a late night attempt for the third time.

Coughmist

Just a cloud in the sky..
at harder rock.

A little heavier than I normally do, but I think it turned out well. I tried to push the dbs a little bit and i am not hearing any distort other than what was already on the guitars... it could just be me not wanting to hear it though...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6365350

I am minus a bass right now, so some low ends are not quite there, but I was happy with the overall mix and levels. Kinda tunred out as a metallicaish rip , though IMO.

Hope you enjoy!:)

That underlying rhythm guitar at (for example) 1:12 seems low compared to everything else in the mix. It rides pretty good during some parts but when alone it seems low. Good playing overall, I'm not a metal guy but the riffs are solid and the rhythm nice and chunky. Mix (other than that one guitar) is good overall - no distortion apparent and it is pretty loud :D
Who's the hairy guy?

Who's the hairy guy?

I'm not sure. just a google search while I was looking up old beard taxes. I just thought he was sexy... as well as depressed and frustrated. I thought it fit the style of the song! :D:D

well noted, ido1957. It does sort of nullify the "pushing the dbs to their levels" a bit. I would really like to fill the empty air with some bass, but alas, my bass is in st louis with my drummer. I am going to work on it and see what I can come up with!

Thanks!

yeah, i'm a metal guy and i'm definitely wanting more of that rhythm guitar. at some points it completely disappears, particularly when you're riding the E. i like the clutch-esque tone though. i'd double-track it to thicken things up. great lead chops!

hey! thanks for the clutch comparison! love those guys. imo, most of it is the 4th bar note declinations that does it. once i get my fx figured out, I am going to patch it up!

thanks for the chop comp!:)

Yeah,this sounds cool....would sound great with a bass! Really like your leads on this one...kinda sounds a bit like Buckethead at times(1:30)...lot of potential with this one...

Akron eh? I was in Akron last nite, playing with the Akron Symphony at EJ Thomas.:cool: I am there a lot in April. My car smells like Wonder Bread.:D

Music is pretty good. As variaqueepy said, it really needs a bass, it would change the whole eq scheme. As it is, I would probably eq some of the high frequencies out of the guitars, but put the bass in and it might not be needed. Reminds me of King Crimson a bit.

thanks queepy and davidk! I appreciate it a lot. :)

I tried doing a bit with an octave pedal on my guitar a little bit ago, but it didn't turn out so well. I recorded some riffs that sound cool on the guitar, but I am not sure what they will sound like on the bass. I am going to try and get some 16th and 32nd note riffs going on my bass when i return home. a bunch of riding on the E with some finger tap slides on the 12th and 14th fret (E and D strings, respectively)

Thanks again, guys!:):)

Sounding pretty decent...i like this kind of stuff. If you get a bass in there, you might have to shave the bottom off the heavy guitar some, so it fits. Overall, I like where it's heading. :D

Good arrangement and musical ideas. My only criticism is that some of the gtr phrases sound like edited cut and paste repeteated figures are being used. So if you’re really that accurate, please disregard. If they’re really edited repetitions, maybe try a subtle variation in volume automation and timing on each.

Good arrangement and musical ideas. My only criticism is that some of the gtr phrases sound like edited cut and paste repeteated figures are being used. So if you’re really that accurate, please disregard. If they’re really edited repetitions, maybe try a subtle variation in volume automation and timing on each.

I'm not really that accurate. ;) some of it is cut and paste. :D I've been practicing tapping a lot, but my timing does get off occasionally and it is a nuisance to me. :(

Thanks dogman and xlr! :)

Back