Acoustic guitar, where do I start?

HazzerX

Hi everyone, I recently posted a video on youtube and I'd be really grateful if you checked it out:

Harry Court - Something Like Olivia - YouTube

Hope you like it! Now my question is, that guitar is my granddads so I can't keep it :( , but I basically want to know what the best acoustic guitars are from anywhere around £300 - £600. As you guessed by the video I like John Mayer so any guitars you could recommend?

Thanks! :)
PS if you like the song I'd be really grateful if you subscribe and like my page! www.facebook.com/harrycourtmusic :D

The best guitar for that price region is the one that feels the best and sounds the best, to you personally, when you are holding it and playing it.

Go to a few shops and try some out. You'll most likely know which one you want when you've played 20 or so different models :thumbs up:

I'm in agreement with Mr Clean here, there will be variations in how they play and also the the tone of the instruments. If you know anyone who has more experience with guitars it would be worth taking them along, as it's possible that a tonally good instrument might not immediately be the one that happens to be set up as good as it could be, thus off putting due to the effort required to make it play well.

All the best

Tim

There are several things to look at when purchasing an acoustic guitar. I think the first thing to decide is what type of tone you want. Do you want a big, boomy, cutting sound like a Martin HD-28? Do you like the more "sparkly-ness" of Taylors? I agree with the previous posters go to a music store, hopefully a good one where guitars are professionally set-up. Which brings me to my next point. Make sure the guitar you are considering plays well. If the action (strings) is too high, you will have difficultly playing and your fingers will become sore much faster. Don't neglect used guitars either. My current guitar is a 40 year old handmade Japanese guitar which outplays many Martins I've put it up against.

Back