1997 Analog Recording Articles

trancedental

I’ve got a interesting Sound On Sound magazine from May 1997 containing many pages of articles on analogue recording. Included are articles on Analogue Recording R2R’s, Inside tape machines, Buying a cassette multitracker , Tape machine including head maintenance, ect. So there’s plenty of useful information there.

Just wondering where to put the scans up for everyone to see, any ideas?

Tascam TSR-8 £1295, Fostex G24S, £6399 some of the dealer adverts contained inside!

How about Photobucket?

Now what I'd really like to see are some reviews of these machines from when they were new...

trancedental,

Another alternative would be to scan it, zip it and send it to me via sendthisfile.com. There's a free registration requirement, but it a great way to send single files (or archives) up to 500Mb for free. You upload it and then I get an email with a link to download.

I could then setup a menu directory on my ftp site.

PM if you're interested in doing this.

Wait a minute. Isn't all writing digital, ie, a series of individual, unconnected characters? So since articles are writing, they're digital? So how can you have an analogue article?

'how can you have a digital article'?

a handwritten one would be analogue. :)

No, because it's not the shape of the letters, it's what they represent.

"huudjjheobck,xkd" has the same value whether typed or calligraphied.

What you want is http://www.photolava.com/

Just make sure to either pick the proper 'resize image' or choose 'do not resize', in the drop down selection box, all depending on whether the print is legible or not.

-----

As soon as I downsize these files from 25mb to around 2-3mb they become too unclear!!!!

Just waiting for Sweetbeats to get back to me. I'll zip 'em up & send them to him!

The articles are available...

At this ftp address:

https://www.torridheatstudios.com/ftp/Share/SOS%20Analog%20Recording%20Articles

I put both articles (4 pages for one, 8 pages for the other) in that directory page by page if you have a slower connection and just want to download pages one at a time, and I also zipped them all into a .zip archive (26.3Mb) if you have faster connectivity and want to get the whole bunch at once! ;)

Please be advised that the download speed is not that tremendous even if you have broadband connectivity, so my apologies for that.

Kudos to trancedental for getting these scanned and sent! :cool:

Great I'll send the other 2 articles as well!!!!!!!!!

BTW the articles are as follows:

“Reel World” All about analogue multitrack

“Head Master “ Guide to Analog machine maintenance

“Analysing Analogue” Inside the Tape Machine

“C30, C60, C90, Go!” Buying a cassette multitracker

Last edited:
Very cool.

I'll add them in when I get them. The link above will continue to work as it is a link to the directory, not to the individual files. :cool:

More on the way...

The third article is uploaded and the fourth is in process.

When all is said and done you'll be able to download single pages of any article, or a .zip archive of a single article at a time, or download all pages of all articles in one .zip archive (be mindful that the latter is a 57Mb file).

I've read the first three and there is definitely good stuff in there for all experience levels, though there is a good helping of tech-speak they have something for all, and it is really interesting to read the predictions of the author from over a decade ago and compare to where we are at today. Much of the author's musings about which is the "better" choice, analog or digital have been expounded upon greatly in cjacek's #5000 analog vs. digital thread. ;)

Anyway, thanks again to trancedental for getting these digitized. A good read! :)

I'd give the last article another 30 minutes to finish uploading to be safe.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about how I've got them organized.

I have several backissues of 'On Sound'. They're great to look through, wish I could find more of them.

A really superb magazine was the 'ol 'Modern Recording' from the late 70's- early 80's. Anyone else here familiar with the mag? Luckily, I saved all the issues I got back then, as well as those I found later on Ebay. There's alot of good Info in that mag that you just cant find anywhere else nowadays - 'Tape Op' is alright, but doesnt compare to what 'Modern Recording' was.

or download all pages of all articles in one .zip archive (be mindful that the latter is a 57Mb file).

thanks again to trancedental for getting these digitized.

I've d/l the 'all articles in one' file, the 57mb one. :D Thanks for the option, Cory! Took me not too long, like 3 minutes!;)

Again, thanks trancedental, thanks guys!!:)

---

Back