Antelope Audio- ZEN GO

CoolCat

I was looking for a High Res DAC headphone amp with high end converters and also a Straight forward 2ch Interface..(.with RealTime DSP onboard plugins preferred).
Test drove a few and have owned several interfaces and tried a couple headphone amps, the Apollo too pricey, budget pieces dont have the headphone audiophile stuff...
but when this ZEN GO loaded up on my old USB Windows 8/10 64bit standard plain pc, and it included the "Real Time" plugins with onboard DSP for zero latency , as they call it...and listened to some Bach and Mozart and audio files......I was impressed to drop this positive review.

With 2 standard mic INPUTS, or Line IN....and add 2 more inputs if you have a SPDIF out DUAL preamp or Keyboard etc.....then its 4 qty IN.
Excellent specs and layout. Soooo simple to operate....the ZEN GO, is so user friendly, it feels like theres physical room too and there is! A very "well done" layout.... 5 star for Layout. ⭐

Outputs shine even more, two separate Headphone amp outs that can drive 250ohm ok, 120ohm very well and the standard Senn HD280 64ohm can blow out your ears! Actually the 250ohm Beyers are a very safe volume, with the mixer at 0db and the Volume max'd and Mozart 96k playing its just right and safe levels. Im enjoying the 120 OHM and have some room to get louder if need be. Each Headphone or Monitor output, has its own volume and mute. The specs are all above my brain with the Antelopes forte' in converters and high tech ability.. Its a great high end DAC Headphone amp, imo. :listeningmusic:

Now we can also get into the Recording side of things as ZEN GO is also a Interface. :D:guitar:
I always preferred a DAW>Interface setup without the "middle mixer" stuff, the ones I tried were routing hassles and just a pain.
The ZEN GO / ANTELOPE did a Mixer that's simple and actually benefits the unit and makes Tracking with Real Time Plugs or "clean" simple and easy (even for me!)
Antelope Audio got the Mixer just right for having a control with the "system" on the big screen. It works with my Reaper and I wont get into it all, as I'm still learning , but I didn't need the manual to get it working and recording some tracks.

LOADED: I read Cons, but Im betting those who had issues with the Launcher probably had their Firewalls and Adblockers on, because mine took minutes and Im NOT a software guy but I have had those same issues when I forget to turn them off. This is a 2021 model with all the newest software updates so maybe that helped my positive experience.

COST: I dropped $500 and there was some specials going on for free 15 extra plugins in addition to 32 others, and I got Thanksgiving discount to $450...(and then later a FREE $75 LA2A PLUGIN for some positive review). Check out the picture for the assortment of plugins that comes in the deal, pretty sweet. I think I read you can slap up to 8qty plugins on each track or something like that. I prefer 2 or 3.

Attachments

• ZEN GO plugsrealtime.png
    ZEN GO plugsrealtime.png
    852.4 KB · Views: 3
add a short update to this piece, to share "review" opinion.

1) the company responded well to any emails
2) the sound is really pleasing.....old HiFi folks get it, like a difference between a Marantz or a NAD, or ADCOM etc...Pioneer , Sony HiFi, there was some "character" maybe as some say its the filtering in the Convertors...I dont know.
3) The headphone amp is pushing max with the Beyer 880 250ohm, the Senn HD280 and the Takstar 120ohm? ish are fine. The 250ohm requires full max on the digital gain, it still takes it well and is a "safe loud" volume for long term listening...but Im sure some would like to blast the 250-600 phm headphones, like my Grace Design Headphone amp could do (I miss that unit..)

4) technically the reset of the unit happens, due to power outages in the house or Windows updates I didnt ask for....but
its very smooth, I simply unplug my Type C cable and plug it back in ...and wait a few seconds and its online. 5 stars on that part of it.
5) the Real Time plugs have done well, I might enjoy more guitar amps, the preamps and comps and really nice EQ's came with it free. No problems there either.

2 months gone by, short update for this thing.
Its a classy hi-quality unit for much cheaper than the Apollo Twin , which is the similar unit.
The cheap Line 6 UX2 still holds its own for this kind of stuff, as the bottom , underdog also two channel with realtime plugins.

a new year later....2023... a small update in the Review Section

The Zen Go thoughts, a year later, is still a quality build piece, imo.
Still a good vibe of the precision smooth large knob that has some weight and feels hi-end,. Its large and easy to scroll.

As a DAC-
The Headphone amps are a joy for listening, its maybe one if not the best sounding amps of interfaces Ive owned. Im not saying its as good as a separate Grace Design 903, but compared to audio interfaces its possibly the best Ive had. Senn 280, Takstar open back, and Beyer Dynamic DT 880 250ohm work fine. I use this unit for all my listening these days. My findings is if a interface has above average headphone amp they will list it in the specs and put it in the marketing papers.

As a Recording Interface-
Theres been really nothing wrong with it at all.
Rebooting with the USB C plug for updates, make sure firewalls are off...check in to the Antelope Audio site all gets easier and easier , as one uses it. The 2-Channels have RealTime plugins, it feeds my REAPER without issues. Nothing to complain about. Its solid, well done.

Tech Support - I havent needed any since the first month or so...but they were great when needed.

A little more money...
Audiophile gearheads appreciate some of the finer details I suppose and maybe more obsessive over fine polished metal instead of plastic and will pay for it.
Its smooth precision larger metal knobs with scroll ability for menus also laid out well. My first Line 6 UX2 was great but it was plastic, headphone amp horrific, and yet Used for $45 was great...but if a person wants to upgrade from that entry world the ZEN GO is worth a shot imo. It also has a Type C port to run off USB computer port for power, but if you want more juice you can use the higher amp, wall units and a smartphone like charger.

Antelope is known for hi-end converters and I will accept that data. Several studios use their gear, and I dont have a Oscilloscope for clocking study and the super depth knowledge stuff.

I would compare the lowest level as my Line 6 UX2 used for $45. Its plastic, headphone amp pretty weak, has great software and a can make HR recording too, its disposable and portable. The ZEN GO used running at $300. So for $150 you get a lot more imo. Line 6 podfarm stuff is pretty killer for real-time but Zen Go has much much more...and if you do SDIF you have 2qty more Inputs.

interfaces ive messed with: line 6ux2, ux8, motu 828,porta, Focusrites a few, Tascam 1641, 1, EMU, Behringer, and maybe a few Ive forgotten.

Back