Acoustic bass hum

CobusCo

I have a hum at around 60Hz on an Acoustic bass (Ibanez). I tought piezo pickups were not suppose to have a hum. The hum is generated by the bass guitar/ onboard preamp. Using a electric guitar in the same chain does not have a hum. Is this common? What is the best way to get rid of it. Eq or noise gate?

So it has an board preamp that gets you to instrument level and impedence presumably? You're getting decent level (i.e. isn't weak, and having to use a lot more gain at the receiving input?
Could be a bad shield wire somewhere?

Hum generated by bass

Hi all

I did a few more tests and replaced the batteries. The hum is coming from the bass itself. I get the hum on the amp ( 6 channel powered mixer) and on DI to the PC. There is no hum when I use a different guitar (6 string acoustic).

I haven't yet tested the acoustic sound with a mic.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cobus

Are you in close proximity to a flourescent light or a CRT monitor?These can cause problems with electric guitar pickups,though I've never experienced it with piezo pickups.
You state it doesn't happen with the electric,is it equipped with humbuckers?

It is either in the on=board preamp or the piezo is shorted to ground. Does it still make sound when its plugged in and the hum is just part of this? Or is it just hum....

Hi

The electric that I use have humbuckers (Shergold Modulator with a phaser module).

I didn't hear the hum till I started to record the bass. I don't usually play it loud through the amp. I ran a EQ preset to remove 60Hz and the hum was gone. With the 50Hz preset it was still there. This was unexpected since our AC power is 50Hz (South Africa). The preset also removed the harmonics. It is possible that the hum is not at exactly 60Hz. I need to spend more time to make sure.

I have currenty less than an hour a day to play around and usually after 21:00.

cavedog0101
I am not sure what your question is: "Does it still make sound when its plugged in and the hum is just part of this"

This is all for now.
Thanks for the interest in my problem.
Happy 2010.

Back