How do I make a headset mic line level?

dumnone

I got a plantronics blackwire c5220
I called sweetwater asked about a rolls pm60 personal monitor mic preamp cause some reviewer on their site said it was compatible with a headset. Sweetwater dude wasn't getting it. Ended the call suggesting it would work so I bought it and it is incompatible with the mic. I have to get very very close to my headset mic and max the gain and mic input and it sounds distortedly loud and is far too quiet.

So I want to know: how do I make a headset mic line level? I just wanna be able to monitor myself with my headset mic not buy a 1000000000000000000000000 dollar standalone tree to speak into.

Wrong thing for the job. That's a gaming mic/headphone combo, with a 4 conductor mini plug for plugging straight into a laptop.

Wrong thing for the job. That's a gaming mic/headphone combo, with a 4 conductor mini plug for plugging straight into a laptop.
I am using a female 4 conductor mini plug splitter cable to dual trs, 1 for mic output and 1 for phones output

and I am plugging the 1/8 trs mic output into a 1/8 female to 1/4 male trs adapter and plugging that adapter into a xlr female to xlr male adapter and plugging that into the mic-xlr-in on the back

The guy from sweetwater expressed uncertainty about how I would make the connection work with an adapter and said he didn't know whether an adapter existed. So I just bought some adapters that seemed like they would work.

The TRS for the mic is likely stereo-compatible with a mono signal. The TRS-XLR is for a balanced signal. They are not directly compatible. If you could disconnect the TRS ring contact from the XLR, it might work, but if the TRS-XLR adapter has molded ends, that might not be possible.

The TRS for the mic is likely stereo-compatible with a mono signal. The TRS-XLR is for a balanced signal. They are not directly compatible. If you could disconnect the TRS ring contact from the XLR, it might work, but if the TRS-XLR adapter has molded ends, that might not be possible.
20220818_163130.jpg so you're saying remove the ring on the 1/8? or the 1/4? Could I just buy a 1/8 female to 1/4 male ts adapter instead?

Here is the wiring diagram for TRRS along with typical TS and TRS. The challenge is ensuring the pinout of the adaptors you are using gets you + and - to the input as Boulder says. The adaptor I use, the mic side is 1/8 TRS which at first glance, doesn't make sense. I'm not certain which is + and - but the adaptor TRS has to have two that are the same from the TRRS. A meter doing a quick continuity check on the pins might make things a bit clearer.

Screen Shot 08-18-22 at 05.31 PM.JPG

I got a plantronics blackwire c5220
I called sweetwater asked about a rolls pm60 personal monitor mic preamp cause some reviewer on their site said it was compatible with a headset. Sweetwater dude wasn't getting it. Ended the call suggesting it would work so I bought it and it is incompatible with the mic. I have to get very very close to my headset mic and max the gain and mic input and it sounds distortedly loud and is far too quiet.

So I want to know: how do I make a headset mic line level? I just wanna be able to monitor myself with my headset mic not buy a 1000000000000000000000000 dollar standalone tree to speak into.
You need a simple interface, a lapel or headset mic, and some shitty headphones will do. Looking at maybe 300 bucks for entry level stuff.

Don't stress over 100000000000000000000000000000000 cost. You just have to get what will work for you and your needs.

You will never make a USB gaming mic work for much because other than ease of use for gaming. It is a USB device that works only with digital connection to PC.

Do some more Googling or ask here for more advice.

And welcome to the forum! :)

You need a simple interface, a lapel or headset mic, and some shitty headphones will do. Looking at maybe 300 bucks for entry level stuff.

Don't stress over 100000000000000000000000000000000 cost. You just have to get what will work for you and your needs.

You will never make a USB gaming mic work for much because other than ease of use for gaming. It is a USB device that works only with digital connection to PC.

Do some more Googling or ask here for more advice.

And welcome to the forum! :)
The USB interface is a separate piece for this, and the headset is standard.

I apologize if I misunderstood.
I only run into this stuff because Poly used to be Polycom and I run a company that specializes in teleconferencing. The thing I hate the most is the adaption of the 1/8inch jack on this gear. Some of it is 1/8 TRS and others 1/8TRRS. It is all stupid.

I only run into this stuff because Poly used to be Polycom and I run a company that specializes in teleconferencing. The thing I hate the most is the adaption of the 1/8inch jack on this gear. Some of it is 1/8 TRS and others 1/8TRRS. It is all stupid.
So my plantronics headset has 1/8TRRS, and you said "the adaptor TRS has to have two that are the same from the TRRS. A meter doing a quick continuity check on the pins might make things a bit clearer" . What do you mean by "have two that are the same from the TRRS"? Since the adapter is female to male, how even would I assess the continuity? I do have an extra adapter that I could cut open if that is necessary.

So my plantronics headset has 1/8TRRS, and you said "the adaptor TRS has to have two that are the same from the TRRS. A meter doing a quick continuity check on the pins might make things a bit clearer" . What do you mean by "have two that are the same from the TRRS"?
If you look at the image I posted of the TRRS, you'll note that there is one mic+ and a common ground used for the headphones and mic. The Y cable (I presume that is what you have?) splits the L&R plus ground for the headphones and the other side of the Y cable is the microphone. On mine, it is TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) but there are only Mic + and ground on the TRRS. See what I mean? Two going to three on most Y cable adaptors.

View attachment 120555 so you're saying remove the ring on the 1/8? or the 1/4? Could I just buy a 1/8 female to 1/4 male ts adapter instead?
Disconnect the ring anywhere along the path, or disconnect pin 3 in the XLR. If you get signal and no buzz, you're good to go.

Possibly, yes, a TS adapter might to the trick. But I wouldn't guarantee it. The problem is that you're interfacing conceptually different wiring systems.

If you look at the image I posted of the TRRS, you'll note that there is one mic+ and a common ground used for the headphones and mic. The Y cable (I presume that is what you have?) splits the L&R plus ground for the headphones and the other side of the Y cable is the microphone. On mine, it is TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) but there are only Mic + and ground on the TRRS. See what I mean? Two going to three on most Y cable adaptors.
ok I understand but
Since the adapter is female to male, how even would I assess the continuity? I do have an extra adapter that I could cut open if that is necessary.

I think I get it, the female trrs end has mic signal on the bottom and its connected to the tip and ring both on the male trs y microphone cable to make continuity with it. So the female trrs y cable trs male microphone out side has mic on both tip and ring apparently, and seems like ground on the ground.

Multimeter was buggin out on me

Now that I figured that out, does this certify incompatibility?

Last edited:
So maybe i could just get a 1/8 ts male to bare wire and swap the trs mic connector with it

Like this

Would that disconnect pin 3 on the xlr?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-184223_Adblock Browser.png
    Screenshot_20220818-184223_Adblock Browser.png
    358.4 KB · Views: 0
Disconnect the ring anywhere along the path, or disconnect pin 3 in the XLR. If you get signal and no buzz, you're good to go.

Possibly, yes, a TS adapter might to the trick. But I wouldn't guarantee it. The problem is that you're interfacing conceptually different wiring systems.
What 2 concepts am i interfacing?

I read that aux line level is not the same as line level. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:
Back