02R96 question

dogooder

I had to replace the battery in the Yamaha 02R96 console and now she won't boot.
It had been sitting for quite awhile.
I tried initializing it, no go, says it is calibrating faders but nothing happens.
It goes through its regular loading display and will just sit there.
The fan is running, the display is up and ready but the board never comes on line.
I spoke with a gent who knows more than I and he thinks the bios or the firmware
on the console needs to be updated?
I contacted the nearest Yamaha repair which is about an hour away, so not so bad,
but as of yet he hasn't found anything on line and has to get in touch with Yamaha service?
Anyway, anyone know anything about something?
Help?

You've probably done it but I seem to remember you had to hold down a key when you turned the power on to get to the boot menu, but this I guess is what you've done? I think that created the file structure? I know just powering up didn't do it.

You've probably done it but I seem to remember you had to hold down a key when you turned the power on to get to the boot menu, but this I guess is what you've done? I think that created the file structure? I know just powering up didn't do it.
To reinitialize it you hold down the display and aux1 button in the aux array. Tried that, sometimes it says calibrating faders but just sits there. Sometime
it just sits there period with the fan going and the display booted up but the board will not come on line.

Hmm - I could have sworn it was one of those power up while holding a button things for the factory reset? Maybe that was the 03? Sorry.

So far the so called Yamaha authorized repair guy can't help me lol. I guess i will have to look eslewhere.

I emailed the repair guy and told him if he can't help me let me know where the next nearest authorized yamaha repair
guy is located. He emailed me back and told me to call him today. I have been waiting for this guy to come up with something
for two months now.

Just spoke on the phone with the repair guy, I am dropping it off next week. About an hours drive one way.

It means he knows the sequence of buttons to push - because it won't be hardware, and no screwdrivers required!

I have a couple of marine products I sell that use a Government supplied ID number, and these are supposed to be with a vessel for life. When people use them in portable equipment, they often sell them - but the magic number is a one shot entry. I charge £25 to clear the old number, plus shipping back to the customer. One of the products has a menu up and down pair of buttons, you simply go up seven times, then down seven times - and repeat three times and then magically the reset to factory spec menu appears. I'm pleased to say my record for doing this is 45 seconds. As in open box, connect to power supply, turn on, clear memory, put back in box - all done in 5 minutes. Takes me longer to do the UPS!

It means he knows the sequence of buttons to push - because it won't be hardware, and no screwdrivers required!

I have a couple of marine products I sell that use a Government supplied ID number, and these are supposed to be with a vessel for life. When people use them in portable equipment, they often sell them - but the magic number is a one shot entry. I charge £25 to clear the old number, plus shipping back to the customer. One of the products has a menu up and down pair of buttons, you simply go up seven times, then down seven times - and repeat three times and then magically the reset to factory spec menu appears. I'm pleased to say my record for doing this is 45 seconds. As in open box, connect to power supply, turn on, clear memory, put back in box - all done in 5 minutes. Takes me longer to do the UPS!
We have no idea what is wrong with it. It is open now and will be held together by a couple of screws when I get there so it can be easily opened. Not everyone is out
to rip you off. Already tried the factory reintialization. It just sits there saying it is calibrating the faders.

Anyway, anyone know anything about something?
Aside from reseating all the ribbon cables - the Yamaha 02R96 uses the body for ground - so it could be one of the cables isn't grounding - you could try running a cable form the board to the body for ground.

Aside from reseating all the ribbon cables - the Yamaha 02R96 uses the body for ground - so it could be one of the cables isn't grounding - you could try running a cable form the board to the body for ground.
I have triple checked all the cables. Took them off and put them back. I don't have a schematic to find which wires on each cable are ground.

Is there any possibility it’s just a failed fader and it can’t clear the fader calibration process?

Does that mean he offered a substantive solution?
I don't believe he knows more than I do. I can't seem to get a hold of him anymore and I never got the board out there. I am a senior citizen, can't load the board myself and am new in this area and know no one who would help me.

I am thinking of parting it out. I can probably get more for the meter bridge than I paid for the board. I just hate to do it when it is probably such a simple fix.

Back