Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Aaah. Makes sense!

That fidelity of the recording didn't sound like an analog mix to me, so your process makes a lot of sense. Use each tool for what it does best.

Thanks!

3 tracks. My interface has only 2 inputs, so I took it off the mixer. My A8 is so old. The tape tracks don't line up so well anymore. If possible, Im going to get some NR in the DAW. To me it sounded good enough to share. However, is mildly compressed a few times.

1-Voc
2-Guit
3-Bass

Analog is so beautiful. I still love working with tape.

Last edited:
I like it! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Great playing, great vocals! To me itโ€™s like a electric coffee shop performance ๐Ÿ˜Ž or one of those exotic European outdoor location performances where a crowd gathers around. Youโ€™ve seen the videos.

Every thing is Very fresh and up front. I had trouble detecting a bass track but then again itโ€™s way early for me and I listened on my phone.

But, Iโ€™m impressed. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Probably most of my posts in this sub-forum involve advice to steer away from recording on tape unless you're really prepared to invest the time, money and effort to do it at a very high level, so I thought it would be a nice change of pace if I posted an actual analog recording of my own. I recorded this in 1995 on a Sony WM-D6C with Dolby C engaged. The mic was an Audio-Technica AT9400, a budget plastic predecessor to the AT821. It's a live house concert recording of a "world music" trio, two mandolins and tablas.

Hi,

this is my first analog recording. It was recorded on Tascam ATR60-8 and mixed via Soundcraft MH-2. Outboard FXs were only DBX166XL and MDX2600 (old one from 90s) compressors, and some guitar reverb in parallel. Drums were recorded into 2 tracks and mixed while recording. After that was recorded bass, 2 guitars and 2 vocals. One track was left for additional ideas, but nothing happend :) Mix is very raw and I really like it.

It's song about being pissed of (from everybody) :)

Bit late, but better late than never!
Well, this music is right up my road.
Thrash...reminds me a bit of Kreator in a way. Some tastes of black metal in the guitar work. I hear a lot of influences done well

Here's a guitar instrumental cover of Yngwie Malmsteen's "I am a Viking" done on the Tascam TSR-8 1/2" 8-track. All percussion was generated in the computer, then printed to tape before any tracking. All bass, guitars and keys were tracked live to tape. Mixed in the DAW.

I Am A Viking

The Buster James Band - signed in the late 70s but never made the top level - been touring the UK ever since - they had the usual lineup changes but this was a lost album - I copied the master for the Roger James in the late 70s - and the record company deal fell through and that one never got released and he'd forgotten about it and didn't even have a copy until I found the copy I made for myself - which I gave him back a few months back.

The Buster James Band - signed in the late 70s but never made the top level - been touring the UK ever since - they had the usual lineup changes but this was a lost album - I copied the master for the Roger James in the late 70s - and the record company deal fell through and that one never got released and he'd forgotten about it and didn't even have a copy until I found the copy I made for myself - which I gave him back a few months back.
That's a shame, but nice you managed to return it to him!

Seeing as we've been talking about this, and seeing as I've just stumbled out of another Lonely Few live to two track recording session here is one of the results.

Fast Food - a song about how the industry has our best interests at heart...

Recorded via the Studer 089 to the Revox PR99 two track 1/4" with all of us in the same room with no effects or compressors using a bunch of old mikes including an AKG C414B-ULS, AKG D190, AKG D112, EV RE10, EV RE11, EV PL6 (x2) EV RE200 and a Sennheiser e606. No di's or AD conversions during recording as usual. Oh, and a megaphone.

Mastered (if you can call it that) to the Nagra 1/4" full track mono recorder through a few bits of outboard and digitized to a 320 kb mp3 via a 48kHz/24 bit .BWF made on the Fostex CR500 master recorder from the Nagra's playback head as it was being mastered...

http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/MediaView.aspx?MediaId=137080

With a bit of luck, we might get this thread as a sticky?

G
Sorry I think I might have posted this in the wrong section but I will try again. A little college demo done with an Atari and a basic Korg X5 synth and an analogue 4 track recorder and one old SM58 30 years ago.

Attachments

• Where Angels Fear To Tread.mp3
    5.4 MB
Bit of Zep and early Maiden in there as well ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ Been going through my old boxed tapes on the DCC and found some treasured recordings of my gigs and rehearsals from nearly 40 years ago which I never realised I still had. Keep the music and the thread alive guys ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Back