428 paper weight

BenneB

I had my 428 for a month before I took it back to the shop and got a full refund. Too many compatibably problems from day 1. I didnt get it work proply once. The software bundel that it came with was in my opion was very poor.

It is certainly not without it's problems - support from Tascam seems to have dropped right on out. Mine is finnicky too and doesn't like ANY other MIDI product hooked up to the PC and especially doesn't like processing SysEx MIDI messages.

Since I paid $500.00 for this, I am hard-pressed to abandon it.

J-

Dude, you said it all. That was my experience, too.

I vented my frustration in an almost identical post to yours, on the now defunct tascam bbs. The response I got from Tascam, was that it was probably me, or something I was doing wrong.

The US-428 was a dog, & the worst new Tascam product I ever bought. I kept it only a week, after dickering around with it, and never getting one recording that sounded good. The Cubasis bundled software was anemic of features, to say the least.

The US-428, I hated it. It nowhere as nearly compared to any of the other great Tascam recorder and mixer gear that I own. It was a real let down. It didn't work well, and didn't sound good. Functionality was not as good as a high end Portastudio, IMO.

I got a prompt refund of US$425 for the US-428, after about 5 days or a week, and purchased a new 424mkIII instead, which I'm very happy with.;)

I'm in agreement that Tascam sits in the Loser's Chair for sloughing-off the User's Forum, but I, too, must add that my US-428 is doing fine by me. I'm going to use it to import a bunch of cassette 4-tracks me and some guys did several years ago. Mixing/editing in CEP 2.0.
Also I'm in the midst of trying to learn how to use Bome's MIDI Translator, to get it to work with other applications, like windows moviemaker and Acid.
Being new to computer-based recording, I'm no authority, but this thing seems to function fine, and is producing good sounds (and I think I have ears). Though admittedly, I don't record music for a living. When I get some product I'm gonna post the results, and you guys can give it a good panning!

Rog.

Back