2496 Help from Sonar folks needed:

Sultan5000

Once again, I am posting my question here for two reasons. I am an avid Sonar user, and nobody helps much over ont the computer/soundcard threads.

Anywho...

I had the 2496 working yesterday, but I temporarily switched back to using the computer's sound card. Now that I've re-selected the Audiophile I seem to have a routing problem...???

Settings:
H/W Out 1/2 = Monitor Mixer

Wave Out 1/2 Level set to Unity Gain without Mute.

My input device(keyboard)is passing through fine. I can see the input levels(H/W In 1/2) and I'm getting the physical output to External Mixer.

Sounds, though, played from PC source are not showing any level changes on Wave Out 1/2, so of course there is no physical out...

Guidance!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all.

PS> Yes. I have M-Audio AP Multichannel selected in sound schemes for both recording and playback.

Check Device Manager, and see if any remarks about the Audiophile shows up.

Have you tried to re-install the drivers?

Moskus,

Device manager says everything go. Device working properly and no conflicts. No, I haven't tried to re-install drivers simply because it WAS working. Maybe that's the ticket. The selection to the old card and back caused the prob...

I'll try that...

Sultan5000 said:
The selection to the old card and back caused the prob...
Just to moralize a little bit: Why would you mess with a setup that works? I've done this many times, and I get frustrated with myself every time. But now I've come up with a rule I do my best to follow:

If it works, don't fix it! ;)

Sultan5000 said:
Settings:
H/W Out 1/2 = Monitor Mixer

Wave Out 1/2 Level set to Unity Gain without Mute.

Sounds, though, played from PC source are not showing any level changes on Wave Out 1/2, so of course there is no physical out...

Guidance!!!!!!!!!

You must set H/W Out to WavOut 1/2 if you want to hear the sound from your PC, regardles the Wave Out Level on monitor mixer. If you set the H/W Out 1/2 to Monitor Mixer, then you must raise the level of the Wave Out 1/2 on monitor mixer to hear sound from your PC.

Sultan5000 said:
My input device(keyboard)is passing through fine. I can see the input levels(H/W In 1/2) and I'm getting the physical output to External Mixer.

If you want to hear BOTH source (input 1/2 and wave out) set the H/W Out 1/2 = Monitor Mixer, unmute, and raise all necessary level on monitor mixer.

;)
Jaymz

Moskus,

The reason for my switching around was due to the fact that I don't have any monitors yet. My girlfriend wanted to listen to some music of hers through the computer's speakers, so I temporarily switched back to that card.

I ended up getting drunk yesterday evening and we sort of partied, therefore I didn't get back to working on this problem. Now I will...

Thanks for everyone's advice...I will attempt everything until I get it!

Argo,

I believe I already have it set as you suggest. When you say "raise level" I'm assuming you're talking about raising to unity gain since all we're able to do here is attenuate and un-attenuate. I'm saying this because if there's another level meter for this somewhere, tell me. I'm still getting used to this thing.

Thanks...

I have re-installed the drivers and re-seated the PCI card. Someone suggested disabling the other card in the BIOS, but I'm not sure how to access the BIOS in XP. Should I try this?

10 mins later...
UPDATE
It's working and I have absolutely no idea why. It suddenly started making this clicking sound, filling up the level meter. I rebooted to get it to stop and VOILA! It's working.

I am going to talk to the M-Audio technical people about it. Either my card has a flaw, or I wouldn't be surprised if it's not an XP issue...as for now...I AIN'T MESSING WITH IT! :-)

Last edited:
Sorry for rambling on, but you may be interested in this. I have discovered where the problem is rooted. It seems to be SONAR 2.0

Everything was fine until I went in and enabled the drivers in SONAR. And the card worked fine while in SONAR. When I exited, though, the card would not work, and sometimes when I exit SONAR it starts clicking relentlessly and I have to reboot. I have to disable the drivers in SONAR to get it to work elsewhere...

Sultan5000 said:
Everything was fine until I went in and enabled the drivers in SONAR. And the card worked fine while in SONAR. When I exited, though, the card would not work, and sometimes when I exit SONAR it starts clicking relentlessly and I have to reboot. I have to disable the drivers in SONAR to get it to work elsewhere...
That really sounds like a driver-problem to me...

Sultan, as moskus said, it sounds like driver problem. Can you specify what version of driver you use? (see on "About" tab). And what if you tick "Share driver with other program" in sonar (Options-->Audio-->Advanced)?

Argo,

That driver version is:

I am trying to find out if this needs updating...

Also, I checked "share drivers with other programs" and all I get now is click click click...

Dang nabbit!

Last edited:
Got it! You guys were right. Driver problem.

5.10.00.0036 is the updated driver. Downloaded and everything is great. Thanks Moskus and Argo. Maybe this post will help another helpless soul...

Heheh... glad you solve it, pal :)

Yes, version 5.10.00.0029 has many problem. Stick with 5.10.00.0027 or 5.10.00.0036 :)

Rock on! :D

Back