Is a short scale 28-30" bass something needed in an instrument collection?

While I am exploring a new bass rig I was thinking if there was a new Bass Synth out there. My Korg G5 is an old 16 bit machine. It is a Toneworks creation and favorite for funk. Goes places an 'Osc' cannot go. The G5 has all kinds of tracking artifact. That adds in harmonics and noise at transitional points in the run. The Korg stuff always had the 'Class B' feeling, or that it was cheap (it is). Let me say this, Korg brings the goods. They have some of the best effect ears in the business. Their presets are dynamite.
Screenshot 2023-01-15 043901.jpg

What are yall using for a Bass synth? Tell me you are adding in something, to get in touch with your bad self. It is part of the reason you play bass..bass synths. Blending the sounds in..

Cherry Audio gave away a free VSTi soft synth, the CA2600. It can accept an external input (a bass guitar through an interface) for synthesis, instead of a midi controller. I was messing with it as a bass synth. Very cool. Unbelievable really. Can do anything. Why ever buy hardware pedals again...Oh. Wait. Thats bad. Will the industry recover? No. It had one foot in the grave all this time anyhow.
Screenshot 2023-01-15 110215.jpg
My arsenal includes a floor unit Roland V-Bass with the midi pickup. That has a bit of a synth in it for bass. It gets into modeling, but will incorporate samples in too. The whole thing is 'sub par', is never used, and that is sooo Roland. Eh, it works with the special pickup for a few unique things(string assignments). This is a new rig, going in a new direction. Also. Bass synths are strange. You kinda want the cheap, crappy one. It's dirty and fun, and sometimes has a personality all its own..like that Digitech SynthWah, always going up in price. Because it's good.

Its just cool stuff.

* edit.. the Fender M80 Bass amp was defective and was returned..the search for a new sound continues.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-15 105941.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-15 105941.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
a.jpg

I just checked out a couple reviews on YouTube. This one was terrible - sound was awful and the guy could barely keep it in his lap while sitting. Sounds like a toy guitar.
It is the same style body as my 6 string Hofner Shorty, which is also very difficult to hold, either standing up or sitting down.

I think instead of calling these shorty guitars, they should be played on our laps and called long-scale city dulcimers.

What are yall using for a Bass synth? Tell me you are adding in something, to get in touch with your bad self. It is part of the reason you play bass..bass synths. Blending the sounds in
I'm not opposed to bass synths in principle because every sound is valid and has some application, somewhere.
But while I use synths and will use the bass notes {same as I would on a piano or organ}, I've never yet felt the need to use an actual bass synth.
Mind you, that could change any time soon.

I keep toying with the idea of using IK Multimedia's MODO Bass plugin. Mainly for the clean low notes. I'm not too interested in mousing my way around a bass neck.

I don’t use a bass synth. I have a bass and it sounds fantastic.

I take that back. When I was having fun playing with dubstep a decade ago, I used bass synths. That was a blast, but not something I wanted to pursue further.

On one of the songs I recorded recently, I used a VSTi bass synth for a drone note that really adds some 'foreboding' as well as a deep low end to the verses. On another song, I used a MIDI-keyboard driven low bass line on a song to balance out the (real) bass line which was played higher (key of D, and I don't have a 5 string bass with low B string). If I want an acoustic double bass sound, my keyboard's sampled sound is better than any virtual synth I have, but for bowed double bass, I have a couple of VSTis I use. In other words, use what works for the song!

I've never yet felt the need to use an actual bass synth.
Never? I cant believe that.
I don’t use a bass synth
ok
I used bass synths.
yeah
That was a blast,
with you so far..continue
but not something I wanted to pursue further.
you lost me..
my keyboard's sampled sound is better than any virtual synth I have,
Those hardware favorites of the past are solid. They will always sound great for us.
but for bowed double bass, I have a couple of VSTis I use. In other words, use what works for the song!
I can appreciate that.

The new Bass, is being broken in. Working out the final kinks in the wiring. One push pull is the Tone knob, and up is Black Ice passive overdrive, and down position is normal Gretsch tone circuit.. The other is on the volume and it looks like Ill use a 'tone bypass' . For all out, balls out, signal. You got a better idea? Passive mid scoop? I dont know. Trying to stay in budget.(there is no budget)

There are some great VSTi's for sure. The Cherry CA2600 is impressive. What is it you were using?

Last edited:
Cyrpto bass hits 1000% harder. Its next level recording, all crypto'd like Rod Stewart. Yall need some crypto bass, am I right? Synthia wants it.

There is no way I'm ever answering the question..The world may never know....

Is a short scale something needed in an instrument collection?​

Screenshot 2023-01-08 085128.jpgsize matters not..
YES it does.
1674572237097.jpeg

Last edited:
I like that. Very similar to what I heard through an Ampeg RB-110 when I checked one out at GC.

Was this with the factory strings?

Last edited:
Here's my new Jazz plugged direct. No mixing. No nuthin'. Both Vol 10, Tone around 5. Original round wounds finger plucked. Accompanied by MT Pwr DK & Taylor Big Baby.

Attachments

• New Bass.mp3
    3.1 MB
Back