A critique of my songs??

dudlew

Hey guys.

I have some songs on soundclick that I would like you to take a listen and critique.

Sky low has horrible vocals on it because I used a headphone as a mic to do it. (my mic cable went bust)

Serenade for the Soul is an old song about three to four years old

Someyhing About you is as the song name suggests.

All critiques are welcome.

Here is my sight: My soundclick page

Thanks guys. And be brutal. dont worry about hurting my feelings.

D

Sky Low: Too much verb. Nothing is jumping up into my face. Indeed the vocals are horrible :) The idea is nice :)

Something about you: Bass is very keyboard-ish. Not natural at all. Needs compression. Again, nothing is jumping up into my face. It's just all rather midi-ish to me (especially the drums and bass, the synth-line is ok I guess but nothing amazing either). Needs vocals!

Serenade for the soul: Very nice old-skool sound on the drums in the beginning, but don't do the hard-panning thing ;) Vocals could be (alot) stronger. Learn how to sing ;) No real climax in the song.

You've got some nice elements here and there but all together, nothing is keeping me interested. Try to find out how to build up a climax more, and get some better production equipment (budget can be a pain but some stuff sounds really-really-REALLY cheap mate).

I listened to Sky Low. I like the song but I had to listen real close to hear the vocals. The singer sounds like he's being hesitant. Like he's afraid to sing.

The synth at 1:28 sort of sounds odd to me. Plus the spread on it is sort of annoying. The instrument in the right channel in the bridge sounds like it is clipping the converters big time.

Drums and bass sound ok. Very natural sounding. Nice job there.

Guitars sound nice when you can hear them.

I'd go for a minimalist vibe on this one. Loose the synths, bring the vox up in the mix and add some harmony vocals in the chorus and bridge. Maybe add some distorted guitar under the clean guitar.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just figure that all of these songs were done with no mic pre, a Shure AM10 or SM57 plugged right into the onboard sound card's mic input. I know that there is a lot of room for improvement on these songs. Hopefully, when I finally get some monitors to go with soon to be arriving Audiophile 2496 and Audio Buddy, I will beable to mix better and the sounds will translate better to your ears, and I will be able to do better vocals too. ;)

Except for Serenade for the Soul, which I spent alot of time trying to get sounding semi decent with what I had at the time, all of the songs are just rough and put up just to get opinions. And for yours I am grateful.

When I get the chance to do these better, I will update the songs and let you guys know.

D

Back