A different kind of mix contest

Strave said:
I apologize in advance for dominating.

I sure hope you're kidding around. None the less, pretty good job on your mix. :)

Nine plugs on the lead vocal? What plugs did you use?

caryindy said:
I sure hope you're kidding around. None the less, pretty good job on your mix. :)

Nine plugs on the lead vocal? What plugs did you use?

1. Gate (too much noise to compress)
2. Autotune (bad pitch problems)
3. EQ (Mic and voice were no good)
4. _____ (Thicken up vocals and add what wasn't there)
5. Light Delay (Create a blend for mistakes, though too many to fix)
6. Medium Chorus (Add a pleasant professional timbre to the vocals)
7. Cakewalk Chamber Delay (Finalizes blending)
8. Hard Compression
9. Lexicon Reverb

Thanks

Strave said:
Mix done. Everything done in Sonar on computer speakers. Listen til the end... there's some cool production. Nothing redone but there has been editing.

Mix here

I apologize in advance for dominating.

Wow. That really sounds fantastic. Only one thing I don't like, and correct me if I'm wrong (I am still learning) - whenever the electric guitars kick in the sound goes to crap - completely squashed. Sounds way over compressed to me.

The vocal work is amazing and the acoustic guitar sounds fantastic. What did you do to the acoustic at the beggining?

I used T-Racks to do a crappy little master and make it louder... it's more of the kick that gets squashed into crap :P I think...

Anyways for the acoustics I just doubled it and panned it stereo... I may have eqed it and verbed it... I can't remember.

Thanks though.

Strave said:
To make up for the singer's ability/mic's ability of the lead vocals I had to use a total of about 9-10 plug ins.
Holy crap, that's a lot of plugins! :eek:

At least it worked, though! :D

Nice job of it. It's better than I could do.

This is a quick mix... not done yet... freakin Antares Autotuner makes my computer restart... gotta fix that tonight... anyways, any comments/recommendations are appreciated.

Test Mix 1

let me know what you think... and bare with the 25k download speed. I'm getting that fixed as well.

JazzMang

Damn...there are a lot of good mixes here to compete with...

well...here is my first effort...whatcha think???

thajeremy, I dont mean to be mean or anything, but what is that ungodly noise coming from the left channel in the beginning? Sounds pretty rank...like clipping with a reverb and delay on it.
Otherwise, the mix is ok.

JazzMang said:
thajeremy, I dont mean to be mean or anything, but what is that ungodly noise coming from the left channel in the beginning? Sounds pretty rank...like clipping with a reverb and delay on it.
Otherwise, the mix is ok.

i actually did that on purpose too...:(...

lol...didnt mean for it to be too loud...i was trying to delay the low string on the accoustic.

EDIT: well..not actually the note itself...but kinda like the striking of the string i guess...anyway...its an easy fix...

thajeremy said:
i actually did that on purpose too...:(...

lol...didnt mean for it to be too loud...i was trying to delay the low string on the accoustic.

EDIT: well..not actually the note itself...but kinda like the striking of the string i guess...anyway...its an easy fix...

I see.
I guess it just sounded too much like clipping/popping to be musical to my ears. I like the mix though.
You running the mix thru a compressor/limiter at all? Letting the mix 'kiss' a limiter might tighten it up a bit... but dont go overboard. :cool:

Keep it up.

On my earlier attempts...i did compress the mix a bit but didnt post them...I didnt compress this mix at all...there is some compression on a few tracks..but not the overall mix...

JazzMang said:
Any recommendations for my mix?

to me...sounds like the compression may be a little too much. Around 40 to 50 seconds into it...you can really hear it cutting back on those cymbol crashes.

it will be a few mins before its up..but here is a link to a revised mix...it should work in about 10 mins...

anybody have thoughts on mine...

i listened to it as mp3 versus wav in cubase and it sucks

im disappointed. any tips on how to make is sound good as mp3s too?

thanks

gitrokr said:

thanks
You only uploaded it to the lo-fi slot.

You need to upload a hi-fi version and it will sound ok, assuming the source sounded ok to begin with.

okay i tried something, not very good though. whats the best and easiest way to put one of these files up? its about 4 megs as an mp3.

gitrokr said:

thanks

Maybe it's the fact that it's on Soundclick. I tried to listen and it says the song hasn't been cleared yet.
Why not try a place like Nowhere radio or something. I've never had issues with them, and you don't have to 'join' to download an MP3. Much nicer IMO.

Back