reverb, no delays, and no compression, pulled out of an old project.
Well, however the rules end up being interpreted... a shrewd entry... I've always thought that "add 9" and maj 7 chords add a sweetness that no doubt has an effect on the psychoacoustic aspects of the tone. Cheater. :p

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
No, wait... if entries abandon the piezo for other recording methods and this morphs into a general acoustic rumble I will have won my argument with mshil won't I?

Nope, as long as they all sound different :p

Timothy Lawler said:
Well, however the rules end up being interpreted... a shrewd entry... I've always thought that "add 9" and maj 7 chords add a sweetness that no doubt has an effect on the psychoacoustic aspects of the tone. Cheater. :p

Tim

If there's any shrewdness here, I've swerved into it serendipitously.

Track Rat said:
I thank you sirs for your kind words. Steve Howe is my hero :D . But just the same the sound of recorded peizos makes me cringe.

Well you picked a case (like most) where they don't sound better than mics. But this isn't a mic vs. piezo argument, it's a piezo vs. piezo argument.

apl said:
This also sounds very good to me. Very clean. And good playing APL.

I haven't played my acoustic in a long time but this seemed like a good excuse to break it out. It's an Ibanez AW 100CE with Fishman piezo (at least I think its a piezo because the pickup seems to be behind inside around where the bridge is). DI through an external Soundblaster card into Cakewalk Home Studio. delay/chorus/EQ for effects.

Ok, my wifes Simon & Patrick, direct to my Delta 44.....
Guitar

This is just a wierd rythum, and I don't know what the guitar has for a pickup... :confused:

SoonerFan said:
I haven't played my acoustic in a long time but this seemed like a good excuse to break it out. It's an Ibanez AW 100CE with Fishman piezo (at least I think its a piezo because the pickup seems to be behind inside around where the bridge is). DI through an external Soundblaster card into Cakewalk Home Studio. delay/chorus/EQ for effects.

I love this piece you are playing.

Dogman said:
I love this piece you are playing.

Thanks Dogman. I've been meaning to make a song out of that riff for about 10 years now but just um...haven't had the time? There's one other fingerpicking riff that I've had around awhile, I'd record and post that one too but I've already started drinking so....

Nice groove on the one you posted, I thought the low end had a great tone. Made me want to throw down a solo on it (and I might..)

Are multitrack recordings permitted providing that there's nothing in them that didn't go through a piezo? I've got a Simon & Patrick acoustic with the piezo thingie, but my idea requires overdubs.

sl

snow lizard said:
Are multitrack recordings permitted providing that there's nothing in them that didn't go through a piezo? I've got a Simon & Patrick acoustic with the piezo thingie, but my idea requires overdubs.

sl

Yeah that's fine.

Sooner Fan, an ultra mellow chorus-y tone.

Dogman, some nice low range chord work with a little delay added. That's a pretty good sounding piezo on the low range of the gtr.

I'm closing in on a tolerable sound for my entry.

Who else is working on one besides Snow Lizard and me?

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Sooner Fan, an ultra mellow chorus-y tone.

Dogman, some nice low range chord work with a little delay added. That's a pretty good sounding piezo on the low range of the gtr.

I'm closing in on a tolerable sound for my entry.

Who else is working on one besides Snow Lizard and me?

Tim

The wife tells me my Stew-Mac order has arrived, so I'll start on fretwork and hopefully tracking this weekend when I get home :)

I will be performing a selection from the Well-Tempered Clavier, one of the minor-key preludes, probably, my chops aren't up to the fugues anymore :o

Back