DAW Users With ADD

Morning!
I was supposed to be working but my job fell through.:(
It looks like the last of the leaves will be coming down this weekend and the weather is crappy.I've got to take my daughter to a Veterans day baton performance at the downtown lakefront which cuts the heart out of my day after that I've got to check on a job.

I hate it when they do that
I keep telling myself I'm not buying anymore software but now they're blowing out UAD1 cards and I can get a Flexi Pak with $650 of vouchers for $300.:eek:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10457&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Now daddy has to reconsider what he's getting himself for the personal gain holidays.:rolleyes:

PACKERS
This is a make or break two game stretch coming up.The Packers need to win the division because a wild card doesn't look like a possibility.The Packers are still somewhat of an unknown quantity right now in my book.

LATER!!!

The Cows have a bye week, finally! I predict a very tight game with the bi week winning when it picks Romo off in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter.
Cowboys 10 Bye week 13.:(

Are you getting your answer? :D :D

That was a backbreaker.:(It takes them from being in control of their destiny to needing things to happen.A loss next week and they may as well play for a draft pick.:eek:

New TV
I finally bought a new TV,I waited till the right deal came out and they had a 36 month free finance deal.:cool:I got a 42" JVC LCD.The first thing I thought when I got home is that I should've got a bigger one.:DI guess it'll do.I have to wait for a new cable box before I can check out the HD.

I didn't go for surround system,but it's always a possibility.

LATER!!!

New TV
I finally bought a new TV,I waited till the right deal came out and they had a 36 month free finance deal.:cool:I got a 42" JVC LCD.The first thing I thought when I got home is that I should've got a bigger one.

Yeah, the price difference to move up to 46" or even 54" really isn't that much considering. :D

I also have a 42", but in my case it's the biggest I could fit into where I needed to put it. I have built-in bookcases, and the TV sits between them, and 42" just barely makes it. When I originally built the bookcases in the late '80's they surrounded my 25" console TV - I mean who would ever need anything bigger than 25"??? :) :)

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• TV.jpg
    TV.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 14
Yeah, the price difference to move up to 46" or even 54" really isn't that much considering. :D

I also have a 42", but in my case it's the biggest I could fit into where I needed to put it. I have built-in bookcases, and the TV sits between them, and 42" just barely makes it. When I originally built the bookcases in the late '80's they surrounded my 25" console TV - I mean who would ever need anything bigger than 25"??? :) :)

Here's a pic...

Very nice - is that your collection of 78's I see?:p

:)

On a musical note - Remember some time back I posted that my daughter had won the Songwriter of the year competition in her first year at College? And that she got to perform it at the famous Shepherds Bush Empire Theater with a full backing band and it went down a storm?

Well, she's continued plugging away writing stuff and she hears that Warners are interested in listing to more of her stuff. So a Producer (quite a well known name) comes and talks to her, tell her she's real cool and that he wants her to be a co-writer for an album he's producing for artist "x" (well known female vocalist here in the UK) and that she would be paid. You can imagine her joyous reaction:D

Her Mom and I were rather more circumspect.;) Anyway, turns out that the Producer wants her to pay for re-recording her demo songs (with him as Producer and in his studio natuarlly) so he can "sell" them to Warners:eek::confused::rolleyes::mad: Have you ever heard such a scam? Of course you have, we've all been there and got the T shirt.:rolleyes:

So now my daughter is devastated with this whole betrayal of trust but at least she ripped into the guy and he apologised for leading her on over this. I told her that this was a good lesson for her - on the basis that what doesn't kill you is all learning.

I will be seeing this Producer in the New Year so should I say anything to him or let it drop? If I saw him now I'd punch his lights out:)

Needless to say we are now figuring out how to get to Warners by another route but its difficult.:(

Her Mom and I were rather more circumspect. Anyway, turns out that the Producer wants her to pay for re-recording her demo songs (with him as Producer and in his studio natuarlly) so he can "sell" them to Warners Have you ever heard such a scam? Of course you have, we've all been there and got the T shirt.
Very common,look at childrens beauty contests,art schools who advertise in magazines and a couple more I can't think of right now.The hook of the scam is to play up the mark's ego.People become easy to manipulate if you tell them what they want to hear.Ego,sympathy and flat out greed,that's what scams are made of.
Your daughter is talented but if someone is really interested they'll show commitment by footing the tab,as an investment.;)In the meantime there's nothing keeping her lazy dad from making a few recordings of her himself.;)

I've been recording quite a bit lately and I feel like I'm making progress.If it gets slow in the dead of winter I'm hoping to take advantage of the time off.

Work
I got a small job Saturday and a door on Sunday.Ever since the bad economy news hit the fan I've been doing great.:D:rolleyes

I also have a 42", but in my case it's the biggest I could fit into where I needed to put it. I have built-in bookcases, and the TV sits between them, and 42" just barely makes it. When I originally built the bookcases in the late '80's they surrounded my 25" console TV - I mean who would ever need anything bigger than 25"???
We recently got rid of a custom built entertainment center for exactly that reason.
With all this time off,you should build some new shelfs.:p

Or record something.:p

LATER!!!!

We recently got rid of a custom built entertainment center for exactly that reason.
With all this time off,you should build some new shelfs.:p

Yeah, except the carpeting is cut around them. New shelves would also mean new carpeting in two rooms. My retirement budget didn't include that particular line item.

What I could do, possibly, is put the TV on a different wall. I've actually given that some thought... and will probably consider it seriously the next time I buy another TV (around 2020). :D

Still haven't heard any more regarding my job offer. I got an e-mail yesterday telling me they hadn't forgotten about it but they needed to line up some ducks first, and it was taking longer than they thought.

I figure it's no sweat off my back, since I'm doing the exact same thing I was doing before they ever approached me. ;) ;)

Guy, if you had hurried up and got your HD box from the cable company, you could have watched your boy Favre in HD tonight. Except, of course, you probably don't have the NFL Network anyway. :p :p

(I don't either, but luckily they show those games on a local channel when the local home team is playing - meaning we get it whenever the Jets or Giants are involved.)

HAPPY SATURDAY!

Those are called albums, wise guy. I keep them around for cleaning the seeds out of my pot. :eek:
Sure,that's a good excuse for having all those Air Supply and Barry Manilow records.;)

Yeah, except the carpeting is cut around them. New shelves would also mean new carpeting in two rooms. My retirement budget didn't include that particular line item.
Just build the new shelves over the old spot or put a couch on top of it.:D

you could have watched your boy Favre in HD tonight
Go Jets!If they make the playoffs the Packers get a second round pick,if they go to the superbowl we get a first rounder.:cool:

LATER!!!

HD question
I'm using the RCA type component connections,is the HDI connector better?
:confused:
HDMI is a digital connector. It is ostensibly the best quality connection. However, personally I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component connections. Component connections are analog. They are RCA connections, but there should be 5 of them. Three video, and two audio.

DO NOT
use S-video, or composite (RCA with only three connections (red, yellow, white). Composite carries the entire video signal on just one connection (yellow).

Normally the cable company will hook it up for you. Typically they will do it with the component connections. To my eye, this is fine. Just make sure there are five cables involved.

If you want less clutter, then go digital. I don't think it is any "better," but it only requires a single cable for both the audio and video. (Of course, since you didn't go for surround, you still might need to use separate audio cables. :) ).

I took the old cable box to the mall and traded it for an HD and the guy there told me the HDI only made a noticable difference on TVs 50" and over.The salesman at the appliance store tried to sell me the HDI cable,but I balked when I heard the price($40:eek::confused:) deciding to wait for more information.
I must say this is the first TV I've ever had to read the manual for.Instead of daisy chaining the components each has it's own input with it's own settings just like a mixer.There are three HDI inputs,two HD RCA inputs,two standard analog,one coaxial,standard audio outs,S-video,digital audio,USB AND an I-Pod dock.:eek:The USB is set up for showing pictures from a camera and the TV can control it as a slide show or thumbnails.The remote can also control the I-Pod,if I had one.:o

I didn't buy the TV for any of these features,I wasn't even aware of them,but I'm going to end up using thenm as they seem to be practical features.

I got it all set up and I'm looking forward to watching the Bears get stomped in HD today.The picture looks good (1920X1080) but it does pixelate on fast motion shots a little bit,there's a ton of settings and I'll see if one of them will help out.

LATER!!!

I took the old cable box to the mall and traded it for an HD and the guy there told me the HDI only made a noticable difference on TVs 50" and over.
He's clueless. :rolleyes:

If you're interested, I found a web site similar to HR.com for all things Hi-Def. I used to go there quite a bit when I first got my set. You might find it helpful.
Check it out, you'll probably find it pretttttty familiar looking. :D
http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php

Back