Acoustic Guitar suggestions...

downatone

I'm looking to buy my first acoustic, I've been playing guitar for a good 7 years, so am not a noob. I've been playing my electric or dads acoustic, but am finally in a position where I can afford a decent acoustic. I've budgeted around $1500 CA ....
So - what are peoples suggestions?
Good guitars in that price range?

I like the sounds of some of the Larivee's (sp) and Tak's I've played.

:: downatone ::

Oh, (for what its worth) I WILL be doing alot of recording and playing through a system of sorts with this guitar, so I want the pickup sound to be brilliant (this is actually more important than the raw acoustic sound - although I'm sure they go hand in hand; to an extent)...

Also, anyone know of any good Canadian stores to checkout?
I would normally use Long and McQuades or Steve's Music...

cheers
:: downatone ::

apl said:
The Carvin Cobalts seem to be a good value.

I second that. My C850 was an outright steal, looks like they've got a little promo going on them too. But with 1500 to spend you might think about stepping up to a Taylor

Larrivee comes to mind. Their origins are in Canada.

This is what I have:

http://www.larrivee.com/data/products/guitars/D-05E/D-05E.htm

except mine has the cutaway (DV-05E), a clear pickguard, and fishman electronics (mic and under the saddle). If you're mainly recording, get the models without the "E" since I would assume that you plan on micing the guitar...and I paid about $1000 USD for mine (got lucky).

I love my guitar...I haven't heard it's equal for under $2k.

I would shop around and play as many guitars as I could. Don't necessarily let the money dictate what guitar you choose. Let you ears tell you what guitar to choose.

I know that is of no immediate help but I have several acoustics ranging from $200 to $2000 and the low end Yamaha that I have blows away my Martin in sound. But then again I have a nice Tak that sounds excellent too.

I would second the Larrivee's. $1500CDN isn't quite enough to get you into a decent Taylor, but if you keep a hawk-eye open for deals, you could get a very decent Larrivee within that budget. The Fishman electronics will also most likely fit your needs for playing through the system.

I have a Larrivee OMV-05e that is PHENOMENAL for stage and recording. Orchestra body is easy to mic up, and the dual pickup/blender system is a great tool too. Mine was street priced around $1750, but I found it with the wrong tag for $1200!!

If I was to replace my Larrivee with any guitar it would be a high end Tacoma. I have owned Tacomas in the past, and as much as my Larrivee is amazing, the Tacoma sound is unbelievably undervalued.

Larrivée's are real nice guitars, but I'm partial to Taylor's and Taylor's do have a reputation of recording well. If you'd prefer a Taylor and want your Cdn $1,500 to go as far as possible, I suggest that you buy a used Taylor by visiting the "Acoustic Guitar Forum" (formerly the "Taylor Guitar Forum") http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php. Hang-out there and watch the "AGF Classifieds". There are many very trustworthy members at the AGF who sell theirs (often pristine) for very reasonable prices. I bought my 814c new (in Canada) and although I love it, I didn't stumble on the "Taylor Guitar Forum" before buying, or I would've bought a used one through that forum.

Yeah, I hang out on the AGF, too....just under a different name. Actually, its the only forum I don't use this name on. Anyways...

At that level you are looking at a used 300, 400, or maybe 500 series Taylor. I think you can probably get a better guitar in the Larrivee line. They are nice guitars, but you gotta like the necks. This is especially true on acoustics. I personally like Taylor necks, which is why I have bought a couple of them. But I like Gibson acoustic necks, too. You can find a Gibson J100Xtra for that price, as well as a few other real Gibsons used. I like Gibson acoustics too, especially their jumbos.

I personally don't like Taks for 2 reasons. #1 they're overpriced for an imported guitar. #2 they are always really heavy guitars. I used to think they were really cool when I first started playing guitar years ago, so I have played lots and lots of them. They just have kind of a dead feel to them compared to other guitars I have played.

As for Carvins. Before I go and hit APL over the head with a Carvin:) I'll say you had better play before you think of buying. I have no idea how a Carvin acoustic feels or sounds like. And their resale is terrible, so you had better like it before you decide to lay down the money on one.

Used is your friend. Hold your money and keep an eye out for a Taylor, Gibson, Guild, or Larrivee on the acoustic forums and other for sale places. There are always great deals to be had out there. And the more patience you have, the better deal you will get. I got my last Taylor for about 30% of (not off) list and it was pristine in every way.

H2H

Well, I hope the pickup is for live use and not recording. You definitely want to record with mics. IMO Larrivees are the best value out there. I have lived near Buffalo Brothers for ten years and have had a chance to play hundreds and hundreds of high-end guitars. I like Taylors a lot but feel the new ones are a little over priced. A used one might be a better deal. For the price of a lot of new Taylors you can pick up a hand made guitar. For example, I paid $1,500 for my Webber. Nothing in the Taylor offerings and price range at the time even came close.

Larrivees are not as consistant as Taylors, and they have set necks. So you really need to play them before buying. You may be able to find a used Santa Cruz PW in that price range. I have seen several over at BB for that price in the last two years.

Also, Breedlove has a new less expensive line you might want to check out.

Hard2Hear said:
As for Carvins. Before I go and hit APL over the head with a Carvin:) I'll say you had better play before you think of buying. I have no idea how a Carvin acoustic feels or sounds like. And their resale is terrible, so you had better like it before you decide to lay down the money on one.

Used are great buys, when you can find them.

No Ovation fans here?

I'd say Ovation makes some of the best steel-string acoustics I've ever played. For classical guitars, you can't beat an old Taylor.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

depending on the style you are looking for, I'd recommend going with a classical guitar as well. Key is finding one with a good sound and action.

I have a yamaha G-225 classical and for the moderately cheap price of it, sounds amazing.

Taylor makes some great acoustics but some feel they are overpriced, but if you try one of them, you will know it's good quality.

I played a Larrivee for the first time last week. Man, I wanted it, but too much $$. If you can swing it, I would go for the Larrivee. Thats what Im saving for.

Individual acoustics sound different.....go play ones in your price range and see what you like.....don't set your mind on something before you play individual guitars. I can say that Larrivees have never impressed me, but hey, you might find one that plays/sounds great.....so much talk about what to buy, just go play them and pick the one that feels the best. This is also important because you may have a totally different style then those posting here. My friend has a Martin that I don't like because it's dull to me, but it works great with his style. My Taylor is way too bright for him, but it works great with my style.....it's hard to say what you should go get....drive around, play lots of guitars, take another good player for a second opinion, don't just buy what people suggest.....peace

Breedlove AC/25 SR Plus or AD/25 SR Plus

I have the AC/25 SR Plus and it is an amazing value! Top notch in every way and it won't break the bank. Just about everything you can think of that goes into a great guitar, these babies have got it!

Check 'em out....

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/atlas/ac25_sr_plus/

http://www.breedloveguitars.com/products/guitars/atlas/ad25_sr_plus/

They play, sound and look like God himself made each one personally.

Seriously, these things play and sound (and even look) better than Taylors and Martins that cost 2 to 3 times their price! :)

Whatever you do, stay away from Ovation... they sound like total poop when they're not plugged in.

I have a Taylor 310, no electronics. I chose it out of about 5. I love this guitar, and whatever tonal differences it has with higher end Taylors are fairly subtle to my ears. I know someone in the Ottawa Steve's Music store that I'd recommend dealing with, but not the Toronto store.

Back