Is a short scale 28-30" bass something needed in an instrument collection?

LazerBeakShiek

Find Polaris..and Return
Yall think a short scale bass is needed? Sure they are fun as hell to grab and start hammering..I have 2 big fat jazz bass's, and heard that you can use them as an emergency flotation device.. Thinking I could use something fun like a short scale. What are they used for? Whats a good one?

I bought one - a copy violin bass - and I expected nothing, but the sound is great, they weigh nothing and best of all, they're so easy to play. I have not had the American jazz out of the case since I got it. I've got a lot of 'pretty' guitars on hangers which is why I bought it. I didn't; expect to actually play it much!

I bought a Gretsch G2220 short scale last year. I'm a smaller guy and found it much more comfortable to play than my J bass.

I had a 500/1 Höfner bass and an old SG bass (model unknown). My hands are relatively small, so these were very comfortable. Different sounds for sure. I like the Gretsch G2220 very much. To my ear, even though it's a solid body, it has some of the Höfner's woody tonal qualities - I don't know where it gets that from, maybe just my imagination (that psychoacoustic crap). String tension is looser, and I prefer that also. I now have a US Jazz which I like for recordings but the Gretsch G2220 is next on my list for later this year.

I've got a Rondo ~30" and a Corsair ~24".

I've found they're good for modding. When it comes to bass, I like a little heft to my instrument. But shortscales are fun to do interesting alt basses with.

Are you a bass player? I have a short scale because it's easier for me as a guitar player to play and another reason is that my left hand cannot stretch far enough to play scales properly on a 34" scale. I did like the sound of my 34 better when I had it and the strings had more tension so they weren't as floppy as a short scale. Also, if you go 5-string you really need the extra length for tension on the low string. IMO, if you need a short scale get one but a long scale has advantages.

I bought one - a copy violin bass - and I expected nothing, but the sound is great
aldw43wse9acmxkvk8yx.jpg
I bought a Gretsch G2220 short scale last year. I'm a smaller guy and found it much more comfortable to play than my J bass.
I bet it is totally awesome. Earlier in the month, I was banging on a Ibanez Mikro. That is 28.5" scale I think. It felt good. Jacksons 22 fret minion looks better.
500/1 Höfner bass
npc2pfe8rgqohplbzuri.jpgor how about Screenshot 2023-01-04 121135.jpg
now have a US Jazz which I like for recordings
My go to is the Jazz Bass.
I've found they're good for modding.
Bass mod I like, is the Black Ice on an Alpha 250k tones push/pull. Passive Overdrive.

Hearing a lot of Gretsch. Interesting....Hows a bout a Flying Vee? Does Dean make the Metalman flying V bass in shorts cale?

Last edited:
If you search the forum there's a few past posts on small scale basses, I know because I've responded to this question/topic several times over the years as a long time short scale bass player. No sense reposting the same thing (again, again, and again).

reason is that my left hand cannot stretch far enough to play scales properly on a 34" scale.
What? Adjust your technique, a functioning adult should be able to complete the fingering.
I did like the sound of my 34 better when I had it and the strings
In my previous bass recordings, I was going for the maverick big waves. Really looking for the bass tones with volume, then with all sorts of compressor experimentation, but was unhappy with it still. Where is the bass tone at? So I start reading about how a short scale bass makes better use of the low end sub frequencies to allow for a more colorful sound. Now i want to try a short scale. Where does that get me.

Like that above Hofner with 24 frets on a 28.5" scale. The frets are too small and get clustered together up high on the neck. Why I always thought the small scales were for kids. The thick bass string with such a short distance between them..feels silly. The Gretsch G2220 has a 30.3" scale with 20 frets, and it graduates up the neck with a lot more space. The neck seems to have more engineering into it, more than say the Jackson Minion's neck (but I dont wanna be a minion). Neck being bolt on, doesn't bother me. Classic styling, and the afore mentioned, makes it a better guitar. Now I like the Gretsch G2220. Also, I saw new Yamahas with the 6 string guitars' having 27 frets..20's enough.

Screenshot 2023-01-05 042025.jpg
Should I get walnut or imperial finish?

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer the Tobacco Sunburst. I know it's a bit traditional, but it actually looks even better when in hand. The Walnut is really nice too, but my old SG had the same finish so I kinda stay away from that anymore. I think it all goes back to an '82 Cutlass Supreme I had in "Carmine" red with matching interior. I guess that's what really burned me out on that shade of red. Just don't go for for the butt-ugly Bristol Fog - unless you really like that, then in that case I'd have to say how much I'm impressed by your refined taste.

Those Shorty Höfner bass guitars you posted interest me. I'm wondering what they sound like. I know they'll feel good because they couldn't not feel good. I'm going to hunt around on YouTube for some demos.

Last edited:
a.jpg

I just checked out a couple reviews on YouTube. This one was terrible - sound was awful and the guy could barely keep it in his lap while sitting. Sounds like a toy guitar.

b.jpg

This one. . . well, this one was amazing as far as sound goes. It's a solid body, yet sounds like it's hollow body violin brother - has that great woody tone of the Beatle Bass models (the guy replaced the Hofner strings with some La Bella flats and they rock). Both reviewers disliked the neck due to width and the rough surface on the back side. Another reviewer on this one said it sounded nothing like the hollow body Beatle bass. Now I know it ain't exactly like the Beatle bass, but it does have a good bit of that sound going for it - the Humbucking PU (?), I suppose.

Last edited:
I just checked out a couple reviews on YouTube. This one was terrible - sound was awful and the guy could barely keep it in his lap while sitting. Sounds like a toy guitar.
Thats what I was thinking it would be like, but you never know..

Out of China a company called 'Shelly New Store?' is selling a HEADLESS flying V in short Scale..This one is a bit iffy..
Screenshot 2023-01-04 234209.jpg

You guys got cases for your g2220's? Options?
0996444000.pngScreenshot 2023-01-05 063324.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-05 132636.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-05 131504.jpg
??

Looks like the best G2220 deal I could find was $209. Open Box. In Walnut. SOLD!

Last edited:
I just remembered I got some new strings to put on my Gretsch. They got buried under lyric sheets.

Attachments

• PXL_20220620_012940617.jpg
    PXL_20220620_012940617.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Some things to add..
Screenshot 2023-01-05 170015.jpg
STRAPLOCKS!! free ship just $12 bucks. Cheap insurance.
Screenshot 2023-01-05 172852.jpgclayton 1mm pick - Google Search — Mozilla Firefox 1_5_2023 5_45_01 PM.png
NO LOGO , Gretsch knobs. Clean. Cool. Under my control..Thick ergonomic 1mm metal bass pick.
Screenshot 2023-01-05 180701.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-05 180736.jpg
tone mod.
I just remembered I got some new strings to put on my Gretsch. They got buried under lyric sheets.
Bass strings! What should I do? 40 95's ? I think I got a set from my others...Ernie Ball extra slinky bass 40-95. Or something else? La Bella's?

Yes, Spantini...I went with the Case in Tweed. After all, Gretsch is Fender brand.

Last edited:
Back